EDEL 1440 Final Project
Mixing Soap with Water and Pepper
3 and above
I want my students to learn about the physical properties of a water surface and how it is
modified by detergent for this lesson. The surface of water behaves quite differently
from the interior. This behavior is modified by the addition of small amounts of
1. Fill the bowl with water
-Look at the pepper. Describe what you see.
2. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of pepper above the water
3. Dip the tip of the toothpick in the liquid soap
4. Place the tip of the toothpick with the soap side into the water.
5. Watch to see what happens
-How did the detergent keep the pepper from floating on water?
-How did the pepper float on water?
-What does the soap do to the water?
I would grade the students by how they answered the questions. This is a fun experiment,
so I would also assess to see how much they were enjoying the lab.
1. Students will become aware of their beliefs related to the behavior of the physical
properties of water.
2. Students will confront their ideas.
3. Students will be able to revise their ideas.
4. Students will show respect for the opinions of others.
5. Students will collect necessary data.