FACULTY OF ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
Faculty Alumni Bursary Scheme, 2012-13
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is pleased to be able offer up to 3 alumni bursaries to
outstanding applicants to full-time or part-time PhD programmes in any department in the Faculty who
hold or are currently studying for an undergraduate or Master’s level qualification from Lancaster
University. The value of each award will be £2,000 per year for three years for full-time programmes,
subject to satisfactory progress, and will be calculated on a pro-rata basis for part-time programmes.
Applications should be made via departments and will be considered by the Faculty Postgraduate
Funding Committee in late May/early June 2012. All applicants must already hold an offer of a place to
study in any department in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and be due to commence their studies
during the 2012-13 academic year. Applicants may only apply for an award for a programme on which they are
not already registered.
The application process is as follows:
1. Applicants who wish to be considered for any award available through the Faculty should
complete the Faculty Scholarship application form and submit it, together with a two-page
synopsis of their research proposal, to their admitting department by the specified departmental
deadline. Applications submitted directly to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences will merely be
forwarded to the relevant department.
2. Departments will submit lists of applicants ranked by academic merit to the Faculty Admissions Officer.
3. All applications received from departments will be reviewed by the Faculty Postgraduate Funding
Committee in late May/early June. Successful applicants will be notified in writing in July 2012.
Terms of the awards
The terms of the award are as follows:
1. Awards will be paid to holders of Lancaster University undergraduate and/or Master’s level
qualifications only. Award holders must be registered on PhD programmes in the Faculty of Arts
and Social Sciences.
2. Where an applicant has been made a Conditional Offer of a place on a programme, any award
made will be conditional upon the conditions being met.
3. Award holders will normally be required to undertake a small amount of work in their
Department, as a condition of their award, usually equivalent to approx 2 hours per week.
4. The value of the award is fixed at £2,000 per year for three years (or pro-rata for part-time
students), and will be off-set against tuition fees.
5. Awards are made subject to continuing satisfactory progress as a PhD student and may be
withdrawn at any time if progress is deemed to be unsatisfactory.
6. Bursaries will not normally be paid to holders of UK Research Council studentships, Faculty of
Arts and Social Sciences Postgraduate Studentships or Scholarships, Faculty of Arts and Social
Sciences Departmental Fees-only Bursaries or the equivalent thereof. The Faculty reserves the
right to withhold the unpaid portion of any bursary in the event that the holder succeeds in
securing alternative external funding at any time during the period covered by the award.
Faculty Alumni Bursary Scheme, 2012-13 (continued)
7. Applicants wishing to defer the start of their programme must apply in writing to the Associate Dean for
Postgraduate study for permission to do so. Any deferral of more than three months from the original
start date of the programme will result in the loss of the award for that academic year (although the
award holders may still benefit from subsequent years’ awards if applicable)
8. Students holding this award and wishing to intercalate during their studies must apply in writing to the
Associate Dean for Postgraduate Studies for permission to do so, in addition to seeking the permission of
their Head of Department.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
14 November 2011