Indian River Lagoon Activity.
Go to the following web sites and read through the various sections. Answer the
questions below based on your readings.
1. What is a lagoon? Distinguish among leaky lagoons, choked lagoons and
restricted lagoons. What type is the Indian River Lagoon?
2. What 3 ocean inlets feed into the Indian River Lagoon?
3. We can think of an organism’s habitat as its __________. What are the 8 habitats
found in the IRL?
4. Name and describe the three true species of mangroves found in the IRL.
5. What is biodiversity? How many species of animals and plants make their home
in the IRL? Why is loss of species a problem?
6. How many endangered species make their homes in the IRL? [Name 5.] How
many threatened species are found there? [Name 3].
7. The Indian River Lagoon (IRL) is located in what type of climate zone[s]?
8. What does the acronym “IRLNEP” stand for? What are some of the long-standing
threats to the IRL?
9. Several fairly recent, possibly interconnected wildlife-related mysteries in the
IRL remain unsolved. Name and describe one of these.
10. What do turbidity, salinity and chlorophyll a measurements tells us about the IRL.
What problems may they reflect?