1. Southampton is the largest city in the county
of Hampshire on the south coast of England.
2. Southampton is
the home of the
It was devised by
built and tested
here and saved
the country during the Battle of Britain.
3. Southampton was the first town in Britain to sample fish fingers in 1955.
4. Southampton's largest retail centre is the
WestQuay Shopping Centre.
5. Southampton is the only city in the UK with a
geothermal power station.
6. The city is home to the longest surviving stretch
of medieval walls in England.
7. The largest theatre in the city is the 2,300 capacity Mayflower Theatre.
8. Titanic sailed from Southampton on her maiden
voyage on 10th April 1912. Five days later she sank
with great loss of life after striking an iceberg. Most
of the crew lived in the town and over 500 households
lost at least one family member.
9. The city lies at the northern tip of the Southampton Water, a deep water estuary,
which is a ria formed at the end of the last Ice Age.
10. Southampton experiences an oceanic climate. Its southerly, low lying and
sheltered location ensures it is amongst the warmer, sunnier cities in the UK!