Document Sample
withdraw_checklist Powered By Docstoc
					Checklist for Withdrawing from UMM
Use this checklist if you are planning on leaving the University of Minnesota Morris for one
semester or longer. You do not need to complete this checklist if you are leaving for a study
abroad or National Student Exchange program. Until an official notice of cancellation is received
in the Registrar's Office, spaces in classes are reserved, and tuition and fees charges continue to
accrue regardless of nonattendance.

_ Contact your academic advisor, instructors, and the Registrar’s Office. Taking incompletes
and finishing your course work at a later time may be a better option than withdrawing for some
students. You may want to discuss this option with your instructors, advisor, and the Registrar’s

_ Speak to a Financial Aid Counselor. You may be required to repay all or a portion of your
financial aid which can include: grants, scholarships, employment and/or loans. If you are
transferring to another institution, you may need to cancel future financial aid at UMM before
your new school can award your financial aid. For more information visit our Web site at

_ Drop your classes. If you are leaving the University for any reason, you must cancel your
classes to avoid receiving “F” grades. You will need to cancel your last class with the Registrar’s
Office. You may be responsible for all or part of the tuition and fees if you cancel after the first
week of classes for fall or spring semester. Summer deadlines will vary. Check the cancel/add
deadlines at http://www.morris.umn.edu/services/registrar/canceladd.html and the refund
deadlines at http://www.morris.umn.edu/services/business/Refunds.htm . Be sure to cancel any
registrations for future terms if you do not plan on returning. You will receive a grade of “W” for
each class you cancel after the second week of the term.

_ Pay any remaining tuition, fees, and other charges on your student account. You will not
be able to reregister at the University or request an official transcript if there are any past due
charges on your account. Past due accounts may be referred to a collection agency and/or result in
legal action. Go to the cashier window of the Business Office, 205 Behmler Hall, to pay your bill.

_ Request a tuition refund (if applicable). If you are leaving the University for medical or
military reasons, or for academic dismissal/suspension, you may be entitled to a partial or, in rare
cases, a full tuition refund. Print the Tuition Refund Appeal form here:
http://www.morris.umn.edu/services/registrar/Forms/Tuition_Refund_AppealUMNMO.pdf .
You must provide third party documentation supporting your appeal. See the instructions on the
form for more details. If you are leaving for military reasons, please refer to the Active Military
Duty Cancellation Policy at: http://www.morris.umn.edu/services/registrar/military_leave.html .

_ Cancel your on-campus housing contract. Contact your residence director or resident advisor
as soon as you know you are cancelling and get the proper forms and information for checking
out of your residence hall or apartment. Failure to comply with check-out procedures may result
in additional charges being assessed to you. Go to
http://www.morris.umn.edu/services/reslife/check.html for further information.

If you rent off-campus and plan on leaving town, contact your landlord to discuss your options.
There may be financial penalties for canceling your housing contract or lease.
_ Return any books, equipment, or materials on loan from the University. Library books, lab
equipment, keys, sports equipment, etc. must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or
replacement costs.

_ Update your address and phone number. You can do this on the Student One Stop at
www.morris.umn.edu/onestop .

_ Contact the Boynton student health insurance office. You may no longer be covered by
student health insurance once you withdraw from school. If you are covered under the
University’s student health insurance, contact the Boynton insurance representative at 612-624-
0627 to determine your status. If you are covered under a private policy and are no longer a
student, contact the insurance carrier to investigate other coverage options.

_ International Students: Contact the Center for International Programs (CIP). SEVIS
requires notification when an international student leaves the University. Contact CIP, 231
Community Services Building, to fulfill this requirement.

_ Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. If you have completed the MN Transfer Curriculum, be
sure to meet with the transfer specialist, 204 Behmler Hall, before you leave UMM to ensure that
this achievement is noted on your transcript.

_ Miscellaneous
- Textbooks from the UMM Bookstore – can be returned at the beginning of the semester
- Post Office – leave a forwarding address
- Parking permits – contact Campus Security for a possible refund
- Meal plan – contact Marilyn in Food Service

_ Apply for Re-admission to UMM. If you interrupt your enrollment for more than one year,
you will need to Apply for Re-admission through the Admissions Office. It may be necessary to
withdraw for only one term; if you are in good standing, you will be able to register for the
following term without applying for re-admission!

Shared By: