National Humanitarian Network (NHN) – Sindh Chapter Initiative
Event: Conference on “Emergency Response and Civil Society Concerns”
Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) formed the National Humanitarian Network (NHN) – Sindh
Chapter on September 20th 2011 at the Basic Development Foundation’s office located at
Prince Town, Qasimabad. The first working group meeting was held on September 24 th 2011 in
which a visit plan for an orientation meeting with CSOs of the rain affected district was made.
The NHN – Sindh Chapter Coordinator visited all the rain affected districts and met with the
Civil Society Organizations to review the disastrous situation and orient them about NHN to be
member of the network.
There was a good participation of CSOs in each district and they selected district focal person to
coordinate NHN activities at district level.
The COSs identified the following major issues in the emergency response process;
1. Misreported statistics of the flash flood affected people in PDMA reports.
2. No proper registration of IDPs, especially spontaneously settled in different parts of
3. Political influence on distribution of Food/ non food items.
4. Ineffectiveness of District Disaster Management Authorities (DDMAs)
5. Loss of school education due to different duties assigned to the teaching staff other
then education i.e. census, preparation of voter lists, flood damage survey and response
to emergency .
6. Lack of coordination at district level to facilitate the different relief agencies to avoid
duplication and wastage of resources.
7. Women and children suffering from a substantial number of health issues.
8. Poor drainage and sanitation system in towns and cities.
9. Hiring of non local employees— outside the province—in donors and INGOs.
10. Unavailability of Safe Drinking Water for IDPs.
11. Ineffective system of NADRA to issue Pakistan Cards.
12. Poor infrastructure, especially road networking.
13. Less funding for the relief and recovery phase.
The NHN - Sindh Chapter working group reviewed the operational and policy issues in depth
and decided to raise voice against the bad practices and policy issues at regional, provincial and
national level. The working group decided to organize the first event/ conference at Hyderabad
to highlight the issues of bad practices by relief agencies including hiring of non-locals and
partnering with small NGOs (outside the province), which is not only violation of rights of
indigenous people but also of merit.
1. To provide platform to the CSOs from the rain affected districts for sharing of their
experiences and concerns regarding the emergency response process especially the
bad practices of relief agencies in their respective districts.
2. To develop consensus among the CSOs and other stakeholders for the upcoming
challenges regarding early recovery and rehabilitation process.
1. All NHN – District Focal persons are invited one day before the event to make
preparation for the conference.
2. All NHN – members from districts are invited to participate in the event
3. All the NGOs/ working group members will participate.
4. Relief agencies/ INGOs
5. Media, lawyers, politicians, elected members, writers, activists, and academia will join
About 300 participants are expected to join this conference.
6. Support organizations:
The following support organizations has agreed to contribute for the NHN – Initiative
4. Pakistan Fisher Folk Forum
6. Takhleeq Foundation
7. BRDs Badin
SPO – Hyderabad is the lead organization to organize the Hyderabad event. However the logos
of all support organizations will be displayed on stage banner.
7. Agenda of the conference:
1. Briefing about NHN Sindh Chapter
2. Briefing by NHN -district focal persons
3. Speeches by CSO representatives
4. Question and Answer Session
5. Concluding remarks by the Chief Guest
7. Vote of thanks