Jan 17_2011 - UNC Charlotte by jianghongl


									From: Stein, Jack
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:52 AM
To: Johnson, Bob; Smelser, Ron
Cc: Castaneda, Armando; Desgraves, Sean; Dyer, Rodney; Edgecombe, Jason; Rhodes, Terry;
Whisler, Dave; Wale, Nicolas; Peshave, Mitesh; Verner, Andrew; Williams, Roy; Hatley, Nathaniel;
Gortney, William; Hayes, Raven; Walters, Kyle; Edwards, Travis; 'Andrew Stein'; Andre, Sandeep;
Rahane, Ameya; Plover, Mark
Subject: Mosaic and PCS status for week ending Jan 17,2011 –Jan 23,2011

Mosaic and PCS status for week ending Jan 17,2011 –Jan 23,2011
Key highlights:
    Mosaic Update:
                 -Autodesk Civil 3D 2010
                 -Microsoft Security patches
                 -EndNote x4
            o We have been asked by Alain Miatudila to release an updated version of Google Earth –
                 Feb 2011
            o We will likely have to release an updated version of Hydraflow for Civil 3D 2010
         Working with TA to make sure they understand the impact of policy 85 which address golf
            cart routes and parking.
         Attended CAC meeting. Review of Web strategy with Richard McDevitt
         Attended CEFO meeting, faculty and staff recognition
         Attended the Mosaic and PCS Help Desk Lead meeting to review projects and initiatives
         Attended Mosaic and PCS TA All-Hands-on-Deck meeting
         Visited with Armando and Sean the ITS organization at Central Piedmont Community
            College. Learned quite a bit.
         Met with Terry Xu to review the Facilities Online Management System that will be piloted.
            See http://www.fomnetworks.com/ Terry is requesting Mosaic support. I am working with
            the vendor to assess the effort and keeping Scott Smith in the loop.
         Interview continues for 1 Help Desk TA .
         Interview process for position for Mosaic Linux technical specialist to replace Sumanth.
         Raven has completed the inventory of Mosaic network printers and plotters - tracking this in
            a Google doc.
         CSW has been re-scheduled after Don Blackmon suggested that it would be prudent with the
            university closure for 3 days (Jan 10-12).
         Plans forming for a CSW 2011 in summer session.
    Customer Support:
             Work continues to provide all computing needs of Aravind Kailas (new faculty in ECE).
             Addressed various Digital Signage issues. We still have an issue in Hawthorn. Looking into
              an issue that Mike Hermann is having with Edit and Save of the template.
             We are working with a slowdown of systems during the weekly Trend Micro scan of the
              local drives. Rodney addressing issue with Mosaic menus taking long time to come up.
             Work continues to resolve projector problems with PPT files images not of good quality in
              Duke 275 and Duke 276. Working with faculty members and Classroom Support.
             Work continues to resolve an issue with Solidworks and Motion module for Ted Jarrell.
             Worked with Dr. Uddin to get a room set up for his training session on 1/20-1/21 where he
              requires to drive projector output from 2 laptops.
             Supported Jeff Raquet with coverage for his first week of classes in Duke 323.

        Work efforts and progress accelerating on the Senior Design Project based a committed
          schedule for the project. Mark Plover is working on this. Andrew Stein has been working on
       the project to get it on track and to help mentor Mark. Met with Bill Heybruck to review use
       of Google docs for senior project teams; also reviewed Senior Design Project Management
      Met with Sandeep to review enhancements needed for the ticket system.
      Worked with Karina on what we need to do to get eAdvising IV going. Discussed funding for
       Andrew Stein with Patty. The eAdvising project is on hold pending funding support.
      Dave is continuing the efforts continue with the Web Pages transition to the new UNC
       Charlotte template.
      Migration of our Web site hosting to Linux servers continues. Weekly, more sites will be
       migrated as Jason is managing the roll out using a spreadsheet in
       N:\uncc\coe\mosaic_lab_group\Documentation\Web\Projects\Linux server migration The
       Mosaic and PCS TA are helping out by verifying and testing specific pages for each web site
       that migrates. This has been very helpful.
          Progress of College Web site migrations from Unix to Linux:

                 Total sites:                               91
                 Sites migrated                             36
                 Sites in Progress                           0
                 Sites NOT migrated:                        55
                 Sites proxied:                             16
                 Percent complete                         40%
    Working on the following product issues:
        Mentor Graphics and Modelsim - working with Ron Sass in ECE for funding since they
            use it but mistakenly indicated to me that they were not using this product – ET has taken
            on the burden of paying for this renewal and it should be split between ECE and ET.
        Ansys – license file to allow us to support the Windows back version versus the Linux
    Working with Dan on the condenser relocation project. An exterior staircase is planned for the
       Prospector right smack where the current condenser is sitting in between Smith and
       Prospector. This will happen in Feb 2011 and while the unit is moved we will need
       supplemental cooling for the Smith server room. Dan is coordinating the entire project.
    Compiled justification form and submitted to the dean for position 3990 which is now on
       hold as part of the campus wide directive to freeze all hiring. The Chancellor is reviewing all
       requests for hires.
    We are waiting on Dan to close up before end of Jan 2011on the details of costs for the EPIC
       server room. We are trying to determine what are all the pieces and part that make up the high
       costs of the Mosaic Server Room, Staging Room and offices for Terry in the EPIC Building.
    Terry continues with the migration of volumes from our Unix file server to the Linux file
       server. We should be on more Linux File server by the end of Q1 2011.
    Device Data Base will be updated by Armando to accurately reflect Mosaic printers on the
       network that we support; All other printers will be reviewed before removed. Dave Whisler
       to make changes to Device Data Base to capture more info on printers.
    Continue to deal with the ramification from a stolen laptop that Dr. Lim (SEEM) reported.
       Sean is following up with ITS (laptop has the LoJack Computrace anti theft software on it)
       and providing weekly update.
    Based on feedback from Tom York, auditor, started working with Sean on the authoring of
       “Good laptop practices for faculty and staff” for COE to avoid data loss and identity theft;
       also approached ITS (Jay Dominick) for using this as a basis for the campus.
    We are assessing how we handle remote access for Windows and Linux users. Proposal to
       modify Device DB and other back end processing.
    Efforts continue to determine our Windows 7/Mosaic II strategy. Research work is on hold
       and may pick up in the summer of 2011 as we cope with the loss of Chad.
          The work by Mitesh on the Printer Management Web app is progressing; Updated functional
           specs and Dave created a schema. Test plans updated on Google docs; bugs and bug tracking
           - all in Google doc.
         Follow up items:
         o Computational Cluster status with Ahmad Sleiti – he will be ready to decide by first week of
             Jan 2011;
         o Process started to get web cams and other equipment for the Duke ME shops/labs so that
             they can be monitored for safety. This is a request from Scott Smith and will be split into 3
             phases to deliver a complete solution. We got the quote for the networking work for 12 web
             cams in Duke - $3600
         o We have been given an opportunity to provide laptop support to all of the Levine Scholars.
              We are assessing this. A meeting with Jay Dominick and Levine Scholar coordinator is
             scheduled for Feb 2010

Application software:
    RAM structural Steel a new version from Bentley needs to be rolled out.
    Waiting on Civil decision about funding renewal of Visual Modflow support.
    Office 2010 will be released in the summer of 2011.
    Renewal of Aveva PDMS software license completed. Have a license file. Not installing this
         license file as no one is using the product in the college.
    Working with Mesbah Uddin about renewal for CFD-ACE license. Current one expired 1/5/11.

Digital Signage

Other projects and initiatives
     We will be evaluating a bug tracking system (web based). Bugzilla and JIRA are 2 of the
     Working on Facebook presence for the college. Mike H and I attended an on line class on social
        networking on Nov 8,9 – some value to this but I will be reviewing a book called “Facebook for
        Dummies” to better understand this social media outlet and how it can be utilized in the college
        for recruitment, and helping the college with keeping up with our alumni.
     Hosting of the 2011 AFS and Kerberos Best Practices at UNCC - June 6-10, 2011
                  o With help from Ron Smelser and Bev Guessford the locations has been finalized.
                  o YFS approved and signed off on the cost for the 2011 AFS/Kerberos conference at
     Looking at using Synergy software for Mosaic Help Desk

Linux –projects status
                         a.   Between Terry and Nathan they build a Mosaic Linux on a Dell Optiplex 960
                         b.   Linux class to Mosaic TA is planned for Feb 17
                         c.   The Opti980 sound support is being integrated into the build by Jason.
                         d.   Testing of Optiplex 980 as a dual mode in progress.
                         e.   Build time of the Optiplex 980 Linux is not consistent – investigating what is the
                         f.   Work on a Ubuntu Linux as a VM image- it is in beta with Ron Sass and Harish
                              Cherukuri. Steve Patterson is also testing. Tested Ubuntu Linux on Mosaic
                         g.   Printing support on Linux and dual mode systems is in progress. Duplex
                              printing option is being addressed.
                         h.   Help Files are being updated for Linux apps as new products are released or as
                              we update existing ones.
                         i.   Linux documentation from PCS/Mosaic TA Andrew Poindexter is in final stages
                              and will be used for the Mosaic web site with articles about Linux.
                       j.   Monitoring by Nagios of the /tmp space on our LXS servers.
                       k.   Several customer support issues addressed.
                       l.   Red Hat announced the release of Red Hat 6.0 (we are on 5.4) and so we begin
                            the process of determining if we can upgrade to this OS release without
                            affecting all the applications, documentation and other services we rely on from
                            Linux. Red Hat 5.5 and now 5.6 has also been announced

                       a.   Coordinating the work efforts of Andrew Stein for Shenen Chen on NCRST
                            and ISRV
                       b.   Work on COEConnect version 2 is in progress. Released to Jack, Peter S, Bob
                            Johnson, Dan Rowe, Robin Moose and a few others for internal testing. Andrew
                            V is working on the COEConnect II web interface when time permits for
                            managing the new service for remote access and for the access to licensed
                            applications form a laptop.
                       c.   Sandeep is working on the ticket system enhancements.
                       d.   Dave is scanning all the college web pages for broken links and fixing these or
                            sending reports to representatives in departments.
                       e.   Travis is working with the ACL Manager when time permits– several meetings
                            and review of the User Interface were held.
                       f.   iPeer version 2.2 (from the Univ of British Columbia) has been released. Will
                            investigate with UBC their plans for enhancements we need and if we can
                            deploy it with fixes on our system.
                       g.   Mitesh is working to develop a web interface to manage networked Mosaic
                            printers, including print quota, management of department Mosaic network
                            printers and plotters as well printer/plotter health check.
                       h.   Dave is working with some number of faculty on Wordpress.
                       i.   Joomla training will be scheduled for Jan – Feb 2011 and will cover the new
                            UNCC template.
                       j.   Andrew Stein has prototyped a flash based easy to use “Did You Know”,
                            “FAQ” and “What is”

                  a.   Testing effort completed with A. Sleiti, Chuck Price, Terry Rhodes, Jason
                       Edgecombe for a research efforts using Ansys on Computational Cluster and a high
                       end workstation to render the data. Circle back in Jan 2011
                  b.   PCS and Mosaic Competency assessment results reviewed. Gave feedback to
                       Armando and Sean. Armando and Sean to review with the TA staff and update the
                       competency assessments.
                  c.   Rodney is scheduled to work with ITS to make sure our Mosaic component for
                       logging into Netware is covered. An email conversation with ITS has started.

                 Request by ITS to replace the network racks with new ones and new gear in smith 253
                  server room. This is an ongoing project. No date for when the changeover will actually
                  occur. At this point there are no new racks or equipment from ITS in our Smith 253
                  server room. The decision has been made to use network cabinets instead of network
                  racks to prevent having to drill the floor.
                 Liebert cooling unit in Duke server room shut off by itself when cooling went down and
                  it should have stayed operational. Needs looked at.

                 Received from Jay Dominick the iPhone iOS SDK licensed for the campus. There are so
                  many implications from this program that it is not clear we want to even deal with this
                  right now.
                  The afs folder issue continues to be a wide spread problem.
                  Need to look at the Codevision C Compiler issue that fails on Mosaic windows.

Workstations and Servers:
       Terry is coordinating the deployment of the Dell systems for faculty/staff desktop. 80
           Optiplex 980 systems for faculty refresh ($50,000 funded by ITS/Provost) = $ 50,129 (partial
           order arrived; remaining shipment arrived)
       25 Mosaic Anywhere server (replace 18 old ones and add 7 to the pool) = $ 32,637
           (arrived); 3 deployed so far.
       Terry is handling the deployment of the 6 File Servers, Linux based = $ 27, 722 (arrived)

           The laptop loaner pool in PCS needs to be replenished with 4 newer laptops as the old ones
            are out of warranty and very old and slow.
           Using Google docs to track PCS projects.

        Scott Smith is requesting web cam install in Duke ME labs (funding to be from Mosaic) –
            working with Jane to determine how much we are on the hook on the loan we got from MEES
            several years back.
        Mosaic and PCS Welcome Package – something I will work on.
        Need to attend departmental faculty meetings once a semester to get more feedback from
            them on technical strategy.

               Need to test Cell Server DB outage and impact on Windows client (Terry and Rodney).
                Need most current version of AFS client [Need the most current version of AFS client on
               Large file copy in AFS needs tested (Rodney) [Need the most current version of AFS client
                on Windows on our AFS servers]
               Upgrade to latest OpenAFS client 1.5.7xxx.[ In Process]
               Rollout fix for OpenAFS client “write” performance issue. [On Hold]
               Need to figure out why AFS folders magically show up on our system.
               AFS testing with Outlook and OST files - installed latest client build [Need new client and
               Following up with Steve Mosier on Data Custodian policy.
               Mosaic Application strategy efforts:
                    Nick completed the set up on Google docs for assessing application usage. This will
                         be completed by PCS
                    Rodney needs to fix a bug in the Mosaic Tool to analyze the data.
               Lab views charts on our web - need to see if we show the LWS and MWS usage
               Monitoring the W237 Linux usage
               Looking into adding more power strips in labs (where feasible) so students can take out their
                laptops and work right on the table where the workstation is located.
               Work on the Business Continuity Plan document continues but slowly.
               probe of cx-xxx needs support (Rodney, Dave)
               Digital Signage - add labmap and virtual tour to the slide show (Jack);
               Dept of Insurance Equipment coverage needs to be addressed on our vehicles. (Terry,
               Need to get added feature to Nagios – who to call for resolving problems
               Handling of special rooms in Device DB (Help Desk, Lecture Capture)
               Web Analytics
Linux Compute server usage (LXS-ME1):

Linux X-Server usage LXS-SM1; LXS-SM2; LXS-SM3; LXS-ME2; LXS-ME3 (without the Compute

COEConnect usage
     for Jan     1-31,2010
       Total number of unique users who used COEConnect = 88
       Total number of times individuals used COEConnect = 636
        for Feb    1-28,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 91
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect    = 699
        for Mar 1-31,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 89
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect    = 692
        for April 1-30,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 82
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect    = 619
       for May      1-31,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 85
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect    = 709
       for June    1-30,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 85
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect    = 681
        for July    1-31,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 81
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect    = 473
        for August 1-31,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 83
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect    = 514
        for Sept 1-30,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 77
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect     = 599
         for Oct 1-31,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 78
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect     = 532
         for Nov 1-30,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 70
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect     = 408
         for Dec 1-31,2010
          Total number of unique users who used COEConnect     = 70
          Total number of times individuals used COEConnect     = 454

Customer Support data:
        Mosaic Incidents Tracking for the week (these are ones logged in our incident tracking system, we
        handle many other incidents that are not logged and are resolved quickly):
                Total Incidents = 7496 Open/Waiting=44 Closed=7452
                Total number of tickets created for the week: 82
                Total number of tickets closed for the week: 82
                Total number of tickets open during the week: 26
                Total number of tickets waiting: 0
Personal Computer Support:
                          WO's opened between                     07/01/08 and           01/23/11
                          Opened by Month
                              July 2008                                                      14
                                                             % Total Opened              0.88%
                              August 2008                                                    23
                                                             % Total Opened              1.44%
                              September 2008                                                 52
                                                             % Total Opened              3.26%
                              October 2008                                                   40
                                                             % Total Opened              2.51%
   November 2008                            17
                       % Total Opened   1.07%
   December 2008                            25
                       % Total Opened   1.57%
   January 2009                             36
                       % Total Opened   2.26%
   February 2009                            32
                       % Total Opened   2.01%
   March 2009                                29
                       % Total Opened   1.82%
   April 2009                               40
                       % Total Opened   2.51%
   May 2009                                  20
                       % Total Opened   1.25%
   June 2009                                19
                       % Total Opened   1.19%
   July 2009                                 20
                       % Total Opened   1.25%
   August 2009                              47
                       % Total Opened   2.95%
   September 2009                           69
                       % Total Opened   4.33%
   October 2009                             71
                       % Total Opened   4.45%
   November 2009                            67
                       % Total Opened   4.20%
   December 2009                            55
                       % Total Opened   3.45%
   January 2010                             84
                       % Total Opened   5.27%
   February 2010                            85
                       % Total Opened   5.33%
   March 2010                                78
                       % Total Opened   4.89%
   April 2010                               48
                       % Total Opened   3.01%
   May 2010                                  43
                       % Total Opened   2.70%
   June 2010                                40
                       % Total Opened   2.51%
   July 2010                                 28
                       % Total Opened   1.76%
   August 2010                              78
                       % Total Opened   4.89%
   September 2010                          130
                       % Total Opened   8.16%
   October 2010                             73
                       % Total Opened   4.58%
   November 2010                            91
                       % Total Opened   5.71%
   December 2010                            71
                       % Total Opened   4.45%
   January 2011                             69
                       % Total Opened   4.33%
                       Total Opened     1594
Last Worked by Month
July 2008                                   11
                 % Total Last Worked   0.69%
August 2008                                21
                 % Total Last Worked   1.32%
September 2008                             56
                 % Total Last Worked   3.51%
October 2008                               36
                 % Total Last Worked   2.26%
November 2008                              20
                 % Total Last Worked   1.25%
December 2008                              24
                 % Total Last Worked   1.51%
January 2009                               34
                 % Total Last Worked   2.13%
February 2009                              31
                 % Total Last Worked   1.94%
March 2009                                  31
                 % Total Last Worked   1.94%
April 2009                                 39
                 % Total Last Worked   2.45%
May 2009                                    21
                 % Total Last Worked   1.32%
June 2009                                  23
                 % Total Last Worked   1.44%
July 2009                                   18
                 % Total Last Worked   1.13%
August 2009                                38
                 % Total Last Worked   2.38%
September 2009                             76
                 % Total Last Worked   4.77%
October 2009                               66
                 % Total Last Worked   4.14%
November 2009                              63
                 % Total Last Worked   3.95%
December 2009                              62
                 % Total Last Worked   3.89%
January 2010                               76
                 % Total Last Worked   4.77%
February 2010                              90
                 % Total Last Worked   5.65%
March 2010                                  75
                 % Total Last Worked   4.71%
April 2010                                 50
                 % Total Last Worked   3.14%
May 2010                                    49
                 % Total Last Worked   3.07%
June 2010                                  41
                 % Total Last Worked   2.57%
July 2010                                   29
                 % Total Last Worked   1.82%
August 2010                                71
                 % Total Last Worked   4.45%
September 2010                            127
                 % Total Last Worked   7.97%
October 2010                               81
                 % Total Last Worked   5.08%
    November 2010                              88
                     % Total Last Worked   5.52%
    December 2010                              76
                     % Total Last Worked   4.77%
    January 2011                               71
                     % Total Last Worked   4.45%
                      Total Last Worked     1594
Closed by Month
    July 2008                                   12
                        % Total Closed     0.76%
    August 2008                                 21
                        % Total Closed     1.32%
    September 2008                             56
                        % Total Closed     3.53%
    October 2008                                34
                        % Total Closed     2.15%
    November 2008                              21
                        % Total Closed     1.32%
    December 2008                              26
                        % Total Closed     1.64%
    January 2009                               33
                        % Total Closed     2.08%
    February 2009                              30
                        % Total Closed     1.89%
    March 2009                                 32
                        % Total Closed     2.02%
    April 2009                                  39
                        % Total Closed     2.46%
    May 2009                                    21
                        % Total Closed     1.32%
    June 2009                                   22
                        % Total Closed     1.39%
    July 2009                                   18
                        % Total Closed     1.14%
    August 2009                                 37
                        % Total Closed     2.33%
    September 2009                             76
                        % Total Closed     4.79%
    October 2009                                67
                        % Total Closed     4.23%
    November 2009                              63
                        % Total Closed     3.97%
    December 2009                              62
                        % Total Closed     3.91%
    January 2010                               74
                        % Total Closed     4.67%
    February 2010                              89
                        % Total Closed     5.62%
    March 2010                                 77
                        % Total Closed     4.86%
    April 2010                                  51
                        % Total Closed     3.22%
    May 2010                                    47
                        % Total Closed     2.97%
    June 2010                                   42
                        % Total Closed     2.65%
                                July 2010                                                   29
                                                             % Total Closed            1.83%
                                August 2010                                                 70
                                                             % Total Closed            4.42%
                                September 2010                                            128
                                                             % Total Closed            8.08%
                                October 2010                                                81
                                                             % Total Closed            5.11%
                                November 2010                                              89
                                                             % Total Closed            5.62%
                                December 2010                                              75
                                                             % Total Closed            4.73%
                                January 2011                                               63
                                                             % Total Closed            3.97%
                                                             Total Closed               1585

       ·      Updates to AppDB for all new software, upgrades.
       ·      Installed license for new Intel Fortran compiler and C++ for 64 bit Linux – 2 seats. Need to
           remove older 2 seat 32 bit Fortran
       ·      AppDB work:
                • Remove Centra

        ·       Apps that have no support/maintenance:
                  • Visual Modflow
                  • OriginPro
                  • Tecplot

        ·       In limbo – no faculty sponsor
                   • Trip generation
                   • ArcPad
                   • GRL Weap
                   • FB Multipier

        ·       Linux Red Hat Support renewal

Planned Mosaic Windows Release Schedule:
           Application                   AppID                    Sysremove                      Scheduled Release
Inventor 2010                             inventor2010       inventor11                            Friday, February 18, 2011

Google Earth                                                                                       Friday, February 18, 2011

Mathmatica 8                                                                                       Friday, February 18, 2011
Algor Simulation Professional 2010      asp2010           -                                         ON HOLD
SAS                                                       -                                         ON HOLD
ArcGIS                                  arcgis10          arc83                                     ON HOLD

Respondus Locked Down Browser           respondus_ldb1    N/A                                       ON HOLD
ANSYS 12.1                              ansys12           ansys11_cfx                          ON HOLD - Bug
                                                          ansys11                                   Reported

Abaqus 6.9                              abaqus69          abaqus67                                  ON HOLD
Climate Consultant                                        -                                              RWR
RAM Structural Steel                    -                 -                                                 n/a
Rhino 4.0                               rhino4            -                                              RWR

StarCCM                                 starccm406        starccm404                        Declined by Sponsor

Microsoft Office 2010

Minitab 16                                                                                        AVAILABLE
Chemestry Add-in For Word                                                                         AVAILABLE
FB Multipier 4.14                                                                                 AVAILABLE
Matlab 2010B                                                                                      AVAILABLE
TRNSYS 17                                                                                         AVAILABLE
AutoDesk 2011                                                                                     AVAILABLE

Applications to be removed from Mosaic Windows:

For Mosaic Linux

                                            Application                 Scheduled Release
                        Agilent ADS - waiting on release from vendor              January
                        Agilent ICCAP                                             January
                        Mathematica                                              February
                        Cadence 6                                                February
                        Xilinx 12.4                                                March
                        Intel vTune                                                March
Products or Application Projects that need to be addressed:
                      a. LabView on Windows
                      b. Cygwin
                      c. Backup of all Active Directory, license, probe, and build servers.
                      d. SolidWorks 2010* on Windows
                      e. Decision Tools 5.5
                      f. Adams patch
                      g. Mathematica version updated on Linux and Windows
                      h. Netbeans Windows
                      i. Latex issue with performance needs addressed
                      j. LS-Dyna license needs installed (we are using URC)
                      k. Upgrade our AD servers and other Microsoft Server to Windows Server 2008
                          64 bit
                      l. Remove applications and volumes
                      m. Upgrade to Oracle 11 on our Unix based data base servers
                      n. Implement the 30 days expiration notice when accounts are about to expire

 * These packages are used by different departments and we should reach out at CFAC to make them aware
of the coming upgrade.

Planned vacation: Jan 19

Jason Edgecombe:
Comp Time: 8 hours

       Wrote scripting to install atrpms sound driver on 980’s
       Cleared out delete emails from coe-webmaster account
       Set up asce.uncc.edu site for asce student org. copied old files into new folder and set up a symlink
        and redirect
       Installed and configured Drobo on lws53 for Praveen’s student. Explained Linux offerings and
        answered multiple student questions while there.
       Increased Kerberos ticket lifetime for Jerry Price to one week.
       Tested Dropbox 1.01 on Linux
       Reset 3 WebHW course for Jeff Raquet
       Created three app volumes for upgraded Linux apps. (Dropbox, Mathematica, Xilinx)
       Gave a student write access to LCEC web site per Jennifer Braganza
       Migrated PCS web site to Linux web server via proxy method.
       Interviewed 8 Linux student applicants, administered and graded code and Linux tests.
       Reviewed 8 resumes for the Linux student position.

* waiting on ITS to add coe-web1 & coe-web2 to the production webserver pool – asked ITS to expedite

In Progress - Jason:
•    Make a Linux web server build with failover to replace coe-web
www.coe.uncc.edu, coe.uncc.edu, and secure.coe.uncc.edu remain to be migrated.

solaris to Linux migration dates:
nov-Dec : *done* Migrate all hostnames EXCEPT coe.uncc.edu, www.coe.uncc.edu and
secure.coe.uncc.edu to coe-web3
Jan       : Have production web servers ready with failover (coe-web1 & coe-web2)
Dec-Feb 2011: migrate sites and apps from *coe.uncc.edu to Linux

Non-web To Do list for Jason - prioritized:
* Deliver the Linux based web server solution and migrate us off the Unix web server. The Linux web
server will need monitored, be set up for load balancing.
* Provide training and documentation for the college on Linux.
* By Dec 2010, deliver a Linux based file server or servers solution into production. We will use the
period of Jan 2011 – May 2011 to verify this solution and then migrate all Unix file servers and support
systems to Linux in the summer of 2011.
* install proprietary ATI driver on Mosaic Linux
* Received openafs RPM instructions from YFS. Need to test and incorporate them into the fileserver
* port solaris back-end scripts from solaris to Linux - depends on Linux server build
* upgrade storage driver on coe-web1 & 2.
* Add Nagios Dell openmanage plugin into production.

Dave Whisler:
Out Monday – MLK Day

          Attended weekly staff meeting
         Resolved Mosaic user account issues, disk quota, etc.
          Attended Web meeting
          Extended Margaret Vanover’s special case
          Investigated ticket form issue with Howie Fang
          Extended Andrew Stein’s extra Mosaic disk quota

UNCC Template
      Converted EAO and did post-cleanup
      Converted SPART and did post-cleanup
      Converted Motorsports and did post-cleanup
      Will be converting the four Dept’s and the COE site last.
      Fixed the sizing of the upcoming event listing for all websites
      Added the “The” before William States Lee on all websites

Full web-scans of the following sites and fixed all broken links found
        COE Newsletter
        Freshman Learning Community
        Leadership Academy
         Senior Design

         Made changes for Linda Thurman to Professional Dev.
         Made changes for Jennifer B. to Global programs
         Made changes for Karina
         Made changes for Lee Ann Parker

COE Newsletter
       Made 2011 Winter issue the current issue
       Found a bad image (was in CYMK mode instead of RGB) – had Mike fix it

        Made some changes for them.

         Fixed an issue with a spreadsheet on site for Gina

        Disabled comments on Dean Johnson’s WP site and cleared his comment moderation queue

        ITS migrated QIP to a new server and upgraded the QIP app itself last week
        Working with ITS to get this issue resolved

Terry Rhodes:
•       Monday MLK Holiday
•       Built dual mode Linux box for new ECE Faculty Kailas
•       Delivered dual mode machine for Kailas to Jason
         for final Linux configuration
•       Install and build new Linux Mosaic machine in Duke 262 Lab.
         Build was not successful as proper video driver was not available in Linux.
         Brought machine back and gave to Nathan for Linux driver installation and
         configuration. Delivered machine to user to complete installation after the
         driver was installed.
•       Replaced system battery in podium computer mws291 in CARC 213 Lab
•       Configured and installed secondary Mosaic PC into Duke 210 TA work area
         per request from Scott Smith
•       Moved mws140 from Duke 389 to Duke 375 per request from Harish
•       Worked strange issue with monitor flicker in Duke 368. Problem was finally
         resolved when the monitor was replaced even though the symptoms did not
         look like a monitor problem
•       Worked issue with user unable to login to lws12 in Duke 273
•       Delivered machine for standalone use for Na Lu to PCS
•       Delivered machine for standalone use for Robin Moose to PCS
•       Registered 10 new R210 PowerEdge server for Woodward server room
         as they will replace existing older MosaicAnywhere server
•       Deliver 10 R210 servers to Woodward 242A in preparation for installation
         and configuration as MosaicAnywhere servers
•       Worked with Jerri Price and installed Mosaic PC and printer for Ivan
         Howitt into Woodward 206 office.
•        Worked with Jerri Price and installed Mosaic PC for Robert Coleman
         into Woodward 206 office
•        Relocated 4 RWS machine in Woodward server rack to make room for
         Linux AFS fileservers
•        Installed 2 R510 PowerEdge servers into Woodward server rack
•        Wired 2 Linux AFS fileserver to remote KVM in Woodward server room
•        Registered 2 PowerEdge R510 servers with ITS networking
•        Built fs-ece5 as Linux AFS fileserver
•        Working on disk configuration and layout for fs-ece5 Raid 6 disk array
•        Building volumes and mounts in AFS as requested
•        Replicated volumes as requested by Mosaic Staff
•        Working to perform normal job duties
•        Performed weekly AFS backups to tape
•        Working to reorganize storage rooms

Rodney Dyer:
week ending 1/23/11:

* Holiday Monday Jan 17th.

* Continued investigation of SolidWorks Motion issue that Ted Jarrell
  is having. Removal, reinstall, and testing.

* Discussion with Alain about GoogleEarth required for AutoCAD Civil
  3D 2008. Will have Andrew work on this update.

* Investigation of missing hydro modules from AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008.
  Alain informs me that he is unfamiliar with the modules.

* Discussion of Mathematica 8 with Jack/Travis. Will have Travis
  perform the update.

* Discussion of OpenAFS support by UNC Charlotte.

* Download, package, and test XP and Office security patches.

* Staging, Testing, Debugging work for XP Maintenance Update.

* Mosaic XP Maintenance Update release scheduling and monitoring.

* Discussion of problems with Trend Micro with Steve Stoy of ITS.
  Possible slow machines, and issues with AutoCAD 2008 install.

* Completion of work to disable Trend Micro in the Mosaic XP
  Maintenance Update.

* Long discussions of slow logon problem with Ron Smelser and Juan

* Work to diagnose and develop work-around for slow logon issue
  caused by AFS bug in the post-profile user logon script.
  Adjusted AFS ACL rights in COMSOL folder under "special users"
  menu tree as temporary fix.

* Issue with Device Database that I discussed with Dave Whisler. Dave
 is working on the issue. Blank entries where "Special Software"
 per machine should show up.

* Checkup and small fix of "Symantec Endpoint Protection" icons still
  being on the menu.

* Status report, and Tuesday staff meeting.

Armando Castaneda:
    Closed on Monday

       Close Mosaic tickets

       Meet with PCS to discuss workload

       Meet Jeff Raquet to ensure that students are able to log into their Mosaic account prior to class

       Staff meeting

       Continue to correct TA assessments

       All tickets were scrubbed and updated

       Met with Jeff Raquel again to ensure that his students were able to login

       Meeting with TA’s to discuss issues

       Bi-weekly TA project meeting

       Followed up with Amanda concerning signage for the Smith 3 rd floor room

       Followed up with Drew concerning signage for the PCS office

       Sent out lab issues/updates

       Met the CPCC IT members and toured their facilities

       Followed up with Dan Rowe concerning open issues

       Followed up with Sharon Green concerning a key for Cameron 213

       Reviewed updated and corrected assessments with Raven Hayes and William Gortney

       Met with William Gortney to discuss candidates for Mosaic positions

       Communicating with John Cashion to assist in the inventory

       Continue to address door /building access issues with students

Sean Desgraves:
Weekly report for the week of: 1/17/11
   Went to Mosaic Staff Meeting on Tuesday
   Went to the “All Hands on Deck” Meeting for Mosaic and PCS TAs on Tuesday morning
   Went to Mosaic and PCS Project meeting on Thursday
   Monitoring and working on Mosaic and PCS tickets and Work Orders
   Monitoring cameras, Live Help and Nagios
   Processing print quota requests as they come in
   Still in progress – Following up on a stolen laptop reported by Churlzu Lim; scanned the Quote
    and PO, received by Jack, and forwarded this information to ITS as proof that Absolute LoJack
    was purchased with the system, waiting to hear back from them that the laptop has reported in to
    the Absolute server; informed Churlzu of the following information:
    -     Contacted Absolute to report the issue – LoJack was purchased with laptop from Lenovo but
          it hasn’t reported to the server. I was given a case number: 7595621377.
    -     Was asked to login to the Absolute Support website with our Absolute account but since I
          personally don’t have an account, I’ve contacted Mike Carr to see if this has already been
          done for your laptop and how to proceed from here.
    -     Followed up with Steve Broadbank who informed me that the laptop has been located in their
          system; Mike Carr was contacted to create the theft report; Churlzu Lim was updated with this
    -     Provided Churlzu with an update on the following: Followed up with Mike; Absolute is still
          looking for the laptop
    -     (NEW) Waiting for an update from Mike Carr on the status of the laptop
   In Progress: Working to get a camera security system for Scott Smith in place; provided Scott
    with a preliminary cost of cameras, POE adapters and the recording PC; waiting for approval from
    Scott to move forward with purchasing these items
    -     Contacted Steve Clarke for quoting the installation of 12 cameras; he will need to be a part of
          the walk-through to give pricing
    -     Contacted Fred Leazer and Don Lattimore approval of the camera installation; Fred stopped
          by and picked up documentation on the cameras and POE adapters for approval by Don to
          have these possibly connected in the switch room and to confirm that they are capable of
          variable frame rates; waiting to hear back from them on approval – sent a follow-up email
    -     Requested and received updated quotes in preparation for getting an “OK” from Scott to
          proceed with the order
    -     Still waiting on response from Scott for the purchase of materials while coordinating with
          Steve Clark and Don Lattimore and/or Fred Leazer (waiting to hear back from Don as well)
    -     Spoke to Don Lattimore who’s informed me that he is working on a time to do a walkthrough
          of the rooms; updated Steve Clark and Sam White that a time would be coming soon –
          waiting to hear from Don as to when he and/or Fred Leazer
    -     (NEW) Sent a follow-up email to Don, Fred, Steve and Sam to coordinate a walkthrough of
          the rooms – met with Fred and Sam for the walkthrough in Duke and toured each room where
          Scott wanted to see cameras; received a quote for networking from Fred and forwarded it to
          Jack and Armando; still waiting on quote from Steve and Sam for the installation of the
          cameras; loaned Sam non-working camera and mount set for installation planning; sent out a
          follow-up email of all the rooms to Don, Fred, Steve and Sam per the walkthrough details and
          camera locations
   Still In progress: Met with Mike Carr for an introduction to BigFix; received a login and personal
    code for login (requested the same for Armando); coordinating with PCS to make sure that the
    BigFix client is installed on all loaner laptops during the next update of all loaners (this will be
    done during the next week as our call volume should decrease)
   Still In Progress: Working to complete a document on Good Laptop Practices
   Followed up with Peter Tkacik for the virus software installation locations – Ticket No. 7581
   Followed up with Sean Lough at Dell to get clarification on purchasing Dell systems through 49er
    Mart without the CFI options – received quotes for the state contracted laptops and desktops
    which have the CFI options and installation services removed (required by ITS) not needed by
    COE members; asked if these could be options and not requirements on the 49erMart website for
    purchase but Mike said it would cause more confusion for the campus as a whole
        Requested a monitor for Aravind Kailas from Rick Graley – received monitor and delivered it to
         Aravind on Friday afternoon; requested quotes for monitors from Chris Epting is case he wanted
         to purchase a 24” or 27” monitor for a dual monitor setup for his MacBook; he decided not to
         spend the extra money and was satisfied with the 19” monitor which we provided for him
        Reviewed Microsoft Entourage doc written by Andrew P. but found the document created by ITS
        Still working with PCS in an effort to reduce the number of laptop Work Order requests that came
         after the break
        Toured the computing facilities of CPCC with Jack and Armando on Friday

Andrew Verner:
Continuing COEConnect admin interface work. Finally making some progress on the Reports feature
thanks to some help from Dave.

Travis Edwards:

        Off Monday for holiday.
        Worked with Rodney to fix scripts for Autodesk Civil 2010.
        Modified scripts for Autodesk Civil 2010 patch set.
        Modified scripts for Autodesk Inventor 2010 and its patch set.
        Tested Autodesk Civil 2010, Inventor 2010, EndNote X4.
        Worked with Rodney to troubleshoot issue on MWS341.
        Worked with Rodney to stage update for this past weekend.
        Tested update.
        Scheduled and performed the update in all of the labs.

Nicholas Wale:

Met last week with ASPE for a tutorial using the student org template
Finished fixing ITS suggested changes
Adding videos to PCS and converting all VTs to flash
Fixing menus on Mosaic as last step in conversion

Mitesh Peshave:
Have not worked last week.

Roy Williams:

Work Week of January 17th~21th, 2010:
Upgraded Dropbox to 1.0.1, to maintain compatibility with the latest Dropbox protocol. Installed RHEL 6.0
on a Optiplex 745 with success, and have compiled OpenAFS 1.4.14 from the latest stable branch. I created
repositories for the RHEL 6.0 Client with its optional packages. Added repositories to the RHEL 6.0 Client
for additional packages that we may require, and created a Mosaic repository for packages we might add in
the future from third party repositories or individual packages not stored in a particular repository we are
planning to use in this release. The work to create a working boot disk is done and repeatable, and can be
used to make a working PXE Boot routine. Furthermore I have investigated the new CFEngine syntax and
looking into CFEngine 2 to 3 migration issues, that we may possibility run into. A repository for CFEngine
3 needs to be created for RHEL 6.0 so work can continue making a Mosaic RHEL 6.0 client build. There
needs to be a volume created for RHEL 6.0 Server so I may pull the packages down for it also. Consulted
Ron Sass, about the latest Xilinx and what edition we should be running, after getting feedback on
Wednesday, it wasn't clear if System Edition or some other version was equal to what we had. Then Ron
emailed me back Friday afternoon at which I finished the Xilinx 12.4 install and started copying the files
into position. It hasn't been release but should be easily ready by next week. Also to note Ron's graduate
students do not use our wrapper for Xilinx, and instead uses the command line environment to start up
Xilinx by adding paths directly to the tools they use during the synthesis process. Since they do not use the
interface to handle these actions, at all.

Off, January 17th, 2010
Off, January 18th, 2010
9:30am~12:00am, 1:30pm~5:30pm January 19th, 2010 Off, January 20th, 2010 10:00am~11:30am,
1:00pm~6:00pm, January 21st, 2010

Nathan Hatley:

   Ubuntu VM using VirtualBox as the VM engine. [IP]
        o Finalizing documentation
        o Scripts still need a little work for ‘future proofing’
        o I will update the image once Documentation is complete
   Webserver for Steve Patterson
        o Trying to find a time that Steve and I can meet
        o Production server needs to be stabilized
   Dual Monitor Dual Mode
        o Working through varying methods of achieving this; all seem to have serious issues that may
             be able to be resolved.
   Build an Optiplex 980 as Dual Mode
        o Jason is working on the audio issue
        o Investigating current printing functionality
   Windows 7
        o Need to finish up other major projects before taking this on
        o Have had a few meetings with Rodney and Roy

Fire-fighting: (<- Do you have a better name for this section?)

The Mac Pro has been registered for the Duke building, though I cannot SSH into it (it may be powered
Currently working on an issue with the yum repositories configuration script.
Resolved an issue with the Optiplex 960 not displaying properly.
Worked with Mike Hermann and Nexus to resolve a problem with the news displays.
Resolved an issue with a script for cfengine that returned multiple mac addresses when it should’ve
returned one.
Informed Richard Dudley (Ticket#7632) about running Comsol with Matlab on the compute server.
Informed Sean Desgraves about using audio over remote desktop on Mosaic Linux using rdesktop.
Informed Ron Sass about Kerberos authentication on Ubuntu on login; may use AFS as well.
Completed the move into CARC228.

Ameya Rahane
I’ve installed Mathematica and am testing it.
Working on Cadence startup scripts.
Testing ACL checker scripts

Sandeep Andre
- Completed the functionality to edit the ticket comments and updates.
- Worked on removing Spaces on comments and updates.
- Also started working on implementing multiple owner on same ticket.
Mark Plover:
I have finished completed the bug fix to MRS in the broken link in the cancellation e-mails that are sent to

I have also begun work on the SPMS Access Control. This includes the pages under the Admin menu and
controlling user access to pages based on their access level. To do this, a change had to be made to a
database table. This table now holds a 1, 2, or 3 which determines a user's access level of viewer, admin,
and super admin respectively. Different pages have different access levels. These access levels are set in
each page by a function that is executed near the start of the page. This function then takes the user's access
level and displays an error if the user does not have the proper permissions.
Under the Admin menu, I have completed the Add User and Edit User pages. These are available for use
and testing. In the week to come, I intend to have the Remove User page done and begin work on the
Project Menu.

Andrew Stein (working on NCRST project)

 1.   Performed assessment of Michigan NCRST website. My recommendations for our NCRST website
      were –

          o    I like their flowchart for how the Decision Support System works: wonder if we can make an
               equivalent flowchart for something you are doing?

          o    I like how they have a project schedule defined and a graphic to show how everything will
               progress. We could easily set up a Google Calendar for you so you could input events /
               milestones, or we could make a graphic like below [see #2 below for followup on this]
          o    In general, they use tons of graphics to visualize things: see
                   Visuals are important as attention spans are decreasing nowadays and visuals are needed
                   to capture people’s attention. Do we have access to a graphic designer student who can
                   do this for us? I would personally not be great at making such graphics.

          o    I like how their have a page that outlines their tasks and the specific deliverables they are
               promising: http://www.mtri.org/bridgecondition/Tasks_and_Deliverables.html ... do we have
               the information to set something like this up? Can you draft a Word document mimicking
               this sort of thing? I can put anything you draft in Word on the Web – keep that in mind.

              The keys are -

              •      Graphics – flowcharts, diagrams, calendars – do we have a graphic design student who
         can help us with this?
              •      Calendar outlining how the project will progress – I can set up a Google Calendar for
              •      A tasks and deliverables page that outlines what the project was tasked with and what it
         is going to deliver.

               TODO: Need to decide what other ideas we want to implement from the Michigan website

 2.   Created an interactive Flash page for the project timeline – at Jack’s suggestion. I am waiting on Dr.
      Chen to create text paragraphs for each of the items in this application.
           See work here: http://coe.uncc.edu/beta/ncrst/custom_code/test.html
               TODO: Need paragraphs of text and / or images from Dr. Chen to put into each of the speech
                bubbles in this Flash application.
 3.   Updated Resources page-
            Converted a Word document of the latest list of NCRST @ UNCC research papers that Dr.
                Chen sent me to web format. See http://ncrst.uncc.edu/resources.html
                Found links to the research papers on Google (as many as I could find / that are currently
            Added statement at the top of the page to the effect, "This project is supported by grant
                number DTOS59-07-H-0005 from the United States Department of Transportation ..."
 4.   Put link to http://www.profsurv.com/magazine/article.aspx?i=70766 in News section - at the request
      of Dr. Chen
 5.   Fixed new template to redirect user to Mobile NCRST when a mobile device is detected – this
      redirection had disappeared once we converted to the new campus template.
 6.   Continued work on migrating the website to the campus-wide template.
            Centered the top navigation menu, it was pushed too far to the left (Jack’s request)
            Centered the text inside each of the menu items in the top navigation menu (Jack’s request)
            TODO: Left navigation menu text bolding is inconsistent. Waiting on Nicholas Wale to
                followup on a fix for the left navigation menu.

Jack M. Stein
Assistant Dean and Director of Engineering Computing

William States Lee College of Engineering
University of North Carolina at Charlotte

224 Cameron Research Center
9201 University City Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28223
412-848-6534 (cell)
704-507-1916 (Nextel)
704-687-2352 (fax)

To top