The Crisis Deepens
Things Don’t Look Good, Folks
• Kansas Territory was in bad shape: pro
and anti-slavery forces were battling
• Senator Stephen Douglas proposed
creating 2 territories—Kansas &
Nebraska—and letting those folks decide
• Douglas’ bill was known as the Kansas-
• Most people thought this was reasonable
So, Whatz Up?
• President Franklin “Frankie” Pierce was in
favor and the bill went through.
• But, whoa Nellie, not everyone was happy.
• The Yankees were upset.
• Well, the Missouri Compromise had
banned slavery in this territory and now it
would be repealed.
What’s The Story, Larry?
• Pro-slavery people had moved to KS
earlier and now abolitionists were going
there to fight for the free state side.
• Both sides were ready to rumble.
• Border Ruffians battled antislavery forces.
• These guys got pro-slavery candidates
• The abolitionists elected their own govt
• Pro-slavery guys invaded Lawrence, KS,
home of the KU Jayhawks and reeked
• John Brown, an abolitionist, struck back.
• He retaliated by killing 5 proslavery
• Then the other side struck back and then
the other side struck back, then, well…
you get the idea.
• Violence was everywhere even in the
The Dred Scott Case
• Muy importante
• Know This…
• Dred Scott, a slave, petitioned the court for
his freedom after his owner died. He filed
a law suit, or a legal case brought to settle
a dispute between people or groups
• The case reached the SC as Dred Scott v
The SC Decision
• The court’s ruling shocked the country.
• First, the court ruled that since Scott was
enslaved he could not file suit
• According to the court, Congress did not
have the power to outlaw slavery in any
• This meant that the Missouri Compromise
The Nation Reacts
• Southern plantation owners were happy
• Many in the North were unhappy