Essay Topics for Animal Farm
Select One Topic and Write a 500-800 word Essay. Read Rubric Carefully.
1. Compare and contrast Napoleon and Snowball. What techniques do
they use in their struggle for power? Does Snowball represent a morally
legitimate political alternative to the corrupt leadership of
2. How does Orwell explore the problem of rhetoric and propaganda in Animal Farm?
With particular attention to the character of Squealer, how can language be
used as an instrument of social control? How do the pigs rewrite history?
3. What role does the real history of the Soviet Union play in Animal
Farm? Does Orwell treat Soviet history objectively, or does he simply use
it for his own political purposes? Or is the situation more complex?
4. Discuss the character of Boxer. What role does he play on the farm?
Why does Napoleon seem to feel threatened by him? In what way is
Boxer's betrayal the climax of the novel?
5. Do you think Animal Farm could be an effective or successful novel to
a reader who knew nothing about Soviet History, or about the conflict
between Stalin and Trotsky? What might such a reader make of the story?
Would Orwell's larger point still come across?