• Draw Conclusions: sometimes clues in the
words and pictures can help a reader
figure out something that is not written in
a story or article.
– Good readers use the words, pictures, and what
they know about real life to figure out more
about the characters and what happens in a
– girl’s pen
• The apostrophe and s in the word girl’s means that
something belongs to the girl. The pen belongs to the girl
– girls’ pens
• The s and the apostrophe in the word girls’ means that
something belongs to the girls. The pens belong the girls.
When a word ends with s and mean “ more than one,” the
apostrophe comes after the s.
• Tell which word is possessive and whether it
tells about one or more than one person or
• Ben’s bat
• birds’ cage
• Dad’s truck
• Nan’s basket
• whales’ song