Name____________________________________________________ Period_____ Date______________________
Ch. 16 and 17: Energy Study Guide (45 points)
Read Ch. 16
Answer questions 1-8 on page 383
Read Ch. 17
Answer questions 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 on pages 416-417
Read Supplement 20 and Supplement 21
Define the following:
breeder nuclear fission
Answer the following questions:
1. Which energy sources are renewable?
2. Some automobiles in the United States are fueled by natural gas. What is the
primary advantage of natural gas relative to gasoline as a transportation fuel?
3. In the majority of less developed countries, what is the major source of energy for
4. A home uses ten 100-watt lightbulbs for five hours per day. Approximately how
many kilowatt hours of electrical energy are consumed in one year by using the light
5. Which energy sources are not derived directly or indirectly from solar energy?
6. What could be some of the consequences of world oil production peaking and
7. What are three advantages and three disadvantages of wind power?
8. What are three advantages and three disadvantages of solar power?
9. What are three advantages and three disadvantages of hydropower?
10. What are three advantages and three disadvantages of nuclear power?
11. What are three advantages and three disadvantages of using biofuels?