A visual inspection is an initial step in identifying mold
call today if you have a small spot or a big problem, we service them all alike.
exclusive product and a regrowth warranty, and you’ll feel right at home with CALTEX as your choice. So
With over 800 dealers and hundreds of homes inspected, we know what to look for. Couple that with an
Caltex is the leader in mold testing, inspecting, and remediation
problems and possible contamination issues. During
the process, water leaks, and moisture stains within
the house will be identified. Air conditioning, heating
systems, and crawl spaces will also receive inspection.
Visual inspection in combination with air, tape, and
swab sampling will ensure the inspector will be able to
determine the source of the contamination problem
and remediate it.
The purpose of air sampling is to determine the type
and amount of airborne contaminants present. Air
sampling is performed when the presence of mold is
suspect, due to musty odors and allergies but cannot
be determined through the visual inspection.
Air sampling is performed on both the indoor and
outdoor air for a comparison to determine where
problems exist or originate. The indoor sample is
taken when the AC or heating systems are in operation
to ensure an effective and accurate test.
Tape/swab samples are typically collected from
visually moldy areas of an interior area using a sterile
swab. This type of test is done to determine the type
of mold infestation.
Once all tests have been performed and the problems
evaluated, actions can be planned to avoid further
problems and prevent future contamination. Based
upon the samples, evidence gathered, and lab analysis
results regarding the contamination problem, your
inspector can provide a detailed written report for
reference and disclosure.
If mold exists, the underlying
cause of the water damage Caltex International Ltd.
must be corrected Syracuse, New York 13202
MOLD AND YOUR HEALTH ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM
Mold can produce allergens, irritants and in some
cases potentially harmful mycotoxins. These
You can do the following to
allergens and toxins can cause people to become ill. prevent and reduce the
growth of indoor mold:
People can be exposed to mold • Repair any water leaks
in the following ways: • Provide good air circulation
• Breathing in the spores from the air • All HVAC systems should have a good electrostatic
• Skin contact from handling an item that has mold filter on the return
• Use bathroom, kitchen and laundry room exhaust
growing on it
• Eating without properly washing your hands after
WHERE CAN MOLD BE fans
handling moldy objects FOUND? • Insulate and ventilate attic and crawl space areas
• Clean, dry or remove items that are damaged by
Mold appears most often in moist areas as little black water
Small exposure to mold has the circles on thread-like white objects. In most cases it is
potential to cause the accompanied by a musty odor.
The Caltex Solution:
following health problems: Mold problems begin when invisible mold spores land on
• Caltex trained and certified remediators will do a
moist surfaces. The moisture in the surface allows the
• Itching or irritation of the nose, eyes, throat and skin mold to reproduce and grow. thorough mold and odor inspection
• Skin rash • We follow the EPA guidelines as described in the
• Sinus infections or congestion/runny nose Some examples of places Environmental Protection Agency’s document;
• Sneezing and coughing where mold can be found “Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial
• Upper or lower respiratory infections Buildings.” These guidelines apply to homes too
• Fatigue include: • We will provide mold testing results by an
• Frequent headaches • Basements independent third party for verification
• Trouble concentrating, memory lapses, confusion • Kitchens (bottom of refrigerators) • We use mold inhibitors; a process recommended by
• Mood swings, anxiety, depression • Bathrooms (around vanities) the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for the
• Chronic aches and pains • The underside of carpets and pads prevention of mold
• Digestive problems • The surface of walls behind furniture • We will make recommendations on how to prevent
• Long term memory loss • Ceilings and the top side of ceiling tiles further mold problems by using a hydrometer, vents,
• Front and back side of dry wall, wall paper or painting AC, humidistat and dehumidifier
Individuals with allergies or asthma tend to be very • Inside HVAC systems and duct work
sensitive to mold and are much more susceptible to asthma • Clothing NOTE: It is impossible to eliminate all
attacks in the presence of mold. • Food mold spores from a home or building,
they are a natural part of dust and are
Others at high risk of health constantly floating in the air.
affects due to mold include:
• The elderly
• Immuno-compromised patients
• Pregnant women
• Others with respiratory issues BEFORE AFTER