Small Group Questions
1. Have you ever had to use a translator? When? Why?
2. What is the purpose of translation? How does this apply to the Bible?
3. How many different translations of the Bible can you name?
4. How many Bibles do you own? How many different translations?
5. Why are there so many translations of the Bible? Do we need more than one
translation of the Bible? Why?
6. Does the fact that we have so many different translations mean that we don’t
actually know what God’s word says? Why or why not?
7. Which translation do you tend to use? Why?
8. How can different translations contribute to your Christian life?
9. Are there any Bible translations that should be avoided?
10. How can you check on the faithfulness of a translation? What should you look for
in a good translation of the Bible?
11. What are the differences between a literal translation, a dynamic translation, and a
12. Which is better, a literal translation or a dynamic translation? When would be the
best time to use a literal translation of the Bible? When would be the best time to
use a dynamic translation?
13. A good translation of the Bible is useless unless it actually gets read. How often do
you read God’s word? What changes (if any) do you need to make in order to read
the Bible more consistently?
14. Do you have any regular plan for reading/listening to the Bible? Would you mind
sharing your strategy with the group?
15. How has God’s word impacted your life?
16. Challenge: Consider undertaking the goal as a small group of reading through
/listening to the Bible over the next few weeks and months—devise a plan and hold
each other accountable.
For Further Study
17. Look up the following passages:
a. Psalms 119:9, 11, 105
b. Romans 10:17
c. 2 Timothy 3:15, 16
d. Hebrews 4:12
What does God’s Word say about the Word of God?
9 I will commit to purchasing a good Bible and begin reading.
9 I previously had no idea where to start when reading my Bible, but I will commit to
reading through the Gospel of Mark between now and Thanksgiving.
9 I will make it a priority to bring my Bible to church.
9 I will pledge to commit to reading through/listening to the Bible.
9 I am going to buy a Bible for ____________.