Permit No. 26
Since 1992, the Paralegal Studies Certiﬁcate Program at the University of
Nevada, Reno has trained students in all areas of paralegalism, providing
a noncredit educational experience of the highest caliber presented in
an intensive weekend format. The program is dedicated strictly to those
Sept. 20-Dec. 7, 2008
relevant subjects integral to success in the highly competitive paralegal ﬁeld.
In today’s rapidly changing workplace, busy professionals seeking career
Select Saturdays and Sundays,
change or advancement rarely have the time to spend two years in pursuit
Certificate Program of a degree. This program is designed to accommodate the schedules 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
of working adults, providing the tools essential to advancement in the Early registration is encouraged.
paralegal ﬁeld with training in those areas of law most in demand — legal
research and writing. Fee:
Taught by a state district judge and a municipal court judge with extensive $1,695 by Aug. 29, 2008
experience in Nevada’s state and federal courts, the program provides $1,895 after Aug. 29, 2008
students with the skills to accurately identify legal issues, research relevant Fee due by Sept. 19, 2008
law and apply the law to factual situations. Writing skills are developed in Fee includes textbooks, all
a highly eﬀective practice-oriented approach from initial demand letter
instructional materials, and
through motion and pleading exercises.
morning and afternoon
Successful program completion may apply toward the continuing education refreshment breaks.
requirements of the nationally recognized Certiﬁed Paralegal (CP) and
Certiﬁed Legal Assistant (CLA) designations granted through the National
Paralegal Studies Certiﬁcate Program to meet the instructors and learn
Sessions are held at the
Attend a free information session for the University of Nevada, Reno
Where: University of Nevada, Reno, Continuing Education Building
Association of Legal Assistants (NALA).
When: Tuesday, Aug. 12, or Thursday, Sept. 4, 2008, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
more about curriculum and career and internship opportunities .
University’s Redﬁeld Campus,
NEW! Free Paralegal Studies Information Sessions
18600 Wedge Parkway, Reno.
Register online today at www.extendedstudies.unr.edu.
Certificate Program • Sept. 20-Dec. 7, 2008
• According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics,
job opportunities for trained paralegals are projected to increase by
more than 29 percent between 2004 and 2014. NEW! Free Information Sessions
When: Tuesday, Aug. 12, or Thursday,
University of Nevada, Reno
• Certiﬁcate provides evidence to potential employers of successful
Reno, Nevada 89557-1048
Sept. 4, 2008, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
completion of a top-quality, noncredit educational program in
Where: University of Nevada, Reno,
preparation to join the paralegal ﬁeld or for career advancement. Continuing Education Building, 1041
• Out of 200 careers cited in a recent article, the paralegal profession rated N. Virginia St., Reno
second in overall employment satisfaction. Attend a free information session to
Register by August 29 meet the instructors and learn more
• Successful program completion may qualify for up to 112 contact hours
about curriculum and career and
and save $200! from the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA).
• Internships available oﬀer participants opportunities to gain valuable
real-world experience working in the legal environment.
Course Sessions Paralegal
SESSION I — Sept. 20-21, 2008 Instructors Studies Fall 2008 Registration
• Paralegalism Name _______________________________________________
• Access to the profession Firm ________________________________________________
• Professional responsibilities and ethics The Honorable The Honorable Mailing Address _______________________________________
• Legal terminology
Steven R. Kosach James L. Spoo City ________________________ State _________ Zip _______
SESSION II — Sept. 27-28, 2008 has been a State District Judge in Washoe County, is a Sparks Municipal Court Judge with more than 20
Billing Address ________________________________________
• Organization and structure of the Nevada legal system Nevada, for the past 18 years. He is a graduate of the years’ experience as an attorney in civil, family and
• Introduction to Nevada practice and procedure University of Nevada, Reno and the University of the criminal law, as well as real estate, business, nonproﬁt and City ________________________ State _________ Zip _______
• Substantive law: criminal law, criminal procedure Paciﬁc’s McGeorge School of administrative law and litigation. He Day Phone (______) ______________ Fax (______) ___________
Law. A member of the Nevada completed graduate studies at the Email ________________________________________________
SESSION III — Oct. 11-12, 2008
and California bars, he spent 18 University of Southern California
• Basic legal concepts in criminal and civil law Please register me for:
years in private practice before and the University of Oregon, and
• Substantive law: torts, contracts ❏ Paralegal Studies Certiﬁcate Program
he was elected to the bench earned a juris doctor from American
Sept. 20-Dec. 7, 2008 (Sched. #084PARA101)
SESSION IV — Oct. 18-19, 2008 in 1990. He was the Presiding University. Spoo served as mayor of
• Civil procedure Judge of the Second Judicial Sparks from 1983-1990, and as an ❏ Registration by Aug. 29, 2008 ......................................$1,695
• Pleadings District Court in 1995. He has assistant city attorney for the City ❏ Registration after Aug. 29, 2008 .................................$1,895
• Discovery taught and administered of Sparks, a state administrative law Full payment must be received by Sept. 19, 2008.
• Substantive law: real property paralegal programs in California judge, and deputy attorney general ❏ Enclosed is a check payable to the Board of Regents for $_____
and Nevada for the last 29 years. for the State of Nevada.
SESSION V — Oct. 25-26, 2008 ❏ Company Purchase Order______________________________
• Primary and secondary authority
❏ Or please charge my: ❏ VISA ❏ MasterCard
• Case law research and analysis
❏ Discover ❏ American Express
• Case citations
Cardholder’s Name ____________________________________
• Law library
Information Card No. _____________________________________________
SESSION VI — Nov. 8-9, 2008
Expires _____________________________ Amt. ____________
• Statutes Prerequisites / Registration Certiﬁcate Requirements
• Statutory research and analysis A high school diploma or equivalent is required to enroll in To receive a certiﬁcate in Paralegal Studies, program X ___________________________________________________
(Signature as it appears on card)
• Legislative history the course. No legal experience required. participants must earn a passing score of 28 or higher (40
possible) on each exam and 35 or higher (50 possible) on Sponsoring Organization Billing Information
• Introduction to Westlaw and LexisNexis Please return the registration form or call Extended Studies
each legal memorandum. Satisfactory completion (pass/
at (775) 784-4062 or 1-800-233-8928. Registration is also Company ____________________________________________
SESSION VII — Nov. 15-16, 2008 fail) of all exercises and 90 percent attendance are also
available online at www.extendedstudies.unr.edu or by fax
required, as well as extensive study between sessions. Address ______________________________________________
• Citators, principles of evidence and investigations at (775) 784-4801. For information, call (775) 784-4046 or
visit www.extendedstudies.unr.edu. City ________________________ State _________ Zip _______
SESSION VIII — Dec. 6-7, 2008 Continuing Education Units
Full payment must be received by 5 p.m., Sept. 19, 2008. Upon successful completion of the program, participants Day Phone (______) ______________ Fax (______) ___________
• Court rules and practice
Early registration is encouraged. may submit classroom hours to the National Association
• Legal writing of Legal Assistants (NALA) to apply for up to 112 contact Email ________________________________________________
• Course summary Cancellations hours toward the continuing education requirements Mail completed form to:
Full refunds will be given if this course is cancelled by of the nationally recognized Certiﬁed Paralegal (CP) and
Extended Studies. Participant-initiated cancellations
Paralegal Studies Registration
Certiﬁed Legal Assistant (CLA) designations. For more
NEW COURSE! Continue your legal education in 2009! are subject to a 15 percent processing fee, and must be
information, call (918) 587-6828 or visit www.nala.org.
received by noon on Friday, Sept. 19, 2008. No refunds will
University of Nevada, Reno
Legal Writing for Paralegals and Legal Assistants Reno, NV 89557
Jan. 26-Feb. 12, 2009 be administered after this date. www.extendedstudies.unr.edu
Visit www.extendedstudies.unr.edu for details.
(775) 784-4062 or 1-800-233-8928
The University of Nevada, Reno is an Equal Opportunity/Afﬁrmative Action, ADA institution. A portion of program fees may be used to pay hosting expenses. Produced by Extended Studies Marketing Dept., 6/08. Fax: (775) 784-4801