ARNON SOFFER - VITAE
18 Boaz St. Department of Geography
Haifa, Israel 34407 University of Haifa
Phone (972 4) 8389773 Mt. Carmel, Haifa 31999, Israel
Fax (9724)8379748 Phone (972 4) 8240666
Fax (972 4) 8246814
1972 Post-Doctoral studies, London School of Economics: Quantitative
methods, Research on industrial parks in England.
1966-1971 Ph.D.: Urban-Economic Geography, Department of Geography,
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel. Dissertation topic:
"Industrial Location in Haifa Bay Area".
1961-1963 M.A.: Human Geography, Department of Geography, Hebrew
University of Jerusalem, Israel.
Thesis topic: "The Vineyeard and the Wine Industry in Israel".
1958-1960 B.A.: Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.
Majors: Geography, Jewish History, High School Teaching
2000/1 Universisty of Haifa, National Defence College.
2000-1996 Univ. of Haifa, National Defence College. Israeli Police Academy
1997 Visiting Lectures: National Defence Univ. Washi., Military
Academy - West Point.
1995 Summer, 1996 Visiting Prof. Portland State University (Fulbright Grant.)
Invited Lectures: Univ of Oregon, Oregon State Univ, Willamette
college, Univ of Utah.
1994 Summer, Visiting Prof. Portland State University.
1993 Feb. Visiting Prof. Univ. of Utah, S.L.C.
1991/1995 University of Haifa, National Defence College, Israeli Police
1990/1991 Visiting Professor, Department of Geography,
School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.
1988- Full Professor, University of Haifa.
National Defence College (academic advisor), Israeli Police
Academy for Senior Command and Staff Officers.
1985-88 Associate Professor, University of Haifa, Hebrew University of
Jerusalem, National Defence College.
1984-1993 Lectures in the Military Academy West Point, N.Y.
1983-84 Visiting Professor, Department of Geography, University of Utah,
Portland State University, Oregon.
1982-83 Associate Professor, Department of Geography, University of Haifa,
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, the National Defence College.
1981-82 Senior Lecturer, Department of Geography, University of Haifa,
National Defence College.
1979-80 Visiting Professor, Department of Geography, University of Utah,
Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
1974-79 Senior Lecturer, Department of Geography, University of Haifa,
1971;1973 Lecturer, Army Command and Staff College.
1973 Lecturer, Humanistic Studies, Technion, Israel
Institute of Technology.
1972-74 Lecturer, Department of Geography, University of Haifa, Israel.
1972 Lecturer, Department of Extra-Mural Studies, University of London.
1970 Lecturer, Department of Geography, University of
Beersheva. Army Command and Staff College.
1967-71 Instructor, Department of Geography, University of Haifa, Israel.
1964-67 Assist., Department of Geography, University of Haifa.
3. ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE
2000-1998 Head of Chair - Geostrategy, Univ. of Haifa, Vice Chairman of the
1999-1996 National Security Studies Center, Univ. of Haifa.
Chairman of Ph.D. Committee, Dep. Of Geography, University of
1993-1995 Member, Military Delegation to the peace process
1991-94 University Appointing Committee
Member of the Executive committee of the Univ. of Haifa
1988-90 Academic Advisor, National Defence College.
1986-89 Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Mathematics, University
1984-86 Chairman of the Jewish-Arab Center and the Institute of Middle
Eastern Studies at the University of Haifa.
Member of the Executive Committee of the University.
University Appointing Committee.
1982-83 Chairman of the Jewish-Arab Center and the Institute of Middle
Eastern Studies at the University of Haifa.
1973-82 University of Haifa, Member of: Senate, Standing Committee of the
School of Education, Faculty Appointing Committee, Faculty
Research Committee, Board of the Maritime Center.
Executive Member: The Jewish-Arab Center, The Institute of
1970-73 Chairman of Department of Geography, University of Haifa
1967-70 Acting chairman of the Department of Geography, Universsity of
4. PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
Association of American Geographers, member
Israel Geographical Society, member
Israel Exploration Society, member
Israel Oriental Society, member
Israeli Association for Environmental Planning, member
Israeli Association for Landscape Ecology, member.
International Water Resources Association.
1976-78 Editor, Horizons.
Vice President of the Israeli Geographical Society
1985-89 Member, Mountain Geoecology Commission of the Inter- national
1987-95 Member, editorial board of Atlas of Israel for youth.
1995- Associate Editor, Water International (IRWA.)
Referee for: Annals of Asso. of Ame. Geographers
The Professional Geographers
Mountain Research and Development
Studies in Geography
Studies in Education
Political Geography Quarterly
City and Region
State, Government and International
1964-61 High School teacher.
1967-2000 Consulting and Planning for the Ministries of Interior, of Industry, of
Housing, of Energy, of Prime Minister, of Police, of Defence, of
Education, Foreign Ministry and Municipalities, private companies.
5. PRESENTATIONS IN ACADEMIC CONFERENCES
"Handicaps d'une Cooperation Regionale", Conference on Rural Communities -
Intercooperation and Development, University of Haifa, 1973.
"Haifa Past and Present", Annual meeting of the Israel Exploration Society, Haifa,
"Urbanization of the Arab Villages and the Need for a Planning Re-assessment,"
4th World Congress of Engineers and Architects, Israel, 1976.
"Spontaneous Urbanization in Non-Jewish Villages in Northern Israel," (with Y.
Bar-Gal), Joint French-Israeli Colloquium on Contemporary Urbanization,
"The Metropolis of Nazareth - a New Urban Model in Northern Israel," Annual
Meeting of the AAG, 1978, New Orleans.
"The Mormon Region and Israel - a Geographical Comparison," Annual Meeting
of the AAG, 1980, Louisville, Kentucky.
"Mountain Geography - Back to the Regional Approach," Annual Meeting of the
A.P.C.G., Reno, 1980.
"Military Landscape," Annual Meeting of the AAG, 1982, Denver, Colorado
"Man Made Altitudinal Belts in the Mountains of the Wasatch, the Results of Plain
Mountain Interactions," The Geographical Society of Utah, (Nov.) 1983.
"The Gap Between Geographical Realities and National Policy," Annual Meeting
of the AAG, 1984, Washington D.C.
"Man Made Altitudinal Belts in the Mountains of the Developed World as Results
of Plain Mountain Interactions." 25th International Geographical Congress, Alpes,
"The Strategy of Jewish Settlement in Israel" Dispersion and Concentration in
Israel - The Impact on Social and Regional Policy, Ben-Gurion University, 1985.
"The Arabs of Israel, from Village to Metropolis, What Next?", The Israeli
Oriental Society, Givat Haviva, 1986.
"A note on the Demography of Arab Settlements in the Coastal Plain of
Palestine," A Colloquium on Palestine 1840-1948: Population and immigration,
"The Security Landscape - Ecology and Management, The Case of Israel," The 3rd
International Conference: Environmental Quality and Ecosystem Stability,
"Environment in Transition - The Galilee Mountains," International Association.
for the Study of People and their Physical Surroundings, Haifa, 1986.
"Recent Development in the Israeli Mountains - A Geoecological Analysis,"
Regional Conference on Mediterranean Countries (IGU), Mountain Geoecology
Commission, Jaca (Spain), 1986.
"The Phenomenon of the Megalopolis in the Mediterranean Eastern Coast,"
Regional Conference on Mediterranean Countries (IGU) Barcelona, 1986.
"The Development of National Blocks - A New Map of Eretz Israel," Annual
Meeting of the Israel Geographical Society, Tel Aviv, 1986.
"Historical Memory as a Factor in Shaping Borders," Annual Meeting of the AAG,
1987, Portland. "Islamic and Jewish Fundamentalism in Israel: Reasons Processes,
Results," Religion and Environment, Eichstatt, Germany, May 1988.
"Reading Peace Signs as an Intelligence Dilemma: The Israeli Borders," War,
Peace and Geography, Haifa, January 1989.
"The Significance of Demographic Change in Eretz-Israel", Wilton Park
Conference, Nov. 1989.
"Terrorist Activities and the Landscape" Annual Meeting of the AAG, 1990,
"Terrorist Activities and the Reactive Landscape", Applied Geography Meeting
AAG, October 1991, Chazlotte, N. Carolina.
"Post-war Middle East", Political Geography Meeting, Tallahasse, AAG, April
"Litani River - Reality, Plans and Myth", Annual Meeting of the AAG, April 1991,
"The Water Resources of Jordan Catchment: Management Options", Brismis,
London, July 1991.
"Sinai: The Continental Bridge between Africa and Asia: Recent Development,
Plans and Impact", Brismis, London, July 1991.
"Scarcity of Water and its Geopolitical Implications", The Hebrew University,
Shasha Seminar, Nov. 1991, Jerusalem.
"Demographic Aspects of Return in Eretz Israel", Dutch Academic Ass. for
Peace in the Middle East, 26 Feb. 1992, Amsterdam.
"State, Nation and Water in the M.E.", The Hebrew Univ. Shasha Seminar -
Nation State and Nationalism in the M.E., Jerusalem, Nov. 1992.
"Johnston Plan and what next?", Water in the M.E. Legal, Political and
Commercial implications, S.O.A.S, Univ. of London, London, Nov. 1992.
"The Relevance of Johnston Plan to the Reality of 1993 and beyond", The First
Israeli-Palestinian international Academic Conference on Water, Zurich, Swiss,
"Water Sharing Issues in the M.E. An Over View", Workshop on Economic
Solution to Water Sharing Issues in the M.E., Kfar blum, Dec. 1992.
"Geographical Development in the Gulf of Eilat and the future of the city", The
Annual Meeting of the Israeli Geographical Society, Beer-Sheva, Dec. 1992.
"Israel's Arab as a Political community in Formation", Panel, The Israeli Arabs'
Future, Jerusalem - Truman Insti., Hebrew University, May-June, 1993.
"Erasing the German-German Border of 1989-1973", The Annual Meeting of the
Israeli Geographical Society, Bar-Ilan Univ., Dec. 1993.
"Thickening the Jewish Settlement Network in the Region of the Western Mount
Equifer", Judea and Samaria Research Studies, The 4th Annual Meeting, March
"Form of Coexistence and Transborder Cooperation in a Hostile Area - the Israeli
Case", political Boundaries and Coexistence Conference, Basel, May 1994.
"The Impact of Peace on the Eilat-Aqaba Gulf", Neutrino, The International
Conference on Neutrino Physics and Astrophysisc, Eilat June 1994
"The Dynamics of the Demographic element in the Outbreak of the Intifada and in
Laying the Groundwork for the Peace process", The PLO and Israel, The Truman
Institute, Hebrew University, May 1994.
"Conversion of Former Military Sites: The Dynamics of Erasing the German-
German Border of 1989-1993", Geographical International congress, Praha 1994.
Disscusant, Middle East Studying Association, Washington D.C.
7-10 dec. 1995.
“Israel / Syria water issues” Indiana univ. international conferences “Water: A
Trigger for Conflict, A Reason for Cooperation” 7-10 March 1996.
“Israel as a Mirror to changes in Former USSR” Conference;
Columbia So.Carolina, 5-8 April 1996.
‘Geography and the peace process’ ; a disscusant on “The Water in the Middle
East peace process”, Assoc. of American Geographers Annual Meeting Charlotte,
North Carolina 9-12 April 1996.
"Corridors Between Judea and Gaza - Implications", Judea and Samaria Research
Studies Ariel Feb. 1997.
"Environment and National Security - The Case of the Jordan River", Asso. Of
Amer. Geographers, Annual Meeting, Fort Worth, Texas, 1-5 April 1997.
"Natural Resources in the Middle East", Halki International Seminar, Halki,
Greece, 11-16 Sept. 1997.
“The Water Issue as a Factor in the Israeli-Syrian Peace Talks”, Truman
Institution, Hebrew University in Jerusalem, 22.12.97.
“From Conflict Resolution to Peace: Implementing the Israeli-Palestinian Peace
Process”, Geopolitics and Globalization in a Post Modern World, Haifa-Beer
Sheba, Jan. 25-31, 1998.
“The Option of Separation Between Jews and Arabs in Palestine does not Exist
any More”, Judea and Samaria Research Studies, Ariel, Feb. 1998.
“What is a region? The Mediterraneaan as a Region”, Haifa, University of
“The collapse of the Israeli infrastructure”, Grand strategy for Israel, Bar-Ilan
*”Envionmental Quality and National Ssecurity”, The 7th International
Conference of the Israel Society for Ecology and Environmental Quality,
Jerusalem, June 13-18, 1999.
*”Regionalism and the Mediterranean Basin: Old and New Regionall Dilemas”,
Ankara-Haifa Universities Meeting, Antalya, 11-14 Oct. 1999.
*”The Regional Geography – fifty years of strugglings, The Annual Meeting of
the Israel: Geographical Society, Haifa, 5-6.12.1999.
*”The Water Agreement between Israel and the Kingdom of Jordan: Lessons
Learned, Xth World Water Congress, Melbourne, 12-17 March 2000.
*”Israel Border Urban Development – Implications for Israel’s defence concept”,
Urban Warfare II, London, 6-7 Nov. 2000.
Ph.D. Thesis: The Location of Industries in The Haifa Bay Area, Submitted to
the Senate of the Hebrew University, 1971.
1. Soffer A., Kipnis B. (eds.), Atlas of Haifa and Mt. Carmel,
Haifa 1980, 110 pp. (Hebrew and English)
2. Soffer A. Changes in the Geography of the Middle East, Tel Aviv: Am
Oved, 1980, 267 pp. (Hebrew). New Edition, 1992, 328 pp. (Hebrew).
2a. Geography of the Middle East, Tel Aviv, Am Oved, 1988, (in
2b. Changes in the Geography of the Middle East, Tel Aviv, Am Oved, 1992
3. Shmueli A., Soffer A., Kliot N. (eds.), Lands of Galilee, 2 Vols.,
University of Haifa, Ministry of Defence Publications, 1983, 879 pp.
4. Soffer A., Finkel R. The Lookouts in the Galilee - Aims, Results and
Lessons, Rehovot, The Center of Settlement Research, 1988, 136 pp.
5. Soffer A., Rivers of Fire - The Conflict of Water in the Middle East, Am-
Oved 1992, 258 pp. (Hebrew).
6. The New Atlas of Israel, (Editorial member), The Center of Mapping
Israel and the Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem, 1995.
7. Soffer A. Rivers of Fire, Boulder: Rowman and Littlefield, 1999.
8. Avidor G. and A. Soffer, The urbanization processes around the borders
of Israel and the implications on the Israeli defence doctrine, Tel Aviv:
Joffe Center, The Strategic Study Center. (1999)
9. Soffer A. and T. Yaar-Weissel (1999). Erased Borders: The Dynamics of
Their Disappearance from the Landscape, Haifa: University of Haifa.
10. Soffer A. and D. Gross, Changes in the Geography of the Middle East –
Toward the 21 Century, Tel-Aviv: Am Oved, 2000.
1. Soffer A. The Vine and Wine Industry of Israel, Tel-Aviv, Horviz Foundation,
1967, 45 pp. (Hebrew).
2. Soffer A., Yedaya M. (eds.), Northern Coastal Plain - Research in Geography,
Haifa: Bemaaravo shel Galilee, 1974, 111 pp. (Hebrew).
3. Bar Gal Y., Soffer A. Changes in Minority Villages in Israel, Horizons, 2,
1976, 77 pp. (Hebrew).
4. Bar Gal Y. Soffer A. Geographical Changes in the Traditional Arab Villages in
Northern Israel, Centre for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies, University
of Durham, 1981, 88 pp.
5. Shmueli A., Shnell Y., Soffer A. The Little Triangle: Transformation of a
Region, Monograph series on the Middle East, No. 3, Haifa, 1985, 122 pp.
6. Soffer A. (ed.), Residential and Internal Migration Patterns among the Arabs of
Israel, Haifa, 1986, 64 pp. (Hebrew).
7. Enden, E., Soffer A. A Model of New Neighborhoods in Arab Villages in
Northern Israel, Monogeography, 4, Haifa, 1986, 118 pp. (Hebrew).
8. Soffer A. (ed.), Twenty Years Since the Six-Day War, occassional papers on the
Middle East (New Series) No. 7, 1988, Haifa, 122 pp. (Hebrew).
9. Soffer A., On the Demographic and Geographic Situation in Erez Israel, 1988,
62 pp. Haifa, Gestelit.
10. Copaken N.S. and A.Soffer 1996, The Perception of Water as part of Territory
Israeli and Arab ideologies Between 1964 and 1993: Toward A Further
understanding of The Arab - Jewish conflict, The Jewish - Arab center, univ of
Haifa, Working page no.8.
11. Gross Dalit and A. Soffer, International Groundwater and International Rules:
The Case of the Middle East, Haifa, Univ. of Haifa 1996.
Chapters in Books
1. Soffer A. "Industry in Haifa - hope, reality and prediction," in S. Weiss (ed.,)
Haifa - Troubling Reality and Challenge, Haifa: Renaissance, 1973, pp. 130-
2. Bar Gal Y., Soffer A. "Urban elements in non-Jewish villages in the north of
Israel," in Amiran, D.H.K. and Y. Ben Arieh (eds.), Geography in Israel,
Jerusalem, The Israel National Committee, IGU, 1976, pp. 275-296.
3. Soffer A. "Israel's wars and the topography of Sinai," in Cohen, A. and G.
Karmon (eds.), The Wake of the Yom Kippur War, Haifa, 1976, pp.
4. Soffer A., Shemueli A. "Tefen - Industrial estate and settlement - background,
struggle and results," in Landscapes in Western Galilee, Yedaya, M. and A.
Shemueli (eds.), Tel Aviv: Bemaaravo shel Galilee, 1977, pp. 61-72.
5. Soffer A., Bar Gal Y. "Spontaneous Urbanization in Non-Jewish
Settlement in Northern Israel," in Beaujeu Garneir et S. Reichman (eds.),
Urbanization Contemporarie et Justice Sociale, Conseil National pour la
Recherche et le Developpement (CNRO), Jerusalem 1979, pp. 263-276.
6. Soffer A. "The Negev as a geographical unit," in Shemueli, A. & Gradus, Y.
(eds.), The Negev, University of Tel Aviv, and Ben Gurion University, Tel
Aviv, 1980, pp. 2-8 (Hebrew).
7. Soffer A. "New Approaches in the Study of Geography towards Imparting
National Values," Shahar, A. (ed.), Subject Matter in Geography, Jerusalem,
1982, pp. 52-60. (Hebrew).
8. Soffer A. "The Changing Situation of Minority and Majority and Its Spatial
Expression - The Israeli Example," in N. Kliot and S. Watterman (eds.), People,
Territory and State Pluralism in Political Geography, London: Croom-Helm
Publishers, 1983, pp. 80-99.
9. Soffer A. "The Arabs of North Israel - from the defeat of 1948 to the success of
1970," in A. Shmueli, A. Soffer, N. Kliot (eds.), Lands of Galilee, Haifa:
Ministry of Defence Publication, 1983, pp. 763-786 (Hebrew). (Based Article
10. Soffer A. "Development of the Galilee and preserve of its landscape," The Lands
of Galilee, Haifa, 1983, pp. 649-662 (Hebrew). (Based on Article 13).
11. Soffer A. "Geography and National Security," in Z. Offer and Kober A. (eds.),
Quality and Quantity in Military Build-up Tel Aviv: Maarachot, 1985, pp. 321-
12. Soffer A., Kipnis B. "Haifa - Urban Geography," Sheet No. 21, Atlas of Israel
Tel-Aviv, (New Edition), (Hebrew and English), 1986.
13. Shmueli A., Schnell Y., Soffer A. "Changes in Residential Patterns in the
Settlements of the Little Triangle 1949- 1980," in Soffer A. (ed.), Residential
and Internal Migration Patterns Among the Arabs of Israel, Monograph Series
on the Middle East, No. 4, Haifa, 1985, pp. 13-32. (Hebrew).
14. Soffer A. "Israel and Erez-Israel - A Geographical Per spective," in A. Doron
(ed.) Israel and Erez-Israel, Beit Berel, 1988, pp. 1-38, (Hebrew).
15. Soffer A. "Demography and Geography" in Yaniv A., M. Maoz, A. Kober
(eds.) Syria and Israel's National Security, Ministry of Defense, Israel 1991,
16. Soffer A. "Jordan: Looking Toward the 90's - Location, Metropolins, Water, in
Nevo, Y. and I. Pepe (eds.) Jordan in the Middle East: 1948-1988 The
Making of a Pivotal State, Frnak Cass, London, 1994, pp.26-44.
17. Soffer A. "The Relevance of Johnston Plan to the Reality of 1993 and
Beyond", in Shuval H.I. (ed.) Israel-Palestine Water, Amsterdam: Elsevier.
18. Soffer A. "The Israeli Druze - Geographical Prespectives" in N. Dana (ed.)
The Israeli Druze, Bar Ilan Univ. 1998, pp. 187-202.
19. Soffer A. "Israel in the 'Era' of Peace and New Middle East - Between Reality
and Dreams" in Schachar A. and Hinberger Y. (Eds.) Geography of Peace,
Jerusalem: Ministry of Education, 1996, pp.60-70.
20. Soffer A. “The Peace Talks between Israel and the Palestinians: A Lesson in
Political Geography” in Y. Gradus and G. Lipshitz (eds) The Mosaic of Israeli
Geography, Ben Gurion univ. of the Negev press, 1996, pp 297-306.
*21. Soffer A. “Israel-2020 – Demographic Perspectives and Ecological and
Political Implications”, in Aharoni M.S. (eds.), Israel 2000, Kefar Saba:
Miksam 2000, pp.64-66.
*22. Soffer A. “The Process of Suburbanization of Israel: Americanization in the
wrong place”, in G. Barkay and E. Schiller (eds.), Landscapes of Israel –
Azaria Alon’s Jubilee Volume, 2000, Jerusalem: Ariel Publ., pp.90-94.
*23. Soffer A. “A Palestinian State: The Geographic Aspect”, in A. Stav (ed.), A
Palestinian State, (in press).
Articles in Refereed Journals
1. Soffer A. "Hadicaps d'une Cooperation Regionale," Archives Internationales de
Sociologie de la Cooperation et du Developpement, 34, 1973, pp. 101-115.
2. Soffer A. "The Foundation of Industrial Towns Close to the Green Line,"
Ir veEzor, 1, No. 2, 1973, p. 87 (Hebrew).
3. Soffer A. "The Chemical Industry in the Haifa Area: Factors of Location and
Reciprocal Influences," Horizons, 1, 1975, pp. 41-58, (Hebrew).
4. Soffer A. "Regional Industrial Estates in Israel," Town and Country Planning,
Vol. 46, No. 6, June 1975, pp. 311-313.
5. Soffer A. "Distribution of Industry in the Haifa Bay Area," Studies in the
Geography of Israel, 9, 1976, pp. 136-155 (Hebrew).
6. Soffer A. "Geographical Factors in the Israel-Arab Dispute," Middle East
Research Institute, 4, Haifa, 1976 pp. 1-14 (Hebrew).
7. Soffer A. "The 'Double Column' Plan - A Geographical-Human Aspect,"
Horizons, 3, Haifa, 1977, pp. 57-70 (Hebrew).
8. Soffer A. "Reevaluation of the geographical curriculum," Studies in Education,
22, 1979, pp. 97-106.
9. Noeman H., Soffer A. "The Geography of Egypt, Curriculum Worked According
to Study-Center System," Studies in Education 22, 1979, pp. 106-120.
10. Soffer A., Bar Gal Y. "Comments on the Paper 'Trends in the Minority
Population of Galilee and Their Implications in Planning'," Ir veEzor, 4, 1979,
11. Soffer A. "Conflict in the Holy Land - Comments," Geographical Perspective,
46, 1980, pp. 68-75.
12. Soffer A., Fischer A. "Real and Imagined Similarities between Utah and the
Holy Land," Ancyclia, 57, 1980, pp. 106-128.
13. Soffer A. "Populating Israel's Mountains While Preserving Their Environmental
Quality," Environmental Conservation, 8, No. 2, 1981, pp. 151-158.
14. Soffer A. "The Wars of Israel in Sinai: The Physical Element
Conquered," Military Review, Vol. LXIII, No. 4, 1982, pp.60-72.
14a Reprinted in: Readings in Military Geography, (eds.), J.B. Garver and G.E.
Galloway, West Point, N.Y., United States Military Academy, 1984, pp. 196-
15. Soffer A. "Mountain Geography - Back to the Regional Approach" Mountain
Research and Development, Vol. 2, No. 4, 1982, pp. 391-398.
16. Soffer A. "Illusion as a Factor in Determining Policy in the Development of a
Port: The Case of Haifa," Maritime Policy and Management, Vol. 9, 1982, pp.
17. Soffer A. "Geographical Aspects of Changes Within the Arab Community
of Northern Israel," The Middle Eastern Studies, Vol. 19, No. 2, 1983, pp.
18. Soffer A. "New Solutions to the Settlement Processes in the Mountainous
Galilee," Horizons, Vol. 6, 1983, pp. 49-54. (Hebrew).
19. Soffer A. "Lebanon - Basic Outline," in Lebanon: War and Re-
construction, Occasional Papers on the Middle East, No. 4,
University of Haifa, 1983, pp. 7-12 (Hebrew).
20. Soffer A. "Asian Geographic Research and Teaching in Israel,"
Bulletin of Asian Geography, Vol. 8, No. 2, 1983.
21. Soffer A., Minghi J. "Israel's Security Landscapes: The Impact of Military
Considerations on Land Uses," The Professional Geographer, Vol. 38, 1986,
22. Soffer A., Stern S. "The Model of the Middle Eastern Port City," Studies in the
Geography of Israel, Vol. 12, 1985, pp. 206-215. (Hebrew).
23. Soffer A., Bar Gal Y. "Planned Sedentarization of Beduin in Israel - a
Response," Geoforum, Vol. 16, 1986, pp. 423-428.
24. Soffer A. "Lebanon Where Demograhy is the Core of Politics and Life,"
Middle Eastern Studies, Vol. 22, 1986, pp. 197-205.
25. Soffer A. "Man-made Altitudinal Belts in the Mountains - The Result of Plain-
Mountain Interaction," Mountain Research and Development, Vol. 6, 1986, pp.
26. Soffer A. "The Settlement Process of the Mormon in Utah and
the Jews in Israel," Comparative Social Research, Vol. 9,
1986, pp. 197-230.
27. Soffer A. "The Territorial Struggle Between Jews and Arabs in
Erez Israel," in Horizons, 17-18, 1986, pp. 7-24, (Hebrew)
28. Kliot N., Soffer A. "The Emergence of a Metropolitan Core Area in a New State:
The Case of Jordan," Asian and African Studies, Vol. 20, 2, 1986, pp. 217-232.
29. Jackson R.G. and Soffer A. "Irrigation in Sub-Humid Environments: A
Comparison of three Cultures," Geoforum, 17, 3, pp.383-401, 1986.
30. Soffer A., Dreams and Reality in Israeli Industry - 2 Case Studies in Haifa
Region - Annual of Museum Haaretz, Tel Aviv, 1986-7, pp. 275-282,
31. Soffer A., The phenomenon of the Megalopolis in the Mediterranean Eastern
Coast, Geography, Vol.73, 1988, pp. 141-143.
32. Soffer A., "From Village to a Metropolis, and What Next?" The New-East
(Hamizrah-HeHadash) (125-128) 1989, pp. 97-105.
33. Soffer A., "The Port City - a Sub Group of the Middle Eastern City Model,"
Ekistics. 316-317, 1987, pp. 102-110. (An extention of Article 22).
34. Soffer A., "Population Projecitons in the Land of Israel," Middle East Review,
20, 4, 1988, pp. 43-49.
35. Soffer A., "Development in the Israeli Mountains - A Geoecological Analysis,"
Pirineos, No. 129, 1987, pp. 79-97.
36. Soffer A.,and Finkel R., "The Lookouts in the Galilee - First Evaluations," in D.
Swartz, R. Bar-El (eds.), problems in Regional Development, 1988, Rehovot,
37. Soffer A., "Demography in Eretz Israel: 1988 and the year 2000," Jerusalem
Quarterly 51, Summer 1989, pp. 115-144.
38. Soffer A., "Jewish and Islamic Fundamentalism in Israel: Reasons, Processes
and Results," Geographia Religionum 13 and 7, 1989, pp. 155-174.
39. Soffer A., "Wind Energy Farms in the Israeli Mountains - Environmental
Impact and Locational Considerations," Pirineos, 1989, No. 134, pp.75-90.
40. Soffer A., "Demography and the Shaping of Israel's Borders," Contemporary
Jewry, Vol. 10, No. 2 (1989), pp. 91-105.
40a. Reprint in Ian Lustick (ed) (1994) Economic Legal and Demographic
Dimentions of Arab Israeli Relations, N.Y. Gerland, pp 289-305
41. "Israeli 'Judaization' Policy in Galilee and its Impact on Local Arab
Urbanization - A Response," Political Geography-Quarterly. Vol.10, No.3,
August 1991, pp. 282-285.
42. Blumen, O. and A. Soffer, 1991, "The Laborshed of Haifa Metropolitan Area,
Horizons in Geography, no. 32, 1991, pp.39-54.
43. Soffer, A. "Use of the Integrative Methodology in Studies of the Israeli-Arab
Population", The Pennsylvania Geographer, Vol. 24,1 Spring/Summer 1991,
43a. Soffer, A. "The Israeli Arabs Forward Autonomy:The Case of the Arab Galilee
sub-system Region, Studies in Geography, Jerusalem, Vol. 13, 1993, pp. 198-
44. Avnimelech M., Soffer A. and M. Hop, Locating an Inter-Urban Industrial Zone
in the North Western negev: Opinion and Discussion, Horizons in Geography,
Vo.39, 1994, pp.59-78.
45. Soffer A. "The Distribution of Interurban Industrial Estates", Horizins in
Geography, Vol.39, 1994, pp.14-20.
46. Soffer A. "The Litani River - Fact and Fiction", Middle Eastern Studies.Vol. 30,
No. 4, 1994. pp. 963-974.
47. Soffer A. “Territoriality, Nation and State or what is amiss with Basic
Perception of the Jews of Israel?” Liuny – Mishpat, Tel Aviv Univ., Sep. 1997.
48. Soffer A. “The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict over Water Resources, Paalestine-
Israel Journal, Vol.V, No.1, 1998, pp.43-53.
49. Soffer A. “Territorialism, Nation and State”, Law Review, Vol.21, No.3, 1998,
50. Soffer A. “The Future Battlefield in the Middle East”, Ma’arachot, 368, 1999,
51. Soffer A. “Environmental Quality and National Security”, Water Science and
Technology, 42(1-2), 2000.
1. "The Geography of Warfare" O'Sullivan and Miller, The Professional
Geographer, Vol. 37, 1985, pp. 127-1281.
2. "Geography of Lebanon," Horizons, No. 14, 1984, pp. 97-100.
3. "The Best Investment," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Vol. 8, 2,
1985, pp. 153-154.
4. "The Rural Geographic Environment of the Syrian Coastal Region and the
Shizuoka Region," A. Abdulsalam, The New East, in print.
5. "The Middle East: A Geographical Study 1988", The Professional Geographer,
vol. 4, No. 2, 1989, pp. 236-7.
6. The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the Middle East and North Africa, 1988, The
Professional Geographer, vol. 41, No. 4, 1989, pp. 514-515.
7. Arabs and Jews In Israel, Vol. 1, Conflicting and Shared Attitudes in a Divided
Society, by S. Smooha, Contemporary Sociology, (Nov. 1990, pp. 817-819).
1. "Geographical factors in the decline of Haifa," Proceedings of the Israel
Geographical Society, Annual Meeting, Haifa 1973 (Hebrew).
2. "Supply of land for industry as a new factor in the dispersal of population,"
Proceedings of the Israel Geographical Society, Annual Meeting, Tel Aviv,
3. "Regional Geography - its characteristics and Israel," Symposium on Regional
Geography, Haifa, 1975, pp. 3-5.
4. "Cyprus: a new urban map," Proceedings of the Israel Geographical Society,
Annual Meeting, Jerusalem, 1976 (Hebrew).
5. "Planned industrial estates and their adaptation to Israeli policy" in Hamilton,
F.E.I. (ed.), The Organization of Spatial In- dustrial Systems, Symposium 27,
Vol. 3, Novosibirsk, 1976.
6. "The small Arab village - A unique phenomenon in the non-Jewish sector,"
Proceedings of the Israel Geographical Society, Annual Meeting, Beersheva,
1977, pp. 156-160 (Hebrew).
7. "The settlement process of the Arab sector in Israel," Proceedings of the Israel
Geographical Society, Annual Meeting, Bar-
Ilan University, 1978, pp. 103-106.
8. "The role of the state in Urban Planning - The Case of Israel," Latin America
Regional Conference, Resumos Das Comunicacoes Abstracts, 1982, pp. 327-
9. "The role of Regional Geography in the Professional Training of Geographers
and Teachers," Latin America Regional Conference, Resumos Das
Comunicacoes, Abstracts 1982, pp. 481-482.
10. "The Security Landscape - Ecology and Management, The Case of Israel,"
Proceedings of the Third International Conference: Environmental Quality
and Ecosystem Stability, 1986, pp. 395-403.
11. Soffer A. and N. Kliot, "The Water Resources of the Jordan Catchment:
Management Options", BRISMES proceedings, SOAS, London, 1991, pp.205-
12. "Sinai - The Continental Bridge Between Africa and Asia - Recent
Development, Plans and Impact", BRISMES proceedings, SOAS,
London, 1991, pp. 202-205.
13. Forms of Coexistence and Transborder Cooperation in a Hostile Area: The
Israeli Political Boundaries and Coexistence Proceedings of the IGL -
Symposium Basle/Switerland 24-27 May 1994, Peter Lang/Berne.
14. Natural Resources in the Middle East Halki: International Seminar on E.U. and
the Meditterranean Region, 1997.
15. Corridors/ Safe Passage Routs: Past Present and Future Outlook, The Case of
Yesha, Judea and Samaria Research Studies, Proceeding of the Seventh
Annual Meeting 1997, pp.279-294.
16. The Option of Separation Between Jews and Arabs in Palestine, does not exist
any more, Judea and Samaria Research Studites Proceeding of the Eiegth
Annual Meeting, 1998.
Other Journals (in Hebrew)
1. Ben Arieh Y., Soffer A. "The geographical uniqueness of the Allonim - Shfaram
Hills," Teva VeAretz, 6, 1964, pp.282-296.
2. Soffer A. "Geography texts in a dynamic world," Maalot 6, 1974, pp. 37-41.
3. Soffer A. "Populating the Galilee and preservation of environ- mental quality,"
Teva VeAretz 17, 1975, pp. 185-187.
4. Soffer A. "Nazareth - Evolution of a metropolis in the Galilee," Nofim, No. 9-10,
1977, pp. 187-196.
5. Soffer A. "Geographical terms in the Arab Villages' names," Teva VeAretz 20,
1978, pp. 4-9.
6. Soffer A. "Jewish Settlement in Galilee 1948-1970," Israel Land and Nature,
Vol.7, No.1, Fall 1981, pp. 10-16.
7. Soffer A. "New Settlement types in the Galilee," Monthly Review No. 2, 1981,
8. Soffer A. "Lebanon - Geographical Introduction," I.D.F., Ed. by Y. Gvirtz, May
1981, published also in: Monthly Review, No. 5, 1981, pp. 9-11.
9. Soffer A. "Tendencies in settlement processes 1948-1981," Monthly Review, (A
Special Issue for the Independence Day,) No. 3-4, March-April 1982, pp. 68-77.
10. Soffer A. "Population and Economy of Lebanon," Monthly Review, July 1982,
11. Soffer A. "Beirut, the Capital of Lebanon," Monthly Review, July 1982, No. 7,
12. Soffer A. "Back to the Northern Line," Monthly Review, 4, June 1985, pp. 307
13. Soffer A. "Changes around the Israeli borders," Monthly Review, 8, 1985, pp.
14. Soffer A., Risin L. "The Conception of Israeli boundaries since 1948," Monthly
Review, Vol.33, No.2-3, May 1986, pp. 197-205.
15. Soffer A. "Geography and Demography in the land of Israel in the Year 2000," in
A. Hareven (ed.), Approaching the Year 2000, Towards Peace of Another War?
Jerusalem: Van Leer Institution, 1988, pp. 11-36.
16. Soffer A. "The Port Industry Nexus in the Haifa Region," Sapanut, Vol. 15, No.
1-2, pp. 33-40.
17. Soffer A. "Haifa in a Peaceful Future," Zev Vilnay's Jubilee, Vol. II, (ed.) E.
Schiller, April 1987, Jerusalem: Ariel Publication, pp. 129-135.
18. Soffer A. "The Urban Battle Field," Haman, 1990.
19. Soffer A. "Relations Between Military Activities and Civilians in the Golan
Heights," The Institute of Golan Research, Oct. 1989, pp. 51-54.
20. Soffer A., N. Kliot, "Water Projects in the Middle East," Monthly Review 11,
1990, pp. 3-13.
21. Efrat E., A. Soffer, R. Finkel, "Lookouts and New Towns," Land, 32, 1990, pp.
22. Soffer A. The Lookouts - Ten Years later, Land, Vol.34, Feb. 1992, pp. 24-29.
23. Soffer A. National Master Plan No. 31 - Rethinking, Land 35, 1992, pp.14-23.
24. Soffer A. Full Equality for the Arab in Israel - is it possible? Nativ 31(2), 1993,
25.Soffer A. "Jordan - 'A state in the Desert border" in Shiller A. and G. Barkai (eds.)
Jordan and its places, Jerusalem: Ariel, No.107-108, pp.43-65, 1995
26. Yaar-Weisel T. and A. Soffer, 'The Erasing of Geographical Elements' as result
of the reomoval of a border", Land, Vol.39, April 1995, pp.39-51.
27. Soffer A. “The Israeli Arabs and the peace process - Policy Recommendations
Nativ 4/1996 pp 134-136.
28. Soffer A. “The Oslo Accord - How to Halt it at the present stage and why” Nativ
5/1996 pp 22-28.
29. Soffer A. and Yaar-Weisel T , "The Israel-Syria Border - why has it not been
removed?" Karka (Land), Vol42, 1996, pp.29-40.
30. Soffer A. The Israeli Arabs - facts and New directions in Israeli Arab whither.
A.Magen (ed) 16-38, Ramat Efal ; Yad Tabenkin 1996
31. Soffer A. “Israeli Arabs and the Palestinian State: Allegiance and Loyalty”,
Nativ Vol.10, No. 1-2, 1997, pp.77-81.
32. Soffer A. 100 Years of Zionism: From "'Adding Dunam to Dunam' to 'Teritory
for Peace'", Nativ, 10, 3, 1998, pp.26-34.
33. Soffer A. ‘The Lookout’ in The Kibbutz’s Lexicon (ed) E. Avrahami, Yad
Tabenkin, 1998, pp.191-192.
34. Soffer A. “Population Dispersal - The Next Zionist Challenge, Nativ Vol.11,
No.4-8, 1998, pp.45-51.
35. Soffer A. A Palestinian State: The Geograaphic Aspects Nativ, Vol.12, No.1,
*36. Soffer A. “Israel in 2020 – Demographical forcasting and ecological and
political implication”, Alon Geographia, Jerusalem, 2000, pp.9-14.
Planning and Survey Reports:
Social and Economic Survey for Outline Plan of Jezreel, Ministry of Interior,
1971, 60 pp. (with M. Vardi).
Outline Plan for the Northern District, Ministry of Interior, 1973
Land for Public Housing in the Hadera Area, Ministry of Housing, Haifa, 26 pp.
(with B. Kipnis).
Supply of Land for Industry in the Haifa Area, Technion, Haifa, 1973, 21 pp.
Economic and Geographical Background for Planning for Druze
Villages on the Golan, Ministry of Interior, Nazareth, 1974.
Education and Culture in the Administered Areas in the Years
1967-1972, Foreign Ministry, Haifa, 1974, 76 pp.
Proposal for the Siting of a Regional Industrial Area in the
Doverat Region, Ministry of Industry, Haifa, 1974 (with A. Wachman).
Social and Economic Geographical Background for Outline Plan of
Upper Nazareth, Ministry of Interior, 1979.
The Location of Industrial Estate In Hilazon, Ministry of Industry 1981.
The Location of Wind Energy Farms in the Galilee, Ministry of Energy, 1983-
A Report for Declaring Carmiel as a City, Ministry of Interior, 1985.
Environmental Influences of Large Wind Farm in the Galilee -Project No. 82-5-09,
Ministry of Energy, with M Klein, S. Philiba, 1986.
Water Projects in the Middle East, Foreign Ministry, 1988.
Programatic Frame for Industrial Parks Planning, Ministry of Interior, Ministry
of Industry, 1989.
Master Plan for the Infrastructure of Industrial Parks in Development Areas,
Ministry of Industry and Treasure, 1991 (with M. Avnimelech and D. Neeman).
The Transfer of the Military Industry from the Center to the Negev - Ganeral
Evaluation, 1992, Shiran-Boaz, (Team Member).
Introduction, Peace Engineering, Water for the Middle East by the Jordan rift
Valley Project, IDEA Yr, 1994.
Master Plan for the Unsettled-Beduin in Northern Israel, Israel Land Authority -
Ministry of Housing, 1993.
Water in the Middle East, for the Shimizu Corporation, 1994.
Korazim Plateau As a Gate to the Galilee - A Geo-Economic and Transportation
Model, Jewish Agency, with G. Feiler and T. Gudoviz, 1995.
Cesaria, a New Plan, 1995. The development of Cesaria Company.
Mevasereth Jerusalem Master Plan, (Team Member) 1994-95.
The Haifa Port - New Master Plan, (A Team Memebr) 1994-95.
Nevatim Air Base as Alternative Port to Ben Gurion Air Port, (with Y. Zidon),
Educational Texts (By the Ministry of Education):
Geography of Northern Israel, Jerusalem, 1971.
Geography of Agriculture (Editor), Haifa, 1977, 89 pp. (Hebrew).
Geography of West Africa (Editor), Haifa, 1977, 55 pp. (Hebrew).
Geography of the Mediterranean Countries in Europe (Editor), Haifa, 1978, 78 pp.
Geography of Egypt - kit. (arranged in learning centers), Haifa, 1978.
Geography of South America (Editor), Haifa, 1981, 60 pp. (Hebrew).
Geography of Israel, Haifa, 1982, 110 pp. (Hebrew).
Geography of the Middle-East - kit. (arranged in learning centers), Haifa (Hebrew).
Geography of the Middle East, Am Oved, Tel Aviv, 1987, 172 pp.
The Arabs of Israel, Van Leer Institution - University of Haifa, (with Maj El Haj)
(in Arabic, 1987).
Soffer A. and R. Finkel, "The Outlooks in the Galilee", in Changes in the
Geography of Israel, Surkis, Rap, Schachar (eds.) 1992, pp.110-125.
Soffer A. and Y. Fucks, Geography of the Mediterranean Countries, Tel Aviv: Am
Oved, 1997, 256 pp.
Academic Advisor, The Negev - Desert and Man, by R. Everon, am Oved, 1994.
Academic Advisor, The Geography of the North, Educational Television, 1997.
Interviews and Articles in various Israeli and international newspapers (including
Haaretz, Maariv, Yediot Hacharonot, Makor Rishon, The New York Times, Los
Angeles Time, Chicago Tribune, The Scientist Christian Monitor, The
Independent - London, Times - London, U.S. News and World Report, Times,
T.V. and Radio appearance, in Israel and abroad 1972-2000 (including B.B.C.,
Nederland, Canada, U.S.A., Denmark, Germany).