O’Reilly Physician Consultants, LLC. – Gastroenterology
12150 South Harlem Avenue • Palos Heights, IL 60463
Office (708) 361-4778
Fax (708) 361-4799
•Daniel J. O’Reilly, M.D. •James O. Draguesku, M.D. •Rick Chadha, M.D. •William Kosmala, M.D.
Osmoprep for Colonoscopy
(There is evidence that phosphate-based colon preps, such as Osmoprep, may cause kidney damage. Be sure to follow
instructions closely and drink fluids as recommended).
The Week Before Examination
• Review instructions for colonoscopy. Any questions may be directed to the G.I. nurse at (708)
• Essential medications may be taken.
• Stop blood thinners, such as aspirin, Coumadin, Plavix, Persantine, 5 to 7 days prior to the exam.
If you have concerns, contact the prescribing doctor.
• Stop arthritis medications, such as Lodine, Mobic, ibuprofen, and naproxen, 5 to 7 days prior to
• Stop any iron supplements 5 to 7 days before the exam.
The Day Before Examination
• No solid food.
• Clear liquid diet all day (broth, Jell-O, tea, coffee, pulp-free juices, sports drinks, hard candy).
• No red or purple liquids. No dairy products or artificial creamers.
• At 5:00 p.m. begin taking Osmoprep tablets. Start with 20 tablets. Take 4 tablets every 15
minutes with 8 oz. clear liquid each time, until all 20 tablets are consumed.
• Begin taking the remaining 12 tablets three hours after consuming the initial dose, again taking 4
tablets every 15 minutes with 8 oz. clear liquid each time.
• You may continue the liquid diet throughout the prep and until midnight.
• Nothing by mouth after midnight.
The Morning of Examination
• If you feel you are not completely cleaned out, take a Fleet’s enema one hour before leaving for
• Essential medications may be taken with small sips of water.
• Arrive at the facility one hour prior to your scheduled appointment.
• After registering, you will be taken to the Endoscopy Lab.
Note: If your procedure is scheduled after 1:00 pm, you may have a clear liquid breakfast. This must be
completed 6 hours prior to exam time.
Give this form to the nurse at the hospital/facility.
Location: Palos Community Hospital Ambulatory Care Center Palos SurgiCenter
Appointment Date and Time:________________________________________________
Reason for Procedure:______________________________________________________
Instructions for Nurse: IV: 500 ml 0.9 NaCl 7-2-08