2324 (Chigwell) Squadron ATC
Civilian Committee Meeting
Tuesday 30 January 2007, 7.45pm
2324 Squadron HQ, Squirrels Lane, Buckhurst Hill
Present: Flt Lt Russ Hollington (Commanding Officer)
Pam Bollen (Chair)
Andria Squirrell (Secretary) (“AJS”)
Andy Sweet (Treasurer) (“AS”)
Apologies: Brian Bollen
1. Sign off of minutes from the last meetings (17 October and 20 November 2006)
1.1. PB circulated draft minutes for the meeting on 20 November 2006. Both that draft,
and the draft of the notes for the 17 October meeting, were accepted as true
records of the meetings.
2. Commanding Officer’s Report
2.1. Cadet numbers: remaining constant at around 35 parading and about 42 on the books.
2.2. Past / future activities:
January: Leadership weekend (20-21 January)
For staff and NCOs/cadets hoping to become NCOs. A
successful weekend which included initiative exercises,
tackling leadership tasks, preparing lessons, etc.
February: Gliding Instruction Course (18 February)
To be held at Wethersfield.
5-a-side football (25 February).
March: Skiing (3-11 March)
3 from 2324 joining this joint trip with 27F to Wengen. A
disappointing turnout from 2324 but this may be because
the trip falls in the school term, it was organised at
relatively short notice and it was more expensive this year
(c£600 each) because an extra instructor had to be hired (as
Richard Gillett is no longer with 27F).
NCO’s course (16 March)
Weekend course, with 3 NCOs from 2324 due to attend.
Staff Development course (17-18 March)
2.3. Extension: work on the sewage pump has now been completed and the arms chest
4bd5e6f2-78fb-46d2-a529-e918a69989c4.doc Page 1 of 4
(a) Visit by Group Captain Haikin (18 January): the visit went well, and Gp Cpt
Haikin seemed impressed by the Squadron, its staff and the numbers attending.
(b) Annual inspection (Sqn Ldr Battram) (5 February): the inspection covers RH
paperwork, the cadets’ appearance and behaviour, etc.
(c) Cadet Record Database: information is gradually being added.
(d) Police liaison: nothing further has been heard about the erection of a half-bar
at the top of the service road. If problems do occur in the future, RH will
resurrect the issue with the Police.
(i) CWOs Bowden and Bollen are both due to attend staff development courses.
(ii) Secondments: Matt Davis has finished his 6 month spell with 2324 (from
241); Simon Martyn is now with 2324 (from 27F) for 6 months. This type of
secondment is being encouraged by Wing and it may be possible in due
course to second someone from 2324 (eg CI Bridger or CWOs Bollen/Bowden).
(f) Minibus: the problems experienced towards the end of 2006 have been
rectified. The minibus now has a new starter motor, alternator and battery.
The road tax has been renewed and it is due for an MOT shortly.
3. Treasurer’s Report
3.1. Account balance: including the Jack Petchey awards yet to be used, there is just
under £3,000 in the Squadron account. To be drawn from that is repayment of the
road tax for the minibus (£165) and the fee for 2324’s domain name registration/
renewal. An up to date statement is still awaited from the bank – AS to chase. AS
3.2. Payment of subs: the Committee agreed that the option to pay subs by standing
order would be offered. PB to design a form (displaying the Squadron logo) with a PB
view to these arrangements starting from the new financial year in April.
3.3. Jack Petchey awards:
(a) There have been 10 cadet awards in total (£200 each) plus the Leader’s Award
made to Peter Pallett. Three of the awards have been spent (a total of £600),
three have been earmarked for adventure training kit, one (possibly two) for
CCTV equipment and one for a flight simulator (with hand and foot controls) for
the PC – leaving one, possibly two, awards which remain to be spent.
(b) The Leader’s Award has been acknowledged.
(c) Football kit: a request has been received from the cadets about the purchase of
new football kit and whether the cost might be met from Jack Petchey funding.
It was agreed that Cpl Clark and CWO Bollen would research prices and submit a
proposal, including three costed options, for consideration by the Committee.
PB to notify CWO Bollen. PB
3.4. Minibus fund: AS to consider setting money aside each year towards the next AS
minibus, subject to levels permitted to be held by the Charity Commission.
4. Draft Committee meeting dates
4.1. The Committee discussed the draft dates. It was agreed that the dates between
March and July would be moved back by one week, the August date would be
cancelled, and meetings would resume in September at 6 week intervals. Revised
dates to be circulated. AJS
4bd5e6f2-78fb-46d2-a529-e918a69989c4.doc Page 2 of 4
5.1. Quiz Night debrief December 2006
A total of £276.42 was raised. The event went well, with a good turnout from
parents. Football lottery cards were sold instead of holding a raffle – these did not
raise as much as perhaps a raffle might have done but it was thought worthwhile
having them again to vary the format. There was also a small auction at the end.
5.2. Events for 2007 (Andy Bridger attended for this item)
Various ideas for fundraising events were discussed.
5.3. Setting a calendar for 2007 events
A draft calendar was drawn up. AB/AJS will discuss separately and AJS to produce a AB/AJS
revised agenda – based on the following:
(a) Sponsored fun run 27 January
Initial indications are that this event will raise in excess of £400. AS
(b) Sponsored hair removal 24 March
For staff and cadets – cadets must be 16 or over and have parental consent.
(c) Easter Quiz 31 March
PB will be quizmaster and provide the questions. AJS to do flyers and food. PB/AJS
(d) Sponsored vehicle pull 26 May
AB is trying to arrange with North Weald to pull a plane or a fire engine down the
runway. If this date is convenient with the airfield, it coincides with the market
held there. Otherwise, something could be arranged through the fire station at
Loughton, where AB has contacts. Refreshments could also be sold at the event
to help raise additional funds.
(e) Parents Day 23 June
The day will be expanded to include money-making stalls (eg competitions/
items for sale, etc). It will also provide an opportunity to sell tickets for the
(f) Jazz Night date tbc
To be held at the Police Club and to follow a similar format to last year’s event.
The BBQ will be hired from the venue this year and the open sections of the
marquee will be roped off to prevent access by routes other than the main
entrance. The band has confirmed they are willing to play at this event. RH to RH
speak to Steph Godwin about band availability for either 30 June or 14 July; KT KT
to book the venue when the date has been confirmed with the band.
(g) Supermarket bag packing 15 September
Waitrose in Buckhurst Hill to be approached regarding this event or, if they are
unable to help, the Sainsbury’s in Loughton. PB to contact the supermarket(s). PB
(h) Sponsored cross-country 25 November
To tie in with the Wing competition which takes place in Chingford.
(i) Auction/raffle 15 December
Items to be obtained through the year (via AB) – some to be auctioned off to the
highest bidder, some as part of a closed “lowest bid” lottery (ie those interested
in the item pay £1 to make a bid; the lowest unique bid “wins” the item).
4bd5e6f2-78fb-46d2-a529-e918a69989c4.doc Page 3 of 4
Community Initiatives Fund: advertised in the Gazette. KT has obtained the KT
guidance notes and forms and will consider further.
6. Presidency of 2324
6.1. RH to write to Eleanor Laing MP to ask if she would be interested in taking over the B/F
role of president of 2324. March
7. Opening Ceremony
q decision on whether to go ahead with this event will be made once the position of B/F
presidency has been resolved. March
8. Remaining action points from minutes of previous meetings
8.1. Minibus: PP is the registered keeper – RH to find out what other squadrons do in RH
order to decide who should take this over.
8.2. Insurance: once the stock-take of equipment has been carried out and a full
inventory has been made, contents insurance can be taken out through the ATC
which offers blanket insurance to cover equipment.
8.3. Notification of change of Treasurer: utility (water, electricity and telephone)
suppliers need to be notified (rates are paid for directly from HQ), together with
NatWest, the Charity Commission and DVLA (once the new registered keeper has
been determined). The Charity Commission should be notified of all current AS
members of the Committee and the location list also needs to be updated. RH
8.4. CO’s plaque: RH to speak to Brian Pallett, former CO of 2324, who made this suggestion. RH
8.5. Makro card: AJS to find out about the current card and whether cards can be AJS
obtained for the rest of the Committee.
8.6. Furniture: AS to arrange for a cheque in the sum of £100 representing a donation AS
from the Committee to the Churchill House Appeal which gave a number of items
(including chairs, cabinets and a photocopier) to 2324.
9.1. Speeding offence: the offence was quashed and no further action taken.
9.2. RAF Club dinner: this event will be repeated this year – members to bring to the All
next meeting dates when they are available (Tuesdays or Wednesdays throughout
August). Open to Committee members, staff, SNCOs and partners.
9.3. Communication with parents: a newsletter to be sent out shortly looking back at AJS
fundraising in 2006 and encouraging more participation by parents.
10. Date of next meeting
10.1. The next meeting will be held on 13 March 2007 at 7.45pm at Squadron HQ.
4bd5e6f2-78fb-46d2-a529-e918a69989c4.doc Page 4 of 4