Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out




Introduction                                                     page 1

Section 1. The Faculty of Science
1.1   Introduction                                               page 2
1.2   The Faculty of Science                                     page 2
1.3   The Graduate Studies Committee                             page 3

Section 2. A Guide to Higher Degrees in the Faculty of Science
2.1   General                                                    page 4
2.2   Postgraduate Diploma                                       page 4
2.3   The Degree of Master of Science (MSc)                      page 4
2.4   The Degree of Master of Research (MRes)                    page 5
2.5   The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)                   page 5
2.6   Examinations                                               page 6
2.7   Submission of the Thesis                                   page 6
2.8   Suspension of Study                                        page 7
2.9   Extension to the Period of Study                           page 7
2.10 Guidelines on the Monitoring of Students’ Progress          page 7

Section 3. Administration
3.1   Academic year 2011/2012                                    page 9
3.2   Registration Information                                   page 9
3.3   Rules and Regulations for Students                         page 9
3.4   Fees                                                       page 9
3.5   Field Work Expenses                                        page 10
3.6   Council Tax and National Insurance                         page 10
3.7   Opportunities for Postgraduate Students                    page 11
3.8   Payment for Invigilation of Examinations                   page 11
3.9   Car Parking                                                page 11
3.10 Parking for Bicycles and Motorbikes                         page 11
3.11 Crime Prevention and Security                               page 11

Section 4. Academic Communications and Facilities
4.1   Communications                                             page 13
4.2   Dignity at Work and Study                                  page 13
4.3   Freedom of Speech                                          page 14
4.4   Intellectual Property Policy                               page 14
4.5   Information Services                                       page 14
4.6   Language Facilities                                        page 15
4.7   Training                                                   page 16
4.8   Research Colloquia                                         page 17
4.9   Research and Enterprise Development (RED)                  page 17

Section 5. Safety
5.1   Safety Advice                                              page 18
5.2   Research Involving Ionising Radiation                      page 19

Section 6. Students’ Union
6.1   The Students' Union                                        page 20

Section 7.   Prizes and Other Awards for Postgraduate Students   page 21

Section 8.   Appendices:
      A.     Emergency contacts                                  page 22
      B.     Introduction to Intellectual Property               page 23


I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you as a postgraduate student in the
Faculty of Science at the University of Bristol.

The aim of this booklet is to provide information about the University, its facilities, and the
opportunities available to you as a science postgraduate. It includes guidelines for
good practice for your period of study, and I urge you to read these carefully. There is
also information on societies and social activities that you may find useful.

Further information will be available from your School, and you should contact your
supervisor or course organiser as soon as possible. If you have any queries at any time
then this is the first person to approach. An alternative is your Head of Graduate
School/Graduate Tutor, and you can find out from your School who has this role.
Finally, if there are any academic matters you would like to discuss outside your School
at any time during your studies, then I, as Graduate Dean in the Faculty of Science, will
be happy to see you.

I wish you a happy, rewarding and successful time at Bristol.

Dr Heidy M Mader
Graduate Dean, Faculty of Science

                         SECTION 1. THE FACULTY OF SCIENCE

      The University College of Bristol was founded in 1876; it was granted a Royal
      Charter and became the University of Bristol in 1909. Teaching and research in
      Science have played a prominent part in the life of the University since its early
      days. The nine original members of the academic staff in 1876 included a
      professor and lecturer in Chemistry, together with lecturers in Mathematics,
      Experimental Physics, Botany and Zoology, and Geology. Today the Faculty of
      Science has an academic staff of about 600 and comprises the Schools of Earth
      Sciences, Experimental Psychology, Mathematics, Physics, Biological Sciences,
      Chemistry, and Geographical Sciences. The School of Geographical Sciences
      also belongs to the Faculty of Social Sciences and Law.

      Science has established good cross-school and cross-faculty links in teaching
      and research. Research Centres within the Faculty include Behavioural Biology,
      Biogeochemistry, BRIDGE (Bristol Initiative for the Dynamic Global Environment),
      COGNIT (Cognition and Information Technology Research Centre),
      Environmental & Geophysical Flows, Interface Analysis, Physics & Engineering
      Research in Medicine, and Quantum Information. The very successful Molecular
      Recognition Centre links Science with the Faculty of Medical & Veterinary
      Sciences particularly well; the Quantum Information Group links Science with the
      Faculty of Engineering; and the School of Geographical Sciences provides an
      important interaction with the Faculty of Social Sciences & Law. There are also
      strong and successful cross-faculty interactions in Climate Change, Cognition,
      Nanotechnology and Neuroscience.

      Faculty Officers
      Dean                                  Professor J Keating (Mathematics)
      Graduate Dean                         Dr HM Mader (Earth Sciences)
      and Faculty Education Director
      Undergraduate Dean                    Professor J Noyes (Experimental Psychology)
      and Faculty Education Director
      Faculty Research Director             Professor A Hetherington (Biological Sciences)

      Faculty Office Personnel
      Faculty Manager                       Ms Christine Fraser      (0117) 33 17650
      Faculty Education Manager             Dr Mora McCallum         (0117) 92 89958
      Graduate Administration Manager       Mrs Joy Moody            (0117) 92 88209
      Senior Education Administrator        Miss Caroline Falzon     (0117) 92 88208
      Faculty Education Officer             Ms Kirsten Slater        (0117) 33 17397
      Postgraduate Administrator            Mrs Phillippa            (0117) 92 88126
      Education Administrator               Mr Ed Troughton          (0117) 92 89957
      Senior Executive Assistant            Ms Claire-Lise Braun     (0117) 33 17479
      Administrative Assistant              Miss Sophie Cran         (0117) 33 17478

      All postgraduate email enquiries should be directed to

The Faculty Office is located on the first floor of Royal Fort House Annexe, in the
University precinct. The office is open from 9 am to 5 pm and can issue letters for
Council Tax exemption, proof of student status and opening bank accounts. You
can also obtain procedural advice and general assistance. We close for lunch 1-
2pm during the vacation.


The Graduate Studies Committee considers postgraduate matters in the Faculty
of Science. In its open business section, policy and procedures are discussed
and new programmes and units approved. In its reserved business, the
Committee can act as an examination board for all taught Masters programmes,
although separate MSc Examination board meetings are held twice a year. The
Committee comprises academic representatives from each school and three
postgraduate students and is chaired by the Graduate Dean. The student
representatives are taken from the pool of postgraduate student representatives
that attend the Faculty of Science Board. Please contact your departmental
representative (see list below) if you would be interested in serving as a student


School                         Representative            Telephone No.

Biological Sciences            Prof R Wall               (0117) 9549182
Chemistry                      Prof N Allan              (0117) 9287672
Earth Sciences                 Prof P Donoghue           (0117) 9545440
Experimental Psychology        Dr J Parks                (0117) 9288458
Geographical Sciences          Dr J Freer                (0117) 3318388
Mathematics                    Prof J Marklof            (0117) 928 7980
Physics                        Prof W Schwarzacher       (0117) 928 8709



      The qualifications of candidates who do not hold an Honours degree from a UK
      University are considered individually by the Faculty. A copy of the Ordinances
      and Regulations governing the degree for which you are registered will have
      been sent to you when you were offered a place to study at Bristol. The attention
      of candidates accepted for higher degrees by research is drawn to the
      ‘Regulations and Code of Practice for Research Degree Programmes’ at:


      The Faculty of Science offers two postgraduate diploma programmes; Clinical
      Neuropsychology and Applied Neuropsychology both delivered by the School of
      Experimental Psychology.


      The degree may be gained either (a) by Research or (b) by Advanced Study
      and Research.

(a)   Degree of MSc by Research: This course is of 12 months' minimum duration.
      Students are required to carry out full-time research, except for attending such
      postgraduate lecture courses as may be prescribed by the school in which the
      research is being pursued. Under certain circumstances, students may study
      elsewhere for this degree. The degree is awarded on the basis of the
      presentation and examination of a thesis, and an oral examination.

(b)   Degree of MSc by Advanced Study and Research: The course for the degree of
      MSc by Advanced Study and Research extends over 50 weeks’ study. Students
      attend a course of lectures during the first two terms of the session, and, except in
      Mathematics, undergo formal laboratory training during this period; written
      examinations are normally held in April. Students then spend a period of not less
      than 10 weeks carrying out a research investigation, which forms the basis of a
      thesis that is presented at the conclusion of the course.

      The attention of candidates accepted for taught postgraduate degrees is drawn
      to the Regulations and Code of Practice for Taught Programmes at:

      A student whose performance is outstanding may be awarded the degree "with

      The criteria for awarding a MSc with Distinction in the Faculty of Science are:

         a mark of 65% or over for the taught part, plus
         a mark of 70% or over for the dissertation,
          with an overall average greater than 70%

      A student may be awarded the degree "with Merit ". The criteria for awarding a
      MSc with Merit in the Faculty of Science are:

         a mark of 60% or over for the taught part, plus
         a mark of 60% or over for the dissertation.

      Where a programme contains two dissertation/project units, the weighted
      average of the two units will be used to calculate the dissertation component, for
      the purposes of assessing whether the award should be a Pass or made with
      Merit or Distinction.

      All MSc by Advanced Study and Research programmes allow the opportunity for
      students to be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma or Certificate. The criteria for
      the award of each of these are outlined in the General Regulations for Taught
      Postgraduate Programmes, available via

      Courses for MSc by Advanced Study and Research are available in:

      Palaeobiology (School of Earth Sciences)
      Neuropsychology (School of Experimental Psychology)
      Research Methods in Psychology (School of Experimental Psychology)

      Some of the above courses can be taken on a part-time basis. Please contact
      the school.

      A part-time only course – MSc in Ecology and Management of the Natural
      Environment (School of Biological Sciences) - is also available, and extends over
      24 months of part-time study. This course commences in alternate years.

      Further details of these courses may be obtained from the School concerned.
      The courses are designed to provide training in advanced fields of study that
      cannot be treated adequately at the undergraduate level. They may serve
      either as an introduction to research, or as training for industrial research in the
      relevant field, or as a refresher course for those who wish to bring their knowledge
      of a given subject up-to-date.


      The MRes is a taught postgraduate programme leading to an award at level M.
      Its aim is to provide a structured and progressive training programme which is an
      adequate foundation for doctoral study or a research career in industry or the
      public sector. The duration of a full-time MRes programme will normally be one
      calendar year, or the equivalent for part-time attendance.

      Courses for MRes are available in:

      Vision Sciences (School of Experimental Psychology)
      Statistics (School of Mathematics)
      Earth System Science (School of Earth Sciences)
      Science of Natural Hazards (School of Earth Sciences)


      The PhD is a research degree. It may be obtained either by presentation of a
      dissertation after a minimum period of research, which is either three years (full-
      time) or the part-time equivalent; or for graduates of the University or members of
      staff, by the submission of published work, all of which may have been done
      elsewhere, no sooner than six years after graduation. Under certain
      circumstances and conditions students may study elsewhere for a PhD.
      Candidates are required to attend an oral examination.

      Current University regulations specify that the maximum period for full time study
      of a PhD is four years, unless the Faculty permits an extension of study. However,
      most funding for full-time research students, including Research Council
      Studentships and University Scholarships, finishes after 3 or 3.5 years. Whilst the
      Faculty of Science operates within the University regulations, we strongly
      recommend that students aim to complete their PhD within the funded period.

      The principal reason for this policy is that students can experience financial
      hardship once their studentship terminates, which encourages them to take full-
      time employment. This often proves to be demanding, and experience has
      shown that the thesis is either never written, or is written without due care.
      Additionally, if the thesis is submitted after four years, the University may be
      penalised for failing to ensure adequate completion rates. Students who choose
      to remain unemployed in order to complete within the four-year period are
      unable to claim Government benefits. Moreover, such students may not be
      exempt from Council Tax. Overseas students in particular find this a difficult time
      because their sponsors expect completion within the funded period, and their
      maintenance may be terminated, and their visas expire.


      Examination papers, where taken, are normally double-marked or the marks
      moderated by the internal and external examiners. All marking is anonymous.


      The required format and layout and procedures relating to submission of your
      thesis are outlined in the following documents:

            for PhD/MSc by Research: ‘‘Regulations and Code of Practice for
            Research Degree Programmes’ at:

            for MRes and MSc by Advanced Study and Research: ‘Regulations and
            Code of Practice for Taught Programmes’ at:

      Students are strongly advised to ensure that the comments of their Supervisor on
      the final draft of the thesis are sought before formal submission.

       Whether you are studying for MSc by Advanced Study and Research, MSc by
       Research, MRes or PhD by Research, the University's regulations require that
       dissertations must be completed and submitted within the time allowed for the
       relevant degree. Submission periods are as follows:

       PhD - full-time:         Submission within four years of commencement of study

       PhD - part-time:         Part-time equivalent to the full-time period

       MSc by Research:         Submission within three years of commencement

       MSc by Research:         Part-time equivalent to the full-time period

       MRes and MSc by Advanced Study and Research:
                            Submission within 50 weeks of commencement if full-
                            time, or part-time equivalent.


       If you are ill, or need to take maternity leave, or are otherwise unable to study,
       you and your supervisor should submit a request in writing to the Graduate Dean
       for a suspension of study for the appropriate period. A Suspension of Study
       should be requested at the time of inability to study. Requests for Suspension of
       Study should be made on the appropriate form available from the appropriate
       school/department and be accompanied by a medical certificate and/or other
       appropriate documentation. If a suspension is granted, your submission date will
       be extended to take these circumstances into account, and you will be notified
       of the new submission date by the Faculty.


       If you have difficulty submitting your thesis by the due date for good reason, a
       request must be made in writing to the Graduate Dean requesting an Extension
       to the deadline at least 4 months before the final completion date. This request
       must be made either by the Supervisor or by the student, preferably with the
       supervisor's written support. However, you have the right to request an Extension
       without your supervisor's support, and you should give full details of the reasons
       for the request. All requests should give an account of progress in writing the
       thesis to date together with an estimated schedule for submission of the thesis. All
       requests must be approved by the Graduate Dean as Chair of the Graduate
       Studies Committee. Requests for extensions totalling more than 12 months must
       also be approved by the Vice Chancellor. If agreed, your submission date may
       be extended. Students should note that if an Extension is granted to the period of
       study for PhD, an additional fee may be payable.
       The form is available from the appropriate school/department.


The Faculty monitors the progress of each student from registration to the
completion of the PhD. The monitoring consists of an assessment at the end of
each year of study by means of reports and interviews, together with completion
of the appropriate progress report form. There is a formal interview at which two
academic staff members are present. For students starting in October, the
suggested timetable is as follows:

All students are required to submit an annual written progress report to their
school. The progress review then involves an interview with members of the
academic staff, as follows:

      for First Years – by two people, one of whom may be the student’s
      for Second Years – by two people, not including the supervisor,
      for Third Years – by at least one person. (The supervisor does not attend the

The interview will include a discussion of the transferable skills already acquired
during the year, and identify any further transferable skills training that may be

These are the minimum requirements. Your school may wish to carry out
interviews with more than the specified minimum number of staff, but whatever
the format they must involve independent interviewers.

After the interview, a report form is completed by the interviewers, the
supervisor(s) and the student, before being countersigned by the head of school
or designated representative.

Schools may decide their own timetable for the Annual Progress Monitoring
exercise, and the format of the student’s written report. However, the deadline
for completion of the process is mid September.

In cases where progress has not been satisfactory, students may be offered the
opportunity to submit for a MSc or required to complete further work before
another progress review. Exceptionally, students may be required to terminate
their studies.

All progress reports and requests for upgrading are forwarded to the Faculty for
the approval of the Graduate Dean.

Students who start at other times during the academic session will be required to
submit their reports and be interviewed according to a timescale that has been
adjusted in relation to their commencement date.

                              SECTION 3. ADMINISTRATION

3.1   ACADEMIC YEAR 2010/11

      The University session consists of three terms:
      Autumn Term:        Monday 3 October 2011         to     Friday 16 December 2011
      Spring Term:        Friday 13 January 2012        to     Friday 23 March 2012
      Summer Term:        Monday 23 April 2012          to     Friday 22 June 2012

      The University is normally closed between 24 December and 4 January (inclusive),
      on Bank Holidays, and on the Tuesdays following the Easter Monday Holiday and
      the August Bank Holiday.


      You are required to register with the Faculty of Science at the beginning of your
      first year and every subsequent year of your studies.

      Student Card: You will apply online for a student card. The Student Card
      incorporates membership of the Library and the University of Bristol Students'
      Union, and permits access to Sports and Recreation Facilities to those students
      who have paid the appropriate fee. For reasons of security, students are
      required to carry their card whenever they are on University premises and to
      show it upon request to any member of staff of the University. The card should be
      kept as securely as a cheque card; a fee is charged for a replacement card.


      You will be asked to register online stating that you agree to be bound by the
      University's Rules and Regulations for Students. The Student Handbook is
      available at registration and from the Faculty Office. This booklet contains the
      regulations which apply to you as a student and which, in accepting a place at
      Bristol, you undertake to honour. The subjects covered include Student
      Disciplinary Regulations, Examination Regulations, Regulations for Use of the
      University Library and Computing Facilities, Code of Practice for Freedom of
      Speech, Intellectual Property Policy, Accommodation Terms and Conditions, Car
      Parking Regulations, and Statement of Good Practice for Taught Postgraduate
      Students. 'Rules and Regulations for Students' can also be accessed at

      Research students will also be provided with a copy of the Regulations and Code
      of Practice for Research Degree Programmes and postgraduate taught students
      with the Regulations and Code of Practice for Taught Programmes.

3.4   FEES

      The fees for the degree for which you are registered will have been notified in the
      Faculty's letter offering you the place to study here. These fees may increase
      each year to allow for an inflationary rise. The University reserves the right to

      charge fees beyond the minimum period if active study and research requiring
      the use of supervision and departmental facilities continues beyond this period.

      Fees may be paid in one single payment or in two or three instalments, upon
      completion and submission of the relevant Method of Payment form. Members
      of staff who are paying fees from their salary should note that a new authorisation
      to deduct from salary must be signed for each new academic session. If you
      withdraw before the end of the year or your programme of study, the University
      will consider a refund for the period remaining, less an amount for extra

      Any problems concerning payment of fees should be discussed in the first
      instance with the Income Office. This can be arranged by telephone on 0117 95
      46372. Students should be aware that the University's regulations state that no
      degree will be conferred on a student who is in debt to the University by more
      than £50 for tuition fees.


      Some (but not all) scholarships include an amount for field work and conference
      expenses. Postgraduate students who are engaged in field work as part of their
      course of study should consult their supervisor(s) or Head of School about
      securing adequate financial assistance prior to incurring the actual field expense.


      All full-time fee paying students are exempt from payment of Council Tax. If you
      are required by the Council Tax office to obtain a Certificate stating that you are
      a full-time student, you should obtain this from the Faculty Office. The Council
      Tax office will not accept a letter written by a member of staff in your School.
      Postgraduate students should note that this exemption does not automatically
      apply to the extra time allowed by the University for writing up the thesis before
      submission (normally the fourth year for PhD students). Exemption in these cases
      requires you to be engaged full time on writing your thesis.

      Part-time students and members of staff registered for a PhD are not eligible for
      exemption from Council Tax. All students living with other people should check
      their liability for Council Tax at the start of their tenancy and their responsibility
      during the tenancy if one person leaves and the vacancy is taken by a non-

      If you have any queries you can contact either the Faculty Office or the Council
      Tax Department. Telephone (0117) 922 2900, mailto:council_tax@bristol- or see

      National Insurance: Full-time students do not normally pay National Insurance or
      income tax. Any postgraduate student in doubt about the position concerning
      National Insurance contributions should consult the nearest Inland Revenue


       Teaching and Payment

       Most schools allow their postgraduates to undertake teaching duties, but this is at
       the discretion of the Head of School. Teaching opportunities, as well as
       associated terms and conditions, should be discussed with the School.

       Full-time postgraduate students are not allowed to undertake any form of
       employment outside the University in normal working hours during term time. With
       reference to this, the then Committee of Deans (UPARC) agreed that exceptional
       circumstances may arise which, in the opinion of Heads of School, might justify an
       exception to this rule. In such a case the Head of School would take it to the
       Graduate Dean of the Faculty for approval.


       The practice of employing postgraduate students for the invigilation of
       examinations varies from School to School. Current rates of payment for
       invigilation may be obtained from the Examinations Office, Senate House.

       Postgraduate students who invigilate examinations and are not on the University
       of Bristol payroll should complete and sign a P46 form, as well as ensure that they
       possess a National Insurance number.


       Students should take note of the severe parking problems in and around the
       University precinct. There is no daytime provision for postgraduates to park their



       Information for cyclists, including the location of bicycle parking facilities, may be
       found on the website at

       Information about motorbike parking may be found at


       The Security Services maintain a 24 hour 365 day per year Communication
       Control Room which can be contacted on (0117) 331 1223 (internal 112233)
       (emergency only),or (0117) 33 11190.

       Most University buildings are easily accessible to the public and students are
       advised to look after their property carefully. Students should use personal
       lockers where available and should not leave money or valuables in open
       rooms, libraries, lecture theatres or laboratories. Similar precautions should be
taken at their places of residence. It is a sensible precaution to keep a list of
serial numbers of radios, cameras, bicycles, etc. Cycles should be secured to
cycle stands. Students should consider taking out a personal insurance policy.
The University is not responsible for items stolen.

It is important that valuable property, lap-tops, printers, etc., are postcoded or
marked. It is suggested that the University postcode (BS8 1TH) and student
number are used.

Personal safety presentations are given to all postgraduates as part of the
induction process at the start of the academic year. If you miss the
presentations, qualified staff at Security Services are available to provide
individual advice.

Theft of University or Personal Property: In the case of theft, inform the security
office on 87848 or (0117) 33 11190. The Finance Office (17005) should also be
informed and provided with a written statement.



      Most research is guided research, with freedom to impress your own initiatives
      upon the direction and progress of studies which may well have been under way
      for years before your arrival. Guidance comes from other research students, from
      the academic staff, and primarily from your supervisor(s). There may also be
      advisers to your school or research group from research institutions and industry.
      If you do consult others, it would be prudent to notify your supervisor.

      The Regulations and Code of Practice for Research Degree Programmes are
      intended for research students working towards a doctorate. If you are
      registered for an MSc by Advanced Study and Research, you will have been
      given a copy of the Regulations and Code of Practice for Taught Programmes

      At the time that you were offered a place in the School, your research topic and
      an appropriate supervisor would have been considered in order to ensure that
      adequate supervision and resources could be made available to you. The
      workload on staff has to be a decisive factor, and you will almost certainly share
      your supervisor with other students.

      If communication difficulties develop between you and your supervisor, you can
      seek assistance from one or more of the following: -

      (a)   The member of staff in your school with responsibility for postgraduate
            programmes e.g. the Director of the Graduate School or Postgraduate
            Tutor. Alternatively, you may wish to approach your Head of School.

      (b)   At Faculty level, the Graduate Dean will provide advice and assistance to
            postgraduate students.

      (c)   At University level, other sources of help include the International Student
            Advisers, the Student Counselling Service and the Postgraduate Union Co-

      If you run into difficulties, of a personal or academic nature, it is important you
      discuss them with someone. A comprehensive guide to sources of help on a
      wide range of issues is available at Student Help


      The University of Bristol acts to ensure dignity at work and study. The University will
      take steps to protect its staff and students from harassment, bullying or
      victimisation, whether this arises from race, sex, sexual preference, age,
      appearance, political or religious views or on any other grounds. Please refer to
      Rules and Regulations for Students for further details.


      The University believes that an atmosphere of free and open discussion is
      essential to its life and work. Such an atmosphere can be achieved only if all
      concerned behave with necessary tolerance and avoid needlessly offensive or
      provocative action and language. The University is, however, not obliged to
      admit members of the public to meetings taking place on its premises and must
      take account of other legal obligations which may require it to have regard to
      what is said on its premises. Please refer to Rules and Regulations for Students for
      further details.


      The University seeks opportunities for the commercial exploitation of the results of
      research activities. It is committed to the responsible handling of intellectual
      property that arises from work carried out by staff and students. In the event of
      income being generated through such exploitation, it is the practice of the
      University to involve students producing research results in the University's scheme
      for the apportionment of such income. The scheme for students is the same as
      that for University staff. Again, please refer to the Rules and Regulations for
      Students. (Please also see Appendix B for more information.)


      Information Services

      Information Services is responsible for central IT services, library services, learning
      technology support, administrative computing and the Institute for Learning and
      Research Technology.

      There are several computer rooms located around the precinct, some offering
      24-hour access and at least one with a ramp, lift and toilet facilities for the
      mobility-impaired. The computers provide access to electronic mail, the World
      Wide Web, word-processing, other software applications and connections to
      multi-user University computers. A few computer rooms offer statistics and
      database packages to assist with research projects.

      All postgraduates are eligible for general computing facilities, including an email
      account, and accounts are set up automatically before they start their

      Library Services
      There are 10 branch libraries covering different disciplines and members of the
      University may use any of them. Branch libraries covering Science and
      Engineering, Education, Geography, Law and Medicine are housed in the same
      buildings as the departments they serve. You are therefore always close to the
      books and information that you need and a quiet place to study. The Arts and
      Social Sciences Library on Tyndall Avenue contains a cluster of PCs for general
      use, as well as providing self-paced learning for a variety of computing skills and
      packages in use throughout the University.

      Details of the locations and opening hours of all the branch libraries can be
      found at:

      There are many information resources available and Library Services provides
      access to the most important ones via MetaLib: your information gateway:

      On MetaLib you should note:
            The library catalogue: this provides details of most of the printed books,
      journals, reports and non-book materials in the library system. You can find out
      where the item is located and whether it is on loan. Details of most of our ebooks
      will be in the library catalogue too.

             Find resource by material type: select from a pull-down list that includes
      books, newspapers, maps, standards and theses. Once you have chosen the
      material type you are interested in click on Go and a list of the resources you can
      link to will be retrieved.

            Find journal titles: this facility will simultaneously search our print and
      electronic journal title lists and retrieve details of the print version’s library location
      or the electronic version’s web link.

            Find database: this option allows you to search for a named database and
      then to link to it. For example, Compendex, the Science Citation Index and
      ZETOC are three databases that index journal articles. The advantages of using
      the databases in MetaLib are that they contain peer reviewed information that is
      reliable and that they focus on academic subjects.

      Specialist material not available within the library can often be obtained through
      Inter-Library Loan. More information about this, and other library services, is
      available from the subject librarians within each of the branch libraries.


      Self access/multi-media language learning facilities

      The multi-media facility, housed on the lower ground floor of the Language
      Centre building, is equipped with the latest multi-media and audio-visual
      technology for learning foreign languages (including English). There is a
      computer room with networked PCs offering a wide range of computer-assisted
      language learning materials, a listening/viewing room with individual audio and
      video stations, satellite TV facilities, and a reading/study room containing
      individual video booths, desks for private study and reference materials. For
      information about using these facilities, please see

      English Language support

      The Centre offers in-sessional courses during the academic year, which are
      designed for overseas students who are studying at the University. The in-sessional

      courses are free of charge to students who are paying the full overseas tuition
      fee. The Language Centre offers pre-sessional courses during the summer
      months in English for Academic Purposes but the fees are additional to the
      standard tuition fees.

      The Language Centre is a centre for the International English Language Testing
      Service (IELTS) examination, normally available every month. Further information
      can be obtained from the IELTS Administrator at the Language Centre.

      Details of courses and other services can be obtained from The Secretary at The
      Language Centre, 30/32 Tyndall's Park Road, Bristol BS8 1PY
      Tel: (0117) 3310907;
      Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 9 am - 5 pm.


4.7.1 It is recognised in education at Higher Degree level that even if you are not
      heading for an academic future in an educational institution, you will probably
      need to exercise comparable skills in a research post or other professional
      position elsewhere. In particular, you may be called upon to lecture, to initiate
      discussions after a seminar presentation, to offer tutorial advice, to assess
      academic performance, to prepare lecture notes, publications and so on. It is
      part of your research experience here to learn and practice at least some of
      these skills - but not without help. Schools will inform students of the opportunities

      The Staff Development Office also runs a programme of professional
      development courses and seminars for staff and research postgraduate students.
      Full details of courses, including computing courses, can be obtained from the
      Staff Development on the web at
      bin/sdev/ Places may be booked online.


      The successful completion of a programme of study at postgraduate level
      requires the use of a variety of skills. You will already possess many of these skills,
      developed through your previous experience, while you will develop others as a
      result of your studies. During your period of study at the University of Bristol there
      will be many opportunities to acquire new skills and develop existing skills further;
      information about some of these opportunities is presented in a booklet, entitled
      Guide to Postgraduate Skills Training which is distributed each academic session
      and is available at


      All Schools run programmes of research colloquia and a summary of the times
      locations and contact details are provide on the Faculty of Science website at


      Your research may lead you into collaboration with industry, research
      establishments or even individuals. The conditions governing such collaboration
      should be discussed with the RED Commercial Team. You may need
      agreements dealing with confidentiality, materials transfer, sources of funding (EC
      and other), freedom to publish, rights in research results and commercial
      exploitation. RED can support you in these and advise on costing/pricing,
      detailed contract negotiation and intellectual property. Contact RED in Senate
      House (0117 929 8383) and browse at Research and Enterprise on the Bristol home
      page for more information: The key in all these
      matters is early communication with RED - remember you are NOT authorised to
      sign on behalf of the University. Please see Appendix D for more information.


                                    SECTION 5. SAFETY


      Safety in the University Precinct is of the highest priority and is the responsibility of
      everyone. Nominally, it is your School Safety Adviser's responsibility to ensure that
      you are briefed on safety issues, but no Adviser can offer all that is necessary and
      you should always ask if you are unsure about the correct way to proceed.
      When you are given permission to use laboratory apparatus, you must satisfy
      yourself that you have been given adequate instructions for use of the
      equipment and that you are familiar with the relevant Operational Manual.
      Safety and health are strongly linked, so the consumption of food and drink in
      laboratories and workshops is actively discouraged. Smoking is not permitted in
      University buildings. You must ensure that you adhere to any specific safety
      regulations laid down by your School. If you will be working in the School out of
      normal working hours, please ensure that you read the University Safety
      Regulations relating to out-of-hours working.

      Safety matters are generally dealt with by the University Safety Committee. The
      University Director of Health and Safety is Mr P. Adams (88781). The specialist
      Safety Officers are Mr Richard Norris (Fire Safety, 88784), Mr Anthony Butterworth
      (Radiation, 88323), Dr Simon Golding (Biological Safety, 88783), and Mr A.
      Macquiban (Environment, Chemical Waste Disposal, 89080).

      Each School has a School Safety Adviser, as listed below:

      Biological Sciences               Mr A. Crawford (92 88486)

      Chemistry                         Dr J Crosby (92 88445)

      Earth Sciences                    Dr P-C Choi (33 15116)

      Experimental Psychology           Mr MC Davies (33 10533)

      Geographical Sciences             Professor P Valdes (33 1722)

      Interface Analysis Centre         Mr J. Nicholson (33 11175)

      Mathematics                       tbc

      Physics                           tbc

      See the Health and Safety Office website for the most up-to-date list:


                       or viewed at:


      All persons working with ionising radiation must be on the Radiation Register.

      Videos/films on Radiation Protection, on the safe handling of radioactive isotopes
      and on X-ray crystallography hazards are available from the Safety Office and
      are used in training sessions. Contact Staff Development for details. The
      Radiation Protection Adviser is available on 88323, or (0117) 9288780. In
      emergency (after hours) via 87848 or (0117) 9287848.

      In the event of a radiation incident or accident, notify the appropriate
      Departmental Radiation Protection Supervisor (DRPS):

DEPARTMENT                         DRPS                       Tel

Biological Sciences                Dr C Lazarus               92 88268

Chemistry                          Dr J Crosby                92 88445

Earth Science                      Dr CD Coath                95 4370

Geographical Sciences              Dr A Anesio                33 14157

Physics                            Dr D Cussans               95 46879

      Safety Office
      In case of any problems please contact:

      Radiation Protection Adviser        Mr A Butterworth (92 88323)

       See the Safety Office website for the most up-to-date list:

                               SECTION 6. STUDENTS’ UNION


      The Union provides many facilities for postgraduate students at the University.
      Postgraduates, like all other students, are entitled to full use of all Union facilities
      and to take part in Union elections. The Union is situated on Queens Road about
      5 to 10 minutes walk from the main precinct and contains facilities such as a
      launderette, swimming pool, café, bars, shop, travel shop and barber. The main
      functions of the Union are:


      The Union, along with the Postgraduate Union, represents the needs and issues of
      postgraduate students within the University, the city and the government. The
      President of the Postgraduate Union, and the Union President and Vice President
      sit on many of the University’s committees to ensure that students’ views are at
      the heart of the University. Students can talk to the Postgraduate Union in total


      The Union runs a variety of welfare services for all students - including
      postgraduates. The welfare suite stocks a large selection of information leaflets,
      concerning everything from legal to financial help, and mental to sexual health.
      Nightline - see: - is a telephone listening
      service (01179 266 266) run by students for students, and runs from 8pm-8am
      during term time. The welfare suite also houses: the Student Adviser, Noreen
      Daniels, who aims to offer practical solutions to problems; and the Vice President
      (Welfare), who is responsible for the welfare provision through the Union.

      The Student Funding Office, who offer information and advice on funding and
      money matters, and access to hardship grants, are located in Senate House.


      The Union has over 200 separate activities ranging from a wide variety of clubs
      and societies, allowing postgraduates to participate in politics, cultural, religious,
      departmental and sporting related activities at subsidised rates. There is a society
      for almost every interest with a variety that stretches from ballroom dancing to
      yoga and everything in between. There are also strong branches of SCA (Student
      Community Action) and RAG (Student Fundraising).

      Phone: Reception 0117 954 5800 (85800 internal)
      Opening Hours:
      Mon-Sat 8.30-11.30 (term time) 9.00 – 10.30 (out of term) (Shut Sat in August)
      Sun 2.30-10.30 (term time only)


The Science Faculty office holds a consolidated list of prizes and other awards
available to students at the University of Bristol. Please contact the Faculty Office
for more details.

                               SECTION 8. APPENDICES

                                                                             APPENDIX A

                          EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBERS

     Emergency services may be contacted at any time from within the University
     Central Areas using the internal telephone from the precinct for:

                 Fire                )
                 Ambulance           ) internal extension 112233 0117 33
                 Police              ) external call (0117 33 112233)

0117 33 11 22 33 0117 33 11 22
0117 33 11 22 33 0117 33 11 22 33
     then notify University Health & Safety Office on internal 88780 (0117 92 88780)

     Remember, when contacting any of the above services give the location at
     which you require the Service.

     Areas not covered by the internal telephone service should dial ‘999’ on the
     public telephone system.

                                                                                APPENDIX B


    During the course of your project you may generate some novel work. This is
    known as Intellectual Property (IP). Intellectual Property is the term used to
    describe the outputs of creative endeavour in literary, artistic, industrial, scientific
    and engineering fields that can be protected under legislation. In the University
    context this can be considered broadly as the results from research or creative

    As the generator of IP you are considered to be an ‘inventor’ or ‘creator’ and,
    together with the University, have rights to the Intellectual Property. This is known
    as Intellectual Property Rights (IPR). IPR give legal recognition to the ownership of
    intellectual property. There are several different forms of rights or areas of law
    giving rise to rights that together make up IPR.

    Normally the University works with inventors to manage the IP. The University has
    facilities and staff within the Research and Enterprise Development Office (R.E.D.)
    specialised in managing IP and can provide expert help and advice. Therefore if
    you feel that you are an inventor and have created some IP, please speak to
    your project supervisor as soon as possible. Then you and your supervisor can
    contact R.E.D. and together we can work within the University IP Policy for
    Students to help you manage the IP you have invented as effectively as possible.

1   Ownership of intellectual property generated by students at the University of

    Both undergraduate and postgraduate students may generate inventions and
    other intellectual property while carrying out research or similar projects at the
    University. For these purposes, “intellectual property” includes:

       The ownership of and exclusive right to exploit any patentable discovery or
        invention made, including any resulting patents and patent applications;
       all rights (including design rights and rights which are capable of registration
        under the Registered Designs Act 1949 or revision thereof) to any design
       copyright and database rights in (i) any computer program;
       (ii) design capable of commercial exploitation; and (iii) any reports to sponsors
        and other materials produced in the course of performing the project;
       copyright in any documentation and other materials relating to the above;
       all rights (including rights which are capable of registration under the
        Registered Trademarks Act 1994 or revision thereof) to any mark produced.

2   Undergraduate and Taught Course (non-research) Postgraduate students

    2.1 In the event that an undergraduate student or a postgraduate student on a
    taught course generates intellectual property in the course of a University project,
    either solely or in collaboration (where the collaborators may be fellow students,

    members of University of Bristol staff, employees of a sponsoring organisation or
    collaborative partner or a combination thereof), he or she is asked to assign to
    the University any intellectual property that he or she may generate. Assignment
    will only take place in the event that intellectual property is generated. A student
    shall then give to the University all reasonable assistance to enable the University
    to obtain patents or other forms of legal protection for the intellectual property.

    2.2 The University operates a ‘fair share’ system for rewarding inventors which is
    described in the University’s Revenue Sharing Scheme (as amended from time to
    time). If the University seeks to exploit commercially any intellectual property
    generated by an undergraduate or taught postgraduate student, it shall ensure
    that the student is treated in the same way as an employee inventor in
    accordance with the University’s Revenue Sharing Scheme in force at the time.

    2.3 In the event that an undergraduate or taught postgraduate student
    generates intellectual property independently of their research project, University
    facilities or intellectual supervision then that intellectual property shall remain the
    property of the student. However, subject to the results of due diligence
    examination, the University may be willing to manage the commercialisation of
    the intellectual property on behalf of the student. This would require the student
    to assign their intellectual property rights to the University in return for an inventors
    reward as described in the University’s Revenue Sharing Scheme.

    2.4 Information disclosed to a student during the course of a student’s research
    activities and any results generated during that period (whether or not technical
    or commercial in nature) may constitute valuable intellectual property and
    require protection prior to any form of non-confidential disclosure. It is the
    responsibility of the research project supervisor to advise the student as to which
    results and/or information are to be kept confidential. If in any doubt, advice
    should be sought from the Research and Enterprise Development Office.

3   Postgraduate students (research based)

    3.1 Postgraduate students will be required to execute agreements and
    assignments of intellectual property as a condition of participation in University
    research projects, a copy of which is available from the Research and Enterprise
    Development Office. The agreements will be included as a constituent part of
    any official offer of a studentship placement from the relevant University of Bristol
    Faculty Office. Where an external party, such as a company, provides funding for
    a research project additional terms may be required by the funding party.

    3.2 The University operates a ‘fair share’ system for rewarding inventors which is
    described in the University’s Revenue Sharing Scheme (as amended from time to
    time). If the University seeks to exploit commercially any intellectual property
    generated by a postgraduate student, it shall ensure that the student is treated in
    the same way as an employee inventor in accordance with the University’s
    Revenue Sharing Scheme in force at the time.

    3.3 In the event that a postgraduate student generates intellectual property
    independently of their research project, University facilities or intellectual
    supervision then that intellectual property shall remain the property of the

     student. However, subject to the results of due diligence examination, the
     University may be willing to manage the commercialisation of the intellectual
     property on behalf of the student. This would require the student to assign their
     intellectual property rights to the University in return for an inventors reward as
     described in the University’s Revenue Sharing Scheme.

     3.4 Information disclosed to a postgraduate student during the course of a
     student’s research activities and any results generated during that period
     (whether or not technical or commercial in nature) may constitute valuable
     intellectual property and require protection prior to any form of non-confidential
     disclosure. It is the responsibility of the research project supervisor to advise the
     student as to which results and/or information are to be kept confidential. If in
     any doubt, advice should be sought from the Research and Enterprise
     Development Office.

     Revenue Sharing Scheme

     The successful commercial exploitation of University owned intellectual property,
     be it a patented invention or material protected by copyright, will usually result in
     the University receiving royalty income. This may be either as a lump sum or as a
     stream of royalty income over a period of time.

     The University has a standard scheme for the apportionment of its royalty income
     which reflects the involvement of the individuals concerned, the host
     Department and the University centrally, or a mixture of the two.

     Each case will need to be considered in the light of the individual circumstances
     applying, for example, the balance between University time and resources and
     those privately invested by the individual concerned. Subject to variation
     depending on circumstances, normally the apportionment of income deriving
     from such commercial exploitation will be on the following scale:-

A. The first call on income is a payment to the individual(s)
   involved of up to £4,000 [this should be viewed as an
   advance allocation of part of the share of the first £15,000 (net
   of University outgoings) received]:
   Income £0 gross - £4,000 gross 100% to the individual(s)
B. The next call on income is the recovery of all outgoings by the
   University; for example patent and legal costs, thus reducing
   the gross income to a net sum.
C. Further income, received after the initial payment of £4,000
   has been made and after the recovery of University
   outgoings, is apportioned as follows:
   £0 gross - £15,000 net             70% to individual(s)
                                      15% to host Department
                                      15% to University
   [Assuming net income of £15,000 has been received, the
   individual(s) will receive a total of £10,500 which includes the
   initial payment of £4,000.]
   £15,000 net - £75,000 net          50% to individual(s)
                                      25% to host Department

                                 25% to University

Greater than £75,000 net         1/3 to individual(s)
                                 1/3 to host Department
                                 1/3 to University


 1. Apportionment amongst individuals
 Where more than one individual is involved, initial responsibility for agreeing the
 division amongst individuals lies with those individuals. Advice can be sought
 from the University via the University’s Research and Enterprise Development
 Office and the University Secretary. In the case of income from exploitation of
 patents, individuals need not be named inventors to receive a share of income.

 2. Leaving employment of University
 Cessation of employment, under normal circumstances, will not affect an
 individual’s right to receive a share of income.

 3. Death
 In the case of the death of an individual due a share of income, that share of
 any income will be payable to the estate of the deceased.

 4. Variation
 If an individual or Department wishes to request an alteration to the normal
 apportionment, the request is to be put in writing to the Vice-Chancellor for
 consultation with the Head of the R.E.D.

 See also the University’s Guide to Intellectual Property for Students


To top