This document was created by a medical student enrolled in the
Rural Physicians Associate Program (RPAP) at the University of
Minnesota Medical School as part of the course project. The aim
of the project is to present information on a medical topic in
the format of a patient education handout. It does not
necessarily reflect the views of the University of Minnesota
Medical School physicians and faculty. These materials are
provided for informational purposes only and are in no way
intended to take the place of the advice and recommendations of
your personal health care provider. The information provided may
no longer be up to date since it has not been reviewed since the
date of creation. The information provided should not be used to
diagnose a health problem or disease, or as a means of
determining treatment. In the event of a medical emergency,
immediately contact a doctor or call 911.
Threatened Abortion- aka threatened miscarriage
This is a condition which suggests that a miscarriage may take What will the treatment be? The doctor may advise you to-
place before 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Avoid some activities including sexual activity
What causes this? - Be on bed rest
- Progesterone may be used to relax the uterus and slow the
Vaginal bleeding or spotting in the first trimester can represent bleeding.
the risk of a miscarriage. This “threat” of a miscarriage is termed a o This is important if you may be low on progesterone
Prognosis- What will this mean for my future?
What are the symptoms?
- Most women with a threatened abortion will go on to deliver this
- Vaginal spotting or bleeding pregnancy and have future pregnancies that are uneventful
- Cramping may be present - 15% of pregnancies will end in miscarriage
What tests might be ordered? When to get medical attention
- Abdominal or vaginal ultrasound - If you have any of these symptoms you should contact your
o This can check the heart activity, amount of doctor. The provider may want to see you and order some tests.
development, and size of bleeding. The best provider to see would be the one managing your
- Complete blood count- prenatal care.
o This will look at the amount of blood loss
- Serum HCG Complications
o This is a blood pregnancy test.
- White blood cell count with differential - Blood loss
o This will look for infection - Anemia
- Progesterone level - Infection
o This is a natural hormone that is important during - Miscarriage
What can I do to avoid this?
Source- Google Health Threatened Miscarriage - There is no specific prevention
https://health.google.com/health/ref/Miscarriage+-+threatened o Having good prenatal care reduces risk
o Be in good overall health