ASSISTANT LIQUOR OPERATIONS DIRECTOR
The City of Lakeville is accepting applications for an Assistant Liquor Operations Director responsible for
providing management support and leadership to the City’s liquor department. Responsibilities include
assisting with implementation of retail objectives, operating plans, marketing strategies, and supervision of
employees. Bachelor’s degree in retail marketing or business and six years of experience in a retail setting
required; experience in a municipal off-sale liquor operation preferred. Starting salary: $58,848 - $65,640,
D.O.Q.; excellent benefits. Submit a resume and City of Lakeville application to Human Resources, City of
Lakeville, 20195 Holyoke Ave., Lakeville MN 55044 by June 4, 2007. For more information, call 952-985-
CITY OF LAKEVILLE
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Liquor Operations Director
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Liquor Operations Director
POSITION SUMMARY: Provide administrative and management support and leadership to the
City’s liquor department.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
• Assist the Liquor Operations Director in developing an operating plan and budget that projects capital
expenditures, revenues, expenses, and profits. Monitor sales and expenditures against the current budget,
perform sales and expenditures analysis, recommending corrective action when necessary. Review
financial and inventory reports monthly.
• Conduct daily audits of receipts, disbursements, and other financial records, reporting any deviations
from policy to the Liquor Operations Director.
• Assist the Liquor Operations Director in ensuring that all product pricing is set for merchandise sales to
assure attainment of profit margins and conformance with City policy.
• Prepare an annual marketing plan that provides a schedule and budget for all in-house flyers, newspaper
advertisements, and sale catalogs.
• Direct, oversee, and review all monthly physical inventories, informing the Liquor Operations Director
of any significant variances. Assist with the year-end physical count inventory and the preparation of
year-end inventory audit reports.
• Coordinate and supervise wine club, safety committee meeting, and general employee meetings.
Generate agendas and minutes and ensure complete documentation of all meetings.
• Assist the Liquor Operations Director in the implementation and supervision of all internal controls to
minimize loss of store assets and inventory.
• Assist the Liquor Operations Director in the development and implementation of all retail objectives,
policies, and procedures, including customer service objectives, operating plans, marketing strategies,
purchase plans, and store improvements.
• Maintain strict compliance of all applicable laws and regulations regarding the sale of alcoholic
• Maintain good public relations with citizens, local businesses, civic groups, suppliers, and other liquor
managers by projecting the proper image of a City-owned business. Assist in resolving any complaints
from customers, suppliers, and employees in accordance with City policy.
• Conduct an annual review of the policy and procedure manual and MSDS manual, submitting any
recommended changes in policy to the Liquor Operations Director.
• Coordinate and conduct product price survey of surrounding area liquor operations.
• Continue to increase and maintain knowledge and management skills by attending seminars, wine
conventions, and tastings to stay current with marketing evaluations and techniques.
• Assist the Liquor Operations Director in the preparation of the annual report.
• Responsible for reviewing and editing the “High Spirits” Lakeville Liquors monthly newsletter and
monthly calendar and coordinating their creation.
• Act as Director in the Liquor Operations Director’s absence.
• Miscellaneous duties include the following:
− Review and authorize payroll
− Maintain personnel records
− Generate daily and monthly spreadsheet documentation
− Coordinate employee uniform inventories and purchases
− Prepare, maintain, and invoice In-House Charge Accounts
− Review and reconcile NSF checks
− Back-up to the Accounting Technician position
− Perform other duties as directed
• Responsible for supervision and evaluation of the Store Managers. Provide leadership and coaching to
the Store Managers in the supervision of liquor department employees. Provide ongoing review and
feedback concerning department goals, projects, and priorities.
• Assist the Liquor Operations Director in the recruitment and hiring of all personnel, assessment of
employee performance, and the evaluation of the effectiveness of employee orientation and training
• Establish and maintain a working climate in which assigned employees are effectively motivated to work
up to their full potential.
• Bachelor’s degree in retail marketing or business and six years of experience in a retail setting.
Preference to be given for experience in a municipal off-sale liquor operation.
• Must have a minimum of two years proven supervisory experience.
• Must be available to work a schedule which includes a variety of days, evenings, weekends, and some
• Computer experience including knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software.
• Must possess a valid Minnesota Class C driver’s license.
• Experience in a municipal off-sale liquor operation.
• Excellent product and industry knowledge.