School & Family Board Meeting
August 19, 2008
Present: Kathleen McNeil, Lisa Thomas, Barb Glaeser, Sarah Pfau, Jack Young, Ann
McIvor, Gina Hastreiter, Liz Heinrichs, Candice DeJarlais, Drew Petersen, Jeanine
Ranzen, Patty Chryst, Sue Addamo, and Jill Tancill.
Unexcused Absences: Kristin Hornung
The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m. and began with a prayer/reflection led by the
Minutes of the May 15, 2008 meeting were discussed and approved.
The streamlined registration packets for School & Family were well received. We got positive
feedback about how much easier it was to get through the information.
Barbara Glaeser was a guest at the meeting, and she informed us that Msgr. Ken will be at the
next S&F meeting scheduled for September to talk to us at the beginning of the meeting.
For the 2008-9 school year, 9 slots were filled, 3 of which were shifts in responsibilities for
existing staff. The faculty for each of the grades was part of the selection and interviewing
process. Our staff is all in place for the school year, and we were very lucky and blessed with
the staffing results.
With the time change for the school year due to bussing changes, all of the schedules for all of
the grades needed to be adjusted for the new hours, so they have been very busy with
finalization of that.
Lauren has been going to the diocesan meetings & jumping right into her new role as the
Assistant Principal. Steve is still healing, and his family relayed that they can feel the prayers
that have been sent for his recovery. The Catholic Leadership award ceremony is in October,
and it is Steve’s goal to be able to attend to accept his award.
The Education Commission is meeting next Tuesday, and the S&F representative will be
determined at that time.
The Athletic Association met last Thursday and had a coaches meeting Monday night, so
everything is in full swing.
Lauren sent her apologies for not being able to attend the meeting, but she will be attending
next month. Please make certain to add Lauren to all of the distributions for S&F
Our Lady Queen of Peace School 418 Holly Avenue Madison, WI 53711
Working together to enhance our children’s education.
S&F Board Meeting Minutes
Page 2 of 5
Barb Glaeser informed us that she is finishing with her year-end numbers, and she & Gina have
been working together. We will have all of the year- end numbers available at the October
meeting. Barb has discovered in the past that there has been a bit of a disconnect between
money passed over & where the dollars have been allocated. This information will be included
in the year-end update.
There are some big expenditure projects currently going on or being scheduled at the parish;
this is what Msgr. will be coming to the meeting in Sept. to talk with us about in more detail:
The middle section of the school roof is being redone (it is 25 years old). This will be
done from the grass side during the school year. It is imperative to finish this before
another snow season after the ice dam issues that we had last year.
The Spire Steeple is the other project. The last time that this was maintained was in
1995, and it is well overdue for caulking.
The lighting system for the cross needs to be redone
The windows in the Gathering Space addition adjacent to the spire need to be replaced
due to water and moisture issues.
Waterproofing of the auditorium to avoid the problems that we’ve had in the past year.
All of these issues are being done under the supervision of an engineering firm – having
assessments and testing done to ensure that we are addressing and fixing problems to
preserve the investment that we have in the church instead of implementing temporary band-
aids that will need to be readdressed.
The multipurpose room will be a part of all of these planned changes. They are looking at all of
the lighting for the auditorium, offices for Christine & food service. Patty was invited to go the
finance council to talk about the multipurpose room, and it was decided that this would be
included in the plans. We will not be doing a capital campaign for this project – this room was in
the original blueprints from 1954, so it is just a continuation of the implementation of the original
An ad-hoc committee has been put together to determine the scope of this effort and the plan
for raising the funds and the rollout is expected in the end of September.
Gina updated that she is in the process of moving all of the finances over to Quick Books.
Maggie had everything on Quicken, but moving to Quick Books will put us on the same software
as the parish finance committee making sharing of data more seamless.
Lisa Haas did a write up on SCRIP in the Spirit newsletter. The link for Simplified Scrip is on the
parish & the school website. We have been offered to have a table at Time & Talent Weekend
to promote Simplified Scrip & encourage parishioners to look into it and learn how easy and
convenient it is to use on the internet. We will need to staff the table for this weekend. Msgr.
has challenged the staff to use SCRIP and is encouraging our parish to use it. Additionally, he
asked the staff to buy gifts and supplies using SCRIP.
S&F Board Meeting Minutes
Page 3 of 5
Gina did some testing to see if she could “trick” the system, and the customer service has been
great, and it seems to be fool-proof to her tests.
We have some old SCRIP cards left that we still need to move out of the office, but we’ve sold
most of the stock that we had. Gina emphasized the importance of making certain that
parishioners ordering SCRIP on the new website choose the correct Our Lady Queen of Peace
since we are not the only one on the website.
Candice will put up the Simplified Scrip posters in the school & on the bulletin boards in the
church after asking Lisa Haas.
It was proposed that everyone on the S&F board be challenged into ordering from SCRIP
before the next meeting.
Kindergarten Open House – Sarah Pfau has talked to Carol Albertini. The teachers are
planning on ½ hour in the auditorium before the parents move on to the classrooms.
Sarah asked if S&F could be introduced briefly since it did not go well trying to do this at
the Kindergarten Potluck. She indicated that they were trying to keep it brief, but we
were welcome to attend and introduce ourselves. Liz, Kathleen, & Sarah will all be
there. Msgr. will be invited to see if he would like to greet the parents and start the
evening out with a prayer.
Kristan Collins is working on the Kindergarten potluck
Boo-Hoo breakfast – the volunteer form for the Boo-Hoo breakfast that normally goes in
the registration packet was overlooked. Paula needs help soliciting volunteers to help
out with donations of food & helping with setup/cleanup. Sarah offered to contact
Margaret Maher to see if she would be willing to contact her email list of volunteers for
teachers’ appreciation for this.
There was no update this month since Kristin was not able to attend. Will get update next
Sale is in progress. The order forms and catalogs went out in the registration packet. The
bulletin board has already been decorated for this promotion. We need to talk to Dean about
adding the link for this website to S&F, as well.
Liz suggested adding a page in the school directory for web-link information on this and other
Pam Moore and Bekki Roggensack are co-chairing the event and have purchased the auction
software for $2,600.00 & after that it is $795/year. We were already paying $500 a year for the
terminals at checkout, so this is only $400 more & can be used for the Pancake Breakfast, as
well. This software will allow several people to input data simultaneously, and is an overall
database that can be used throughout the auction process, all the way to the thank you letters
at the end. The software is paid for in the back end of the auction & comes directly out of the
proceeds from the event.
The theme of the auction is “QP Prom”.
S&F Board Meeting Minutes
Page 4 of 5
We have a new abstinence speaker that will be coming in for the 7-8 graders. Possible
programs for 4-5 grades include Leotha Stanley or ballroom dancing.
Liz prepared a spreadsheet with approximate timelines for S&F events and tasks (see attached
sheet at the end of minutes). Newsletter deadline for October has not been determined yet.
Candice asked that requests for newsletter updates be submitted by the middle of the month
before since the final drafts are due approximately by the 20th of the month before. Candice will
contact Kathy for hard dates on this, and will send out drafts of the newsletter contents prior to
final submission for any additional content.
It was suggested that the newsletter have a continual box that gives ongoing fundraising
information & web links (SCRIP, Innisbrook, magazine sale, etc.) every month.
The bulletin board currently has the Innisbrook sale promotion up – this will be changed after
Sept. 12th when this fundraiser is completed. As mentioned earlier, the SCRIP posters will be
put up, and as promotions come in to Gina for monthly SCRIP “specials”, these will be
advertised on posters & in the newsletter when possible, as well.
It was asked that blanket “thank you’s” for events be covered in the newsletter.
It was suggested that we might want to have lunch duty placed on the website to reduce the
amount of time that the office has to spend finding subs for lunch duty. Placing the schedule on
the website is a good goal, but it will take time to get through all of the paperwork. It was
suggested that we could possibly put computers out next year for individuals to sign up for lunch
duty – this would go a long way to reducing computer input for the schedule.
It was suggested also that the website should have links for contact information of homeroom
parents w/ email links so that parents could more easily contact homeroom parents of their
It was suggested at the end of last year that we have a Chairpersons meeting to welcome
everyone at the beginning of the year. Since the year is about to begin & everyone is so busy
with the new school year & upcoming events, it was suggested that an end of the year thank
you potluck be given for the Committee Chairpersons towards the end of the school year
instead. Most S&F events are wrapped up before May, so it was suggested doing it before the
busy month of May. We could ask for commitment for the following year at this event, or for a
referral for someone to take over if they are not interested in doing it again the following year.
Patty is interested in continuing this for the upcoming school year. Patty asked if we were
interested in doing topics or grade levels, as it has been done both ways in the past. Topics
mentioned were maintenance issues & Simplified SCRIP.
Revised Liaison Assignments-
It was asked if Kate Coleman still wanted to be the chair for Principally Coffee. Any changes to
the information on the updated Liaison assignments, please cc Candice so that the final copy
sent to Dean for the website is accurate.
S&F Board Meeting Minutes
Page 5 of 5
Roster/Contact Information for S&F Board –
Liz updated this information & distributed it for final approval of correct information. This list will
be submitted for the website.
Zach Lanham will be coming to the next meeting to discuss the need for new Spanish text
books. His current books are very difficult to work with, and he has been working on getting
new books in for the students.
Next meeting will be on Thursday, September 11, 2008 in the teachers lounge. Msgr. Ken will
come in the beginning as our guest to discuss parish finance projects. Additionally, Zach will
come to discuss the Spanish books.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:40 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Candice DeJarlais