Assisted Corona Discharges and Ionic Winds
Student: Rakshit Tirumala Advisors: Dr. Go
Alternative cooling technologies that utilize single corona
ionic winds for application in portable electrode
electronic devices with small form factors to
replace mechanical fans.
• Miniaturization of ionic wind blowers to
duct heights of less than 2 mm.
gate collecting secondary
• Reduce the operating potentials to < 2 kV
electrode collecting electrode
• Generate > 0.5 cfm air flows with above
Visualization of negative mode
assisted corona discharge
• Corona discharges in gated multi- PUBLICATIONS
electrode configuration termed “assisted 1. R. Tirumala, Y. Li, D. A. Pohlman, D. B. Go, J.
discharges”. Electrostat., vol. 69, pp. 36-42 (2011)
• Gate electrode reduces corona onset and 2. R. Tirumala, D.B.Go, IEEE Trans. Dielectrics
secondary electrode improves flow rates. and Electrical Insulation, (in review)
Sponsor: Intel Corporation