Architecture of the Champlain Valley Ticonderoga The houses marching up the hill along Lake George Avenue were constructed following WWI to house Historic Ticonderoga is located at the southern end Adirondack Architectural Heritage executives employed at Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper of the great Adirondack Mountains, nestled between (AARCH) is the regional, nonprofit Company. They are all in the Craftsman style which two large lakes – Lakes Champlain and George. The historic preservation organization for originated in California and is often associated with earliest recorded history begins with Samuel de the Adirondack Park. This tour is one the Bungalow. It was made popular, nationwide, Champlain’s entrance onto the waters that bear his of over fifty events AARCH is offering during the early part of the century by companies such name in 1609. The town’s first settlement began with in our 2009 program schedule. Further as Sears and Roebuck who offered kit homes to be the French building their most southern territorial fort information is available by contacting shipped and assembled on site. The style employed here in 1755. The town has a rich military past with AARCH at 518-834-9328 or by visiting simple lines in an asymmetrical facade, and wide significant battles fought on these grounds during the our website at www.aarch.org. overhanging eaves supported by decorative knee braces Colonial and American Revolution War eras. After the or exposed rafter tails. American Civil War the economy rapidly changed from being agriculturally based to relying more on AARCH would like to thank Bill Dolback, President industry and tourism. The original civilian settlement of the Ticonderoga Historical Society, for helping to began in the late 1700s along the northern shores of prepare and lead this tour. Lake George at the area known as Alexandria. The Agway building (1879) is unique as the lone wood However, the population center quickly shifted in the frame industrial building still standing. It was built by To learn more about Ticonderoga history contact: early 1800s to an area located toward the last set of Silas Moore as a grist mill serving the numerous local The Hancock House water falls along the LaChute River which empty Lake farms. Though the building is basic in form and Home of the Ticonderoga Historical Society George waters into Lake Champlain. The river fenestration, some decorative detailing represents the 6 Moses Circle provided much needed water power, used to operate architectural influences of the time. Brackets along the 518-585-7868 saw mills and textile factories in the earlier days, and cornice line of the roof as well as the small shed, or firstname.lastname@example.org later, pulp and paper mills. In addition, the products to pent, roof over the store front are Italianate, a popular come out of Ticonderoga included wool, iron, and style that is prevalent along Montcalm Street. The door graphite used in pencils. on the second floor above the entrance and the pulley This tour was made possible by A great fire in March 1875 destroyed most of the above it community’s main business area along with the earliest would have been used to funding from the Champlain Valley records of the town. However, the region’s economy was booming and the area was rapidly rebuilt. Today haul items to National Heritage Partnership. several of the buildings built after this fire still are and from the functioning facilities and represent a thriving late 19th second floor, AARCH programs also receive generous century commercial district. With a growing business possibly community came the need for housing and several directly from support from the New York State Council examples of post WWI employee dwellings associated or onto a on the Arts, Architecture, Planning, and with the Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper Company exist, wagon. Design Program. as well as earlier, high style homes. WHAT TO LOOK FOR… ARCHITECTURAL ELEMENTS, MATERIALS, STYLES, FUNCTIONS, ALTERATIONS Built in 1926 by Ogee One of the later Montcalm Horace Moses, A double curve, formed by the union of a Street buildings, the the Hancock convex and concave line, resembling an Ticonderoga National House is a S-shape. Bank building (1890, 1929) replica of John strays from the Italianate Hancock’s This doorway has a broken ogee pediment style, so predominant in Beacon Hill because it is split apart at the center. downtown, to incorporate home in Boston. an Art Deco motif. This The original, modern style favored clean built in 1737, lines, and geometric embodied the patterns, which were elements of the As is typical of downtown buildings, the store front level usually presented in Georgian style including a Gambrel roof, five bay façade, is often renovated to accommodate incoming businesses, shallow relief. Tall, belt course, quoins, and pedimented doors and windows. each trying to keep up with current design trends. flattened surfaces were The re-creation provides a rare view of what an early Fortunately, the upper floors are usually spared, no major used to emphasize Colonial house would have looked like. Moses gave the exterior renovation being needed for apartment or office verticality. It is now home house to be the home of the New York Historical space. This is the case with the to the Glens Falls National Association, which has since relocated to Cooperstown. Shattuck block, built in 1887, one Bank and Trust Company. The building has been home to the Ticonderoga of Ticonderoga’s most ornate Historical Society since 1976. commercial buildings. The Italianate style was employed using paired one-over-one windows capped by an arch or a This stately residence is a great example of both the flattened arch. Extensive One of the few residences remaining on Montcalm Italianate and Queen Anne styles. The original structure brickwork is used to create belt Street is this one and one half story Craftsman. It seems to have been a two story, cross gable with paired courses between the floors, incorporates the shallow roof line, exposed rafter tails brackets lining the cornice. Remodeling was done in 1891 decorative lintels over the and front porch commonly associated with the style. by Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper Company president, windows, and corbelling along Unlike typical examples, however, which are sided in the cornice line. Clayton Delano who owned the house at the time. The clapboard, shingle, or stucco, this house is cobblestone. This indicates a desire to represent local materials, wrap-around porch supported by turned posts, and leaning towards a rustic flair. The style became popular decorative brackets and spindlework are typical Queen nationwide following WWI, largely due to companies Anne. The mass production of building elements and the The Community Building (1927) displays the symmetry, expansion of the railroad during the second half of the such as Sears and Roebuck, who offered catalog homes grand scale, and refined dignity of the Neoclassical style. to be delivered by rail and assembled on site. The plans 19th century made the pieces readily available. The Common elements include an impressive full height, for these homes were generally rather compact and addition of curved, entry porch on the northern façade featuring efficiently laid out. Their affordability and scale made porches paired, Ionic capitals. This is an interpretation of the Greek them appealing to returning military and middle class were a Revival style of the early 19th families. common century. Twelve-over-twelve Oddly, the windows, and a hipped roof way to trend faded hint at a colonial influence as update a out as quickly well. The balustrade that building at a as it came, and runs along the perimeter of relatively few Craftsman the roof is a feature rarely low cost. style homes found in the original designs, were built but is somewhat common in after the 1930s. Neoclassical.
Pages to are hidden for
"Ticonderoga Wiki"Please download to view full document