MINUTES OF THE WAUBONSIE VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL PTA*
Meeting of September 23, 2008
CALL TO ORDER
President Patty Smith called the meeting to order at 7:30pm.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (Julie Coley)
Minutes of the May 2008 meeting were approved as written. Read card from scholarship recipient as well as
sympathy card from NVHS PTA for WVHS student who passed away this summer.
Presented by Jackie Greenwald and filed for audit. Review of audit completed over the summer. Mary Anne Castro
extended a thank you to Jackie Greenwald for taking on the audit as our new treasurer. Motion to adopt the audit
made by Mary Anne Castro; seconded by Kerry Kolzow. Motion passed. Presentation of 2008-09 budget given by
Jackie Greenwald. Motion to approve budget as presented made by Mary Anne Castro; seconded by Angie Gaul.
Motion passed. Discussion followed regarding budget.
ADMINISTRATION REPORT (Joy Ross)
Thank you from administration for all PTA did at beginning of school year. Gave recap of back to school events.
14 new teachers; this is 3rd year PTA has been involved in new teacher meetings. Gave overview of Culmination of
Peace Month, NVHS is hosting lunch and about 400 WVHS students from various classes are invited to attend.
Brief recap of trip to S. Africa with Mosaic, there will be a video presentation before end of 1 st semester. This is Joy
Ross’s 5th year as our Administration Liaison for PTA.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT (Patty Smith)
Introduction of PTA Board and all visitors. Announced PTA will be going paperless with our files, committee
chairs to receive Handbook information via email shortly. Announcement that District 36 conference is 10/16/08. If
you want to attend contact Patty Smith. School board announcement that no board members are being assigned to
cluster schools this year. WVHS PTA will be there to help with MVHS and their new PTA board but priority for
WVHS PTA is the year at hand and focusing on our current students and school year. The Mid-west Heart
Association will be conducting a joint effort with WVHS and NVHS to get students tested. This effort will require
many volunteers; further information will come from the district.
Ways & Means
Donation Fund – Jackie Greenwald said we have received $7,256.00 versus a budget of $8,000.00. But membership
forms still coming in.
Market Day- Judy Metzger is our new chair. Received $145 from September date. Next date 10/8/08.
Auction – Patty Smith said Ginger Evans has agreed to chair this event, sometime in March 2009.
Career Center – Chair position open. Mary Anne Castro said she is waiting to hear from Guidance on whether they
will need a PTA chair or not. Last year volunteers worked during advisory with 10 th graders however there is no
advisory period this year so not sure is needed yet this year.
LMC – Kelly O’Brien said volunteer orientation at Green is 10/1/08 at 9am with volunteer schedule to follow. Gold
campus position open, trying to find volunteer from membership forms, Julie Coley will follow up.
Directory – Lee Fazzari is doing again this year.
Newsletter – Joy Ross said will continue with 4 editions each year. Still had requests for 1,700 hard copies so will
continue for now. Would like to eventually go paperless like the middle schools.
Membership – Josetta Nair said we have 2,149 total memberships. More forms still coming in.
Green 1-Day – Kerry Kolzow said homecoming ticket sales going fine.
Gold 1-Day – Angie Gaul said homecoming ticket sales going fine. Nothing to report from Administration.
Graduation Signs – Mary Cluver said except for handful of missing signs, distribution went smoothly. Extra
signs/stakes to be put in storage room. Have 30 signs and 18 stakes left over. Mary Cluver will chair next year
Diversity – Cathy Piehl is looking for a replacement as she was recently appointed to the School Board. Upcoming
events include: Dialogue Circles on 11/15 and 11/27; Cultural Arts Fair on 12/13 and 9/24 at 6:30pm is a meeting
for volunteers for the Dialogue Circles.
Reflections– Martha Blount said signs are up throughout the school. Deadline is 10/14/08.
Reality Store – Position open but discussed responsibilities of chair. Julie Coley will email information to Rachell
Kitchen who expressed an interest in chairing this committee.
Scholarships – Beth Lisauskas said chairs returning. Committee meets in Spring.
November Dessert – Sandy Musachia said tentative date is 11/19. Hoping to get Darlene Apple to coordinate event
at Green Campus; Sandy is covering Gold Campus.
Staff Appreciation – Open, this event occurs in May 2009.
Senior Sailabration – Mary Anne Castro has agreed to be our PTA liaison. Sandy Musachia said working on getting
committee members. Looking for Senior parents to help with decorations. First meeting will be mid-October. Will
continue with early bird ticket sales; expect prices to be $40 - $45 for tickets. Date is 4/18/09.
IPPC – Patty Smith said may need to find a replacement if Darlene Senger wins election in November for State
Representative. Gave recap of IPPC kick-off meeting. Transportation and food services are up for bidding this
year. MVHS is ahead of schedule. Trying different schedules at the middle schools. District may offer a summer
Chinese camp of 90 hours to 4th and 5th graders this year. Enrollment up district wide.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS None.
Susie Redfern, IPSN Liaison presented information on the IPSN PTA, the only special needs PTA in Illinois. They
meet every 3rd Tuesday at 7pm at the District office with guest speakers each month. They currently have 90
members. Susie will be the WVHS liaison for the IPSN PTA. Julie Coley will pass along Michelle Brown’s
information to Susie regarding promotion of October as “Disabilities Awareness Month.”
Copies of 2008-09 Standing Rules were passed out. These are updated each year. Mary Anne Castro made a
motion to approve the Standing Rules; seconded by Jackie Greenwald. No discussion, motion passed.
Patty Smith outlined the WVHS PTA Transition Plan. The purpose of this document is to ensure we have open
communication with our incoming schools for the 2009-2010 school year, when MVHS joins District 204; while
maintaining our focus on our current students and the current school year. This plan was sent out to NVHS and
Scullen list serves as well.
Martha Blount offered a thank you to Patty Smith for starting this conversation. Mary Anne Castro also offered a
thank you on behalf of the Boosters Club who will follow suit with a similar plan.
Meeting adjourned by Patty Smith at 9:15pm.
Julie Coley, Secretary
*These minutes will be unapproved until presented at the next general membership meeting. At that meeting these
minutes will be “approved as written” or “approved with corrections”. The corrections will be noted.