PARKING ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING
BARGE HALL ROOM 304
FEBRUARY 23, 2006
1. Introduction of all committee members.
PRESENT: Kevin Higgins, Police Services; Barbara Maloney, Parking Services; Mike
Gimlin, Code Enforcement, City of Ellensburg; Kathryn Ruth, Student; Nancy Bakeman,
Police Services; Steven Wright, Police Services; Steve Dupont, ASCWU; Elaine Ames,
Employee Council; Phillip Patzik, Parking Appeal Board; Greg Poe, Exempt Employees
Association; John Michel, Faculty.
2. Kevin updated the status of the parking surrounding the new Student
Union & Recreation Building. According to conversations with Steve
Waldeck and other parties involved with the new building, there appears to
be adequate parking for the new building participants. The students,
Kathryn Ruth & Steve Dupont, agreed with this information.
3. Kevin reviewed the parking lot capacity survey that was completed on
1/23/06, 1/24/06 & 1/25/06. This survey indicated that many of the parking
lots near the core of campus were mostly occupied during the times
surveyed; 8:15am, 10:15am, & 1:15am, but there were always spaces
available at the north end of campus and the west end of campus.
4. Kevin presented some slides showing the parking lots before seal coating
and after the seal coating had been completed.
5. Greg Poe reviewed the handout presented for the possible eight year
maintenance program that will be necessary to maintain the existing parking
lots. This survey indicates that several of the aging lots will need major and
costly paving projects during this eight year time frame. Due to these major
repairs and the escalating cost of all maintenance; fuel, supplies, etc, the
proposed permit increase will be necessary and will probably not be
sufficient considering the escalating cost of all involved. This information
will be attached to the minutes and is for estimate purposes only.
6. John Michel reiterated the fact that he felt there was a need for an
outlying freshman parking lot. Kevin indicated that parking does not have
the funds to build a new parking lot now. Greg Poe reminded the committee
that with more spaces there will be more upkeep costs involved and that
according to the capacity survey there are always plenty of parking spaces
available. The committee agreed that the parking consumer is only
interested in “convenient” parking. Kevin indicated that the CWU
masterplan states that parking will be on the outlying areas of the campus.
7. Kathryn Ruth proposed that all of the information be reviewed with the
member’s constituents and a motion be made at the next meeting for
recommendations for freshman parking.
8. A student proposal will be made to the City of Ellensburg regarding the
parking on the north side of 7th Avenue between Walnut and Sampson.
They will keep the committee updated on the progress of this proposal.
9. The next Parking Advisory Committee meeting is scheduled for April 6,
2006 at 2:00PM at the Science Building Room 301.
Meeting adjourned at 4:15PM.
Minutes submitted by Barbara Maloney