The Russian Revolution
Introduction and Task:
The novel Animal Farm is an allegory for the Russian Revolution. This means that the characters and
events symbolize actual people and events in history. The task of this web quest is to research who and
what happened so that you can understand the “story underneath the story,” so to speak.
Your task is simple: visit the websites throughout the web quest, and fill in the answers on your
handout.....way more exciting than listening to me drone on about this stuff, right?! :)
Part I: George Orwell
Use the following site to find information to answer questions about Animal Farm's author, George
Orwell. Although we could spend an entire Web Quest on George Orwell, his life, and his writing, we are
focusing on Russian history today. A brief overview is all we need.
If you want to know more, you can also visit:
Part II: Nicholas II
Use the following pages to find information about Tsar Nicholas II.
Part III: Karl Marx, Leon Trotsky, and Communism
Visit the following sites to answer questions about these men.
History/Biography of Marx: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/karl_marx.htm?&0=
A famous quote from Marx:
A succinct explanation of Communism: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-communism.htm
More Trotsky: http://www.marxist.net/trotsky/life/life.htm
Part IV: Joseph Stalin
Stalin….What a guy……
A pretty succinct page on Stalin:
Stalin and Propaganda (Scroll down to #4): http://www.johndclare.net/Russ12.htm
Secret Police: http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/soviet.exhibit/secret.html
Part V: The Allegory
Visit the following sites for help on who and what represents who and what.
Name: _____________________________________________________________ Period: ____
The Russian Revolution and Animal Farm
1. What is George Orwell’s real name?
2. What is the name of the first book he published?
3. In what year was Animal Farm published?
4. How did Nicholas II feel about democracy?
5. What were working conditions in Russia like with Nicholas II as a leader?
6. What was Bloody Sunday?
7. Was Nicholas II an effective or poor leader?
8. Karl Marx said what of religion?
9. Marx helped to write The Communist Manifesto, which stated that all men were born free
but that society had got to such a state that the majority were ______________________.
10. Marx had ten points. Name two:
11. Write out the famous quote from Marx:
12. What is the phrase that explains Communism in a “nutshell”?
13. According to the site (and common sense), Communism would probably function well if
humans did not have the unfortunate tendency toward ___________________________.
14. Leon Trotsky wanted to improve life in Russia; he used his pen to oppose what leader?
15. Who ordered Trotsky’s assassination?
16. What title was Stalin given in 1922?
17. By the late 1920’s, what was his role?
18. What happened in the 1930’s during the Great Terror or Great Purge?
19. What did children learn about Stalin from their mothers?
20. What are some of the forms of propaganda that Stalin employed?
21. Stalin used a secret police force to force support of him and to kill the disobedient. We, in
recent years, think of the KGB, but what four letter acronym were they called in his time?
Now, you should be able to tell me who or what different aspects of Animal Farm symbolize
from history. Fill out this chart:
Animal Farm Russian Revolution