“Leadership in the Workplace”
What is Leadership?
Leadership in the Workplace
Leadership is an influence process; therefore, leaders are
people who, by their actions, encourage a group of people
to move toward a common or shared goal.
A leader is an individual; leadership is the function
that the individual performs.
Who are they?
1. Leading With Formal Authority
2. Leading With Informal Authority
WHERE ARE THE LEADERS
Team A Team B Team C
– A type of leader who is usually a manager and
is recognized as one with a position and a title
that reflect the individual’s status.
Focus on Developed
• Life Experiences
• Home life
• Personal Struggles
• Success Through Hardship
What Work Should Leaders Do
• Get on the Balcony
• Identify the Adaptive Challenges
• Regulate Distress
• Maintain Disciplined Attention
• Give the Work Back to the People
• Protect the Voices From Below
• A type of leader who exhibits many
characteristics of the formal leader but is not
recognized as a leader by an organization
and holds no title or authority. An informal
leader is very powerful in the organization.
They can impact decisions and outcomes
and the success of the organization.
Reality About Informal Leaders
• Informal leaders exist in ever organization.
• If persuade to join in can make a difference.
• Opinion leaders that can impact the success
• Informal leaders shape opinions
Attributes of and Effective Workplace Leader
1. Possess Team Building Skills
2. Possess Flexible Leadership Style
3. Have Courage and Determination
4. Are Open Minded
5. Have Integrity
6. Possess Good Communication Skills
Effective Workplace Leaders
• Change Agent
• Manage Conflict
• Mentor and Network
What Others Should See
• Leader being innovative
• Inspiring Trust
• Asking what and why
• Keeping an Eye on the Horizon
• Doing the Right Thing
The Process of Great Leadership
• Challenge the process - First, find a process that you
believe needs to be improved the most.
• Inspire a shared vision - Next, share your vision in
words that can be understood by your followers.
• Enable others to act - Give them the tools and
methods to solve the problem.
• Model the way - When the process gets tough, get
your hands dirty. A boss tells others what to do, a
leader shows that it can be done.
• Encourage the heart - Share the glory with your
followers' hearts, while keeping the pains within your