BENEFITS OF UNITY!
TEXT: Psalm 133
1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in
2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard,
even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;
3 As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of
Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.
INTRO: If we dwell together in unity, it is good, it is pleasant, it is like an
anointing, and it is sustenance during the drought.
I. IT IS GOOD!
A. It is not bad.
1. Man has different standards of good and bad.
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is . . . goodness. . .
2. Man's ideas, creeds, and laws all pass away.
Psalm 52:1b . . . the goodness of God endureth continually.
3. We need God's goodness.
Psalm 119:68 Thou art good, and doest good; teach me thy
B. Some good and some bad men:
1. Hitler, Al Capone, . . .
2. Wesley brothers, Martin Luther, Ann Sullivan (Helen Keller's
C. How does this relate to you and I?
1. It is good for us to come to church in unity, but it is bad to
come to church
2. It is good for us to work together in unity, but it is bad to work
3. It is good for us to pray in unity and to talk in unity, but it is
bad to pray in
disunity and talk in disunity.
D. Psalm 34:3 O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name
II. IT IS PLEASANT!
A. It is desirable or delightful.
1. Psalm 135:3 Praise the LORD; for the LORD is good: sing praises
name; for it is pleasant.
2. Proverbs 15:26b . . . the words of the pure are pleasant words.
3. Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the
health to the bones.
B. Grumblers, complainers, and contentious men are undesirable. They are
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace,
gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there
C. For you and I, this has meaning!
Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words
1. Be pleasant in speech - it keeps down anger, and it aids unity.
2. Be pleasant in looks - it keeps down offenses, and it aids unity.
3. Be pleasant in actions - it prevents misleadings and
misunderstandings, and it
D. Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
III. IT IS LIKE AN ANOINTING!
A. Aaron was anointed.
1. He was not qualified to serve until he was anointed.
2. God would not have let him serve if he had not been anointed.
3. Why was Aaron any different from the others? Because he was the
was chosen and he was anointed.
B. We should be united.
1. We are not qualified to serve this community until we are united.
2. We will find it most difficult to serve those around us when we
We can't even have good services if we are not united.
3. What makes the difference in some churches that seem to be growing
prospering? There is a prevailing spirit of unity.
C. Romans 12:4-5, I Corinthians 12:18-27, Ephesians 4:11-16
IV. IT IS SUSTENANCE DURING THE DROUGHT!
A. The high places of Hermon and the mountains of Zion were so saturated
dew, that if it didn't rain there as it did in other places the
flourished. It survived without the rain because it had the dew.
B. We don't have to be blessed just like other churches. We may even have
dry spells. If we have the water of life among us, it will sustain
us. Unity will
keep us alive.
C. John 4:36 . . . both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice
CONC: 1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord
Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions
among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the
Ephesians 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Matthew 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as
touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father
which is in heaven.