A magnet is an object
that sticks to iron.
A magnet is an object that sticks to iron.
A force is a push or a pull.
• When magnets pull • When magnets
together, we say push apart, we say
they attract. they repel.
• A piece of iron that • Induced
behaves like a magnetism is the
magnet when it is influence of a
touching a permanent
permanent magnet magnet’s magnetic
is a temporary field on a piece of
magnet. iron, which makes
the iron act like a
• A graph organizes data visually to show a
relationship between two things.
• The intersection of two lines is the point
at which they cross.
A prediction is an educated guess based
on data or previous experience.
• A detector is
something you use to
gather evidence about
something you can’t
• The D-cell is the source of electricity.
• A battery refers to more than one cell, but
most people use the words battery and D-
• An electricity source provides the energy
to light the bulb.
• An electricity receiver is a component
that uses the electricity from the source to
make something happen.
• A circuit is a
the flow of
• D-cells, bulbs,
and wires are
• A schematic
diagram is a
circuit on a
• The filament of a bulb is the part that gets hot
and produces light.
• A circuit base holds components needed
to build a circuit.
• A Fahnstock clip or metal clip that
connects wires in a circuit.
• A Switch is a device used to open and
Open Circuit Closed Circuit
• An open circuit is An closed circuit is a
an incomplete complete circuit through
circuit through which electricity flows.
will not flow.
• A conductor is a • An insulator is a
material that prevents
substance, the flow of electricity,
commonly a metal commonly plastic,
such as copper or rubber, glass, or air.
• A circuit with only one pathway for current
flow is a series circuit.
• A parallel circuit splits into two or more
pathways before coming together at the
• An electromagnet is a coil of wire, usually
wound around a core of iron steel, which
produces a magnetic field when electricity
flows through the wire.
• The core is the • A coil is wire
material around wound repeatedly
which a coil is around a central
applies the results
• A telegraph is a device for sending coded
messages by signals produced by closing and
opening an electric circuit.
• A telegraph key is a switch that completes the
circuit in a telegraph system.
• The gap is the space between the steel strip
and the electromagnet.
• A code is a set of signals that represents letters
or words for sending messages.
• Long-Distance refers to something that is