Welcome to Parent Partnership Night
Mrs. Cain, Mrs. Hanson, Mrs. Koontz,
Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Wright
O.A. Peterson Elementary
Welcome to Kindergarten
• We need and appreciate your support from home.
• Your involvement in your child’s education is important.
• We look forward to a great year!
Northwest ISD Vision
The best and most sought-after school district where every
student is future ready:
• Ready for college
• Ready for the global workplace
• Ready for personal success
Peterson Elementary Mission Statement
Our mission is to create a supportive and collaborative
learning environment that educates and prepares our
21st century learners for an ever-changing world.
AS A PARENT OF PETERSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL,
PLEASE HELP BY…
• Making sure your child is rested, on time, and prepared for school
• Knowing how your child is doing in school by communicating with
teachers by the BEE folder, phone, or e-mail.
• Monitoring your child’s homework and making sure study time is in
a quiet place.
• Being an active participant in your child’s education.
• We will communicate with you daily through the B.E.E folders.
Please initial your child’s behavior chart each night.
• We will also contact you about your child’s progress through email,
phone calls, progress reports, report cards, parent-teacher conferences
and our classroom websites.
• Bi-Monthly newsletters will be sent out electronically and will be
posted on the Kindergarten team website.
• Your child’s attendance is crucial to his/her success.
• Students are counted tardy at 7:45.
• Students must be at school by 9:30 to be counted present.
• The majority of our learning cannot be made up by doing
worksheets or make up assignments.
Changes in Transportation
• A written note must be received in order to change your
child’s routine transportation.
• Notepads for transportation changes are available through
the front office.
• Please place these notes in the front zipper pocket of your
child’s B.E.E. folder.
• Please place all lunch money in the front zipper pocket of
your child’s B.E.E. folder.
• Please do not send it with them in their pockets
• If possible, it is a good idea to send a check to cover a
number of meals instead of sending a few dollars each day.
You are also able to add money and make changes to your
child’s lunch account online.
• We set high academic and behavioral standards for our students at
• We expect our students to follow these rules:
– Keep hands and feet to yourself
– Be kind to others
– Walk in the classroom and hallway
– Use appropriate voice levels
The 3 B’s:
• Be Kind
• Be Respectful
• Be Responsible
• When students do not follow expectations and procedures they will
be asked to move a clip as a visual guide for their behavior.
– Green-Great behavior
– Yellow-Several Warnings
– Blue-Making Poor choices
– Red- Needs Improvement
• Other consequences for poor choices may be: seat change, time out
to think, loss of fun Friday or recess time, parent phone call/note
home, or trip to the office.
Essential Learning for Kindergarten
• Language and Literacy
• Listening and Speaking
• Social Studies
What do we do all day??
• 7:45-8:00: Morning meeting and announcements
• 8:00-8:30: Calendar Math
• 8:30-9:00: Skills Block/Phonics/Handwriting
• 9:00-9:40: Reader’s Workshop
• 9:40-10:35: Writer’s Workshop
• 10:45-11:15 Lunch
• 11:15-12:10 Specials: P.E. Art and Music
• 12:10-12:40: Recess
• 12:45-1:45: Math Workshop
• 1:45-2:30 Science/Social Studies
• 2:30: Closing Meeting, Pack Up, Snack
• 2:45: Dismissal
• Opening Meeting
– Focus lesson and guiding questions
• Work Period
– Individual work, conferences, goal setting
• Closing Meeting
– Review and celebrate new discoveries
• This week in math we are focusing on shapes and objects
that share at least one attribute, one to one correspondence
and recording our counting.
• Students use guiding questions and explore manipulatives to
discover new learning.
I Was Here…
• Students at Peterson Elementary are trying to make their “mark” on
the world. Students will study the six pillars of Character Education:
• A report card is sent home every 6-weeks, except the first 6-
weeks. We will have a parent-teacher conference to discuss
• There will be a number of district assessments. We will
discuss the assessments and celebrate your child’s progress
during our Parent-Teacher conference.
Please read with your child
• Record the books and number of minutes read each night in your
child’s reading log located in the B.E.E. folder.
• Homework will be sent home on Mondays and will be due by
Friday. It will include a reading, writing and math activity and an
optional extension activity. This will begin next week
Things to work on at home:
• Fine motor skills: cutting, coloring, lacing
• Handwriting: Always start your letters at the TOP
• Alphabet recognition and sounds
• Sight word recognition
• Counting objects
• Responsibility: Give your child a job to do each night.
Examples to use at home:
• What connections do you make to the story? What does this
remind you of?
• What patterns do you see around you?
• How are you a member of your community?
• Kindergarten students will attend specials classes daily.
These include Art, Music and P.E.
• Students will go to P.E. everyday!
• Please check the specials websites for more information.
Art Education at Peterson
• Partner with us!! Ask your child, “What are you doing in art?”
• In addition to discussing art in the evening, let them show you!
Allow your child to teach YOU what they have learned in art.
• View the Ms. Heffley’s website for upcoming art events in our
community and area.
Music Education at Peterson
• Partner with us!! Ask your child, “What are you doing in music?”
• All students will perform this year. Performances are as follows (Dates TBA):
– K-2 Holiday Program
– 3rd Drums Program
– 4th Folk Dance
– 5th Recorders (Information regarding recorders can be found on Mrs. Calderon’s website.)
• Ask your child about PTA Reflections contest.
• Mark your calendar for May 8th, 2012. This is Peterson Fine Arts Night. Students will be
showcased for their work in the Arts over the year, so please ask them periodically what they are
Physical Education at Peterson
• Partner with us!! Ask your child, “What are you doing in P.E.?”
• View the Mr. Brewer’s website for upcoming art events in our
community and area. Here he will have information regarding fun
runs and walks as well!
• Don’t forget to collect your Box Tops.
• Mile club “miles” can be accumulated at home as well as at school!
Safety First, Fashion Second!
Wear athletic type shoes to P.E.!
Flip –flops, platform shoes, heels, Croc type shoes or slip-
on style shoes are not safe for your children during P.E.
and recess time.
Help your child learn to tie shoes. It’s safer!
Wear shorts underneath dresses and skirts.
• We encourage parents to join and participate in P.T.A.
• We are having a school wide contest to encourage 100% P.T.A
participation in each classroom.
• P.T.A. serves as a vital link between home and school.
• It is NOT too late to join!!
• In order to volunteer at school, class parties, and field trips, you must complete an
application in the front office.
Thank You for Coming
• Please take the next few minutes to ask questions about the
curriculum and expectations.