By: Lionel G. Garcia
About the Author
• A veterinarian.
• Writes about U.S. citizens with Mexican
• Born in San Diego, Texas & lived with
his Grandfather as a child. His grandpa
was a goat herder.
Purpose for Reading
• Interpret, comprehend, and recognize
the purpose (author’s purpose) for
reading this essay.
• To answer questions regarding the
• To build vocabulary
• To respond to the essay through an
• What do the following phrases
and words mean in terms of
baseball: Strike Zone, Ball, Strike,
Count, Double Play
• Evaded (v.) – avoided
Insight to “Baseball”
In “Baseball” Lionel G. Garcia
describes the unique
neighborhood rules that he and
his friends developed for their
version of the national pastime of
baseball, as well as the reactions
their game got from those who
watched it being played.