Minutes of a Meeting of the
SYDNEY PORTS CARGO FACILITATION COMMITTEE (No. 03/2008)
Ground Floor Meeting Room of Moores Warehouse at Sydney Ports Corporation
Tuesday, 18th March 2008, 11:00am
Mr Hart Krtschil Chairman
Mr Brian Bourke Australian Customs Service
Mr Chris Ryan Australian Customs Service
Mr Lakhwinder Brar Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service
Mr Maninder Singh Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service
Mr John Preston Australian Trucking Association NSW
Mr Michael Moylan Australian Trucking Association NSW
Mr Damien Synot Custom Brokers and Forwarders Council of Australia
Mr Ben Hanley DP World
Mr Martin Taylor Patrick Terminals
Mr Claude Varnier Patrick Port Services
Mr Andrew Karas Shipping Australia
Mr Daniel Cavallo Sydney Ports Corporation
Mr John-Paul Babbington Sydney Ports Corporation
Mr Spencer Palfreeman Sydney Ports Corporation
Mr Elton McKay Australian Federation of International Forwarders
Mr David McGregor International Intermodal Repairers Australia
Mr Glenn Wood Maritime Union of Australia
Sgt Mark Crelley NSW Police
Ms Jenny Jones Sydney Ports Corporation
Mr Nicholas Angelos RailCorp
Mr Sam Crosby Transport Workers Union
1. APOLOGIES AND MEMBERSHIP
Apologies were accepted from Angelos, Crelley, Crosby, McKay, McGregor, Jones and
2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
The minutes of meeting No. 02/2008, held on Tuesday, 19th February 2008, were
confirmed by the members.
3. MATTER ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
In regard to action item 02/2008-01, Mr Brar informed members that occupational
health and safety information had been emailed to the Australian Trucking Association
(ATA) the morning of Tuesday 19th March 2008 for distribution to members.
In regard to action item 02/2008-02, Mr Ryan informed members that any future
Integrated Cargo System (ICS) outages are still unclear and when available information
will be given to the secretariat for distribution.
In regard to action item 02/2008-03, Mr Krtschil informed members that the review of
the Committee objectives and membership would be discussed under item 4m.
4. ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
A. Port Position
Mr Cavallo advised members that the monthly container throughput figure for February
2008 was 139000 TEUs, an increase of 6500 TEUs compared to the same month in the
previous year. Further information of container throughput for the current and previous
financial years is attached to the minutes.
B. Port Developments
Mr Taylor informed members that Patrick Port Botany is continuing to conduct Rail
Mounted Gantry (RMG) training runs. It is expected that the RMGs would be fully
operational for rail in April 2008 and for road in mid 2008.
Mr Hanley informed members that Mr James Mather has been appointed as Terminal
Manager and Mr Paul Birkinshow has been appointed Operations Manager at DP World
C. Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS)
Mr Singh informed members that 46618 containers had been inspected for the month of
February 2008. The high level of contamination rate (which necessitates off site cleaning
of containers) remains consistently low.
D. Australian Customs Service (ACS)
Mr Bourke advised members that the Integrated Cargo System (ICS) Import Lines were
at 63800 in February 2008, a large decrease of approximately 8700, from the previous
month. The national on-time reporting performance was recorded at 85%, and is based
on the lowest bill rating 48 hours before vessel arrival at the first port of call. The on-
time reporting performance for each state for February 2008 was recorded as follows:
New South Wales 85%
West Australia 86%
South Australia 83%
E. Industrial Issues
Mr Taylor advised members that negotiations are continuing in regard to the Patrick’s
Mr Hanley advised members that negotiations had commenced regarding DP World’s
F. Road Transport
Mr Cavallo advised members that the average truck turnaround times for February 2008
were 48 minutes at DP World Port Botany and 55 minutes at Patrick (Port Botany).
Further information on the average truck turnaround times for February 2008 and over
the previous three years are attached to the minutes.
Mr Moylan enquired if information regarding delays at stevedoring terminals could be
provided to the ATA, more precisely when future delays are known in advance. Mr
Taylor informed members that any delays at Patrick Port Botany would be relayed to
Mr Moylan enquired into time delays in the vehicle booking system (VBS). The VBS
opens and takes timeslot bookings at 7:00am, however some vessels for the forth coming
days are marked as not available for several hours. When the vessels are deemed available
timeslots have already been filled. Mr Taylor and Mr Hanley informed members that the
VBS is updated when the information becomes available, however both members will
clarify with their respective stevedores to this protocol.
G. Rail Transport
Information on rail possessions for the Sydney Metropolitan area showing the major
closedowns for the forth coming three month period are attached to these minutes.
H Port Security
No port security issues were raised for February 2008.
I. Empty Container Parks
Information on empty container storage levels for March 2008 and over the past three
years is attached to these minutes.
Mr Varnier informed members with the conclusion of Chinese New Year empty
container park capacity has returned to normal levels.
J. Electronic Cargo Release
Mr Karas informed members that Shipping Australia last conducted a survey amongst
members September 2007 and will conduct another survey in the forth coming months.
The September 2007 survey confirmed that shipping companies MSC, HSDG and
Evergreen were using Electronic Delivery Orders (EDO’s). The survey showed the
majority of shipping companies had indicated plans to migrate to EDO’s during 2008.
K. Dangerous Goods
No dangerous goods issues were raised for February 2008.
L. Port Plan for Peak Periods
Mr Krtschil sought from members their opinions on the need for a 2008 Transport
Workshop. Members supported the Transport Workshops as a good way of facilitating
discussion, receiving updates and organising for the forth coming peak season. Some
members suggested that the Transport Workshop should be held in June 2008 as the
peak season has arrived in August over the past two years.
Mr Krtschil suggested that the Workshop attendance be broadened to potentially include
Chamber of Commerce, councils, importers, exporters and other stakeholders of
industry. This approach was generally supported by committee members.
Mr Krtschil indicated that further discussion of the Transport Workshop would be
undertaken at the next meeting.
M. Committee Objectives and Membership
Mr Krtschil sought comments from members on the draft recommendations outlined in
the discussion paper on changes to the committee constitution format, objectives and
membership. This document and its recommendations are attached to the minutes.
In relation to draft recommendation 1, that the document outlining the parameters of the
Sydney Ports Cargo Facilitation Committee is transferred from a Constitution format to
a Business Rules format, some concern was expressed by shipping industry
representatives regarding the reasoning and potential implications associated with
transferring the parameters of the committee from a constitution format to a business
rules format. Members agreed that the secretariat prepare a response to these comments
prior to progressing with a decision on the recommendation.
Action item 03/2008-01: Secretariat to prepare a response to comments from
Shipping Australia in regard to draft recommendation 1.
In relation to draft recommendation 2, that the refined objectives of the Sydney Ports
Cargo Facilitation Committee are adopted, members supported the realigned objectives
of the SPCFC. These objectives include;
1) Facilitate the efficient exchange of cargo through the port at Port Botany,
Sydney Harbour and other port related activities as required.
2) Respond to and/or anticipate industry needs in resolving landside port
operational and related issues.
3) Work to improve communication and promote an understanding of operational
procedures and practices between all parties in the transport chain.
4) Provide a forum for discussion on port and inter-related industry matters.
5) Give advice on matters related to shipping and logistics operations.
This recommendation is therefore adopted.
In relation to draft recommendation 3, that the membership of the Sydney Ports Cargo
Facilitation Committee is broadened to include representatives from the intermodal and
importer/exporter industries. Members support the inclusion of representatives from the
intermodal and importer/exporter industries to the SPCFC. This recommendation is
The committee also discussed the provision of a more formal approach to ‘sub-meetings’
so outcomes could be attributed to SPCFC. Members agreed to undertake there
arrangements on an ‘as-needs’ basis.
REPORTS BY COMMITTEE MEMBERS
No reports by committee members for March 2008.
6. NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Sydney Ports Cargo Facilitation Committee will be held on
Tuesday, 15 April 2008. The Chairman closed the meeting at 12:00 pm.