ATTENTION RETURNING STUDENTS:
BEFORE you connect your computer to our network using wired OR wireless,
you MUST UNINSTALL the Bradford Persistent Agent.
Frequently Asked Questions: *AMC = Ashland Main Campus
If at any time you receive an error message while following the steps below, please contact the TSC for assistance.
STEP 1: What’s my info?
Username, ID Number & Passwords
1. The quickest way to retrieve your Ashland username and ID Number is to connect to
2. Click I’m new to Web Advisor in the bottom right of the screen, and click OK to begin.
3. Enter your Last Name and your Social Security Number. Do not use any symbols or spaces. Do not type anything
in the Campus ID Number field. Click Submit.
4. Your username is shown as your User ID. Click the back button on your browser, and your Ashland ID Number
will appear in the Campus ID Number field. You can also get your ID number from your photo ID, your profile
info in Web Advisor, or from your university financial documents.
Remember: if your ID Number is not 7 digits long, add zeros at the beginning to reach 7 digits.
1. Web Advisor: Last six digits of your SSN.
2. Student email: au-####### where ####### is your ID Number.
3. Network Password: au-####### where ####### is your ID Number.
4. ANGEL: just your ID Number.
Step 2: FAQs
Logging on to a university computer:
1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del.
2. Enter your username and network password.
Connecting to the network in your residence hall room. *AMC
1. Before you come to campus, be sure you have a registered, updated anti-virus program installed, a firewall
installed and running, and Windows Updates activated. (Mac users will not need to meet these requirements.)
You can pre-scan your computer from home: http://remotescan.ashland.edu .
2. Before you boot your computer, connect it to a network wall jack using an Ethernet or cat 5 cable. Wireless is
not currently available in residence hall rooms.
3. Boot your computer and allow it to completely start up.
4. Open a web browser. You will automatically be directed to a registration page. If you do not get directed,
connect to http://register.ashland.edu . If you receive an “unspecified error”, you may already be successfully
registered with the network. Restart your computer, open a web browser and see if you can surf the web.
5. Click the first option: “Users who have a Network Account” and enter your username and Network password.
6. Click the “Download” button, and the “Run” buttons to run the Bradford Dissolvable Agent.
7. If you have met the requirements listed in step one, you should receive a “success” message. Allow the web
page to finish loading, close your browser, and restart your computer to update your network status. You may
need to do Step 7 more than once.
8. Remediation means you haven’t met one of these requirements. Click the “Ashland User” link to find out which
areas are preventing your computer from passing.
9. If there is a long list of issues, or the list includes “Antivirus” Trend Micro” it most likely means you do not have a
valid anti-virus installed, or your anti-virus is not recognized by the network security agent, Bradford.
10. If you have an antivirus installed, but Bradford is not recognizing it, we recommend you install ClamwinAV as
well. ClamwinAV will not interfere with your existing anti-virus program, but it will allow you to pass Bradford.
CDs with the ClamwinAV installer are available from the TSC. Please remember, most trial versions of anti-virus
programs will not pass Bradford. We recommend you uninstall these, and install a full version of an anti-virus.
11. If you do not have an anti-virus installed, please install one. Undergraduate students are eligible for Trend Micro
from the university. Check under the “Getting Trend Micro Antivirus from the university” section in this
brochure for more info. If you are not eligible for Trend, CDs with the installer for the free antivirus AVAST! are
available from the TSC.
12. If the list just has “Antivirus: Definitions”, your antivirus program needs to be updated.
13. If the list says ”Windows Updates” you need to turn on your Windows Updates in the control panel in the Start
14. After each issue is resolved, close and re-open your web browser. Try to re-register and re-scan before trying the
next step in your list.
15. More detailed instructions are accessible on the Registration CD available at the TSC.
Connecting to the wireless network *AMC
1. You must be in a common area, not a residence hall room, to access the wireless network.
2. Have the computer search for wireless networks, and connect to Ashland University.
3. Follow steps 4-15 in the “Connecting to the network in your residence hall room” section of this brochure to
Checking your Ashland student email:
1. Connect to http://students.ashland.edu .
2. Enter your username and Email password.
3. The first time you login, you will be asked to re-enter your password and enter a squiggly word:
Getting Trend Micro Antivirus from the university.
1. Only undergraduate students are eligible for Trend at this time.
2. Go to https://www.ashland.edu/students/it and click Request Trend Micro Antivirus .
3. Enter your username and network password, and fill out the requested information.
4. Write down your Trend Key Code, and follow the instructions to download Trend.
5. If you are an undergraduate student, but you are told you are not eligible, contact the TSC.
6. Run the Trend Installer from your computer, and install the standard version of Trend by following the
instructions Trend provides.
7. Be sure to activate & update Trend at the end of the installation. We recommend you use as your Trend
password au####### where ####### is your ID number. Do not use any symbols.
Getting the Microsoft Office Suite.
1. Only graduate & undergraduate students are eligible for Microsoft Office at this time.
2. Go to http://www.ashland.edu/students/it .
3. Click the Request Microsoft Office .
4. Enter your username and Network password, select your operating system, and click submit.
5. If you receive a message stating “Sorry, this is a valid login, but you are not eligible for Office,” you cannot
receive a copy of Office at this time. Contact the TSC for more information.
6. Complete the request form.
7. Office is free if you pick it up at the TSC window at the main campus. There is a $20.00 fee if you wish to have
the disc mailed to you. Only fill in your address information if you want the disc mailed to you.
8. Collect your disc from the TSC window in Patterson 100 during business hours, or wait for it to arrive in the mail.
Connecting a game console to the network *AMC
1. Navigate to http://register.ashland.edu/registration/GameRegister.html .
2. Input the information and click “Register”.
3. If you do not know how to get your MAC address, click the link at the end of Step 3.
4. Contact the TSC if you have any difficulties.
Minimum student system requirements.
1. System cannot be more than 4 years old.
2. PC: 2 GHz processor, 256 MB video card, 80 GB hard drive, DVD/CD+/- Burner, Ethernet capable network card.
3. PC OS/RAM options: Windows XP Pro w/SP3: 2 GB RAM, Windows Vista: 3GB RAM, Windows 7: 4 GB RAM.
4. Mac: PowerPC G4/G5 or any new Intel-based Mac processor, OS X 10. 4 or higher, 1 GB RAM, 64 MB video card,
80 GB hard drive, Super Drive (DVD/CD+/- Burner), Ethernet capable network card.
5. For student discounts on computers, visit http://www.ashland.edu/students/it/ and click ”Purchase a
Your username and password are your online authentication credentials and must be protected from unauthorized
disclosure and use. Use of University systems signifies you have read and will abide by the Acceptable Use Policy.
This policy can be found at: