MLA Formatting FAQ
Basic MLA Style Guide-
Important Pages in the Textbook
• Hanging Indent- Page 105 or Quick
Reference page - 5
• Using a header to create page
numbers- pages - 82, 83
• Paraphrase- “To restate something using
other words, especially in order to make it
simpler or shorter ”(Encarta Dictionary).
Always cite your source with a
parenthetical citation when paraphrasing
• Direct Quotations- Always use quotation
marks and a parenthetical citation
Direct Quote Examples
• Romantic poetry is characterized by the
"spontaneous overflow of powerful
feelings" (Wordsworth 263).
• “Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally
shot and wounded a companion during a
weekend quail hunting trip in Texas,
spraying the fellow hunter in the face and
chest with shotgun pellets” (CNN.com).