Job title: Award Administrator – Applied Sciences (SCI11/07)
Faculty/School/Service: Faculty of Sciences
Normal Workbase: Stoke Campus
Tenure: Fixed term to cover maternity leave
Hours/FTE: Full Time, 37 hours per week / 1.0fte
Grade/Salary: Grade 5 currently £21, 802 - £25,251 per annum
Date Prepared: January 2012
The post holder will provide administrative support to a wide range of activities in the Faculty of Sciences including
award and programme area support to the Applied Sciences Programme Area. The post holder must have
excellent administrative skills and be competent in the use of a variety of IT packages. Previous administrative
experience, ideally in higher education would be desirable.
Reporting to: Administration Manager
Responsible for: Clerical support post
Support for Programme Area
• To provide administrative support to the Applied Sciences Programme Area
• To ensure Programme Area Management Team meetings and Field Boards are serviced as appropriate
• To support the process of the student placement scheme as operated by the Programme Area
• To provide administrative award support to all class based taught awards within Applied Sciences throughout
the academic calendar
• To provide administrative support to SURF or non SURF agreed awards within Applied Sciences
• Administration of the process of award enrolment
• Ensuring that module enrolment is conducted on to the Student Information System
• Agreeing coursework submission and return dates with the award tutors
• Ensure student assessment data is recorded on the University’s student record system (TheSIS Plus)
• Preparation of assessment and award board grids
• Undertaking the necessary preparatory work to ensure that Applied Sciences Assessment Boards and Award
Boards are managed effectively; servicing the exam boards, and undertaking the necessary follow up work to
prepare for the publication of student results
• Liaising with members of staff with regard to students with special needs
• Servicing designated course and award committees associated with the above awards, including the
arrangement of hospitality, drafting agendas, call for papers, taking minutes and follow up actions.
• To help in the return of coursework to students
Support for Operational Activities
• To supervise clerical support staff in all matters relating to the portfolio of awards and Programme area work,
advising on office procedures, academic requirements and Faculty regulations
• To undertake appraisals for appropriate members of the clerical team
• To provide cross team support as required at times of high operational demand
• To develop Faculty product knowledge via a range of medium
To undertake any other duties that may be required from time to time, by the Faculty Management Team.
This post is offered on a fixed term basis to cover maternity leave until approximately February 2013, working 37
hours per week.
Variation to Job Description
Staffordshire University reserves the right to vary the duties and responsibilities of its employees within the
general conditions of the Scheme of pay and conditions and employment related matters. Thus it must be
appreciated that the duties and responsibilities outlined above may be altered as the changing needs of the
service may require.
Conditions of Service
The post is subject to such terms and conditions of employment as negotiated between the Board of Governors of
the University and the recognised trade unions, and/or the employees of the University. In negotiating such terms
and conditions the Board of Governors will consider any appropriate advice received from the Universities and
Colleges Employers Association (UCEA).
We encourage you to apply on-line at our website http://jobs.staffs.ac.uk as the system is user friendly and simple
Please note that the University will not consider a Curriculum Vitae attached in support of your application and will
not use this document in the shortlisting process. Consequently, we would ask all applicants to ensure that they
have provided comprehensive information under each criteria in the Supporting Statements section of the
application form and, if necessary, add any relevant additional information in the Additional Information Section.
The closing date is midnight on Monday 30 January 2012
For information, interviews are likely to be held: w/c 13 February 2012