NAME: Zachary Steel, BA (Hons), M. Psychol (Clinical)
ADDRESS: 4/30 Arcadia St, Coogee NSW 2034
HOME PH: (02) 9664 6012
WORK PH: (02) 9828 4902
MOBILE: 0407 200 517
FAX: (02) 8569 1553
DOB: 7th October 1967
NSW Psychologist Registration Board: PS0027789
Highly Commended for 2002 Human Rights & Equal Opportunity
Commission Human Rights Award: Community Category
CURRENT COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP:
NSW Institute of Psychiatry, Management Board, Appointed by NSW
Minister of Health (2005).
NSW Refugee Health Service, Management Board (2004 - present).
Area Executive Psychology Committee SWSAS (2003 - present).
Principal, Centre for Population Mental Health Research, Sydney South
West Area Health Service, (2003 – present)
Research Committee, NSW Service for the Treatment and Rehabilitation of
Torture and Trauma Survivors (STARTTS) (2000 - present).
Research Committee, NSW Transcultural Mental Health Centre (1994 -
Independent Learning Project Committee, Curriculum Development
Committee, Faculty of Medicine, UNSW (2004 - present).
School of Psychiatry Academic Committee UNSW (2004 - present).
Asylum Seeker Health Professional Network (2002 - present).
Research Network Meeting, NSW Diversity Health Institute (2004 –
1999-present: Enrolled in Doctor of Philosophy, School of Psychiatry, Faculty of
Medicine, University of New South Wales.
1995: Master of Psychology (Clinical), First Class Honours, University of New
1989: Bachelor of Arts degree, Honours Second Class Division One, Macquarie
Employment History 1990 – Present
13.10.2003 - present Senior Lecturer, Psychiatry Research and Teaching Unit, School of Psychiatry,
University of NSW, Liverpool Hospital.
Acting Director, Center for Population Mental Health Research, Sydney South
West Area Health Service
1.5.2002 – 10/10/2003 Research Coordinator & Clinical Psychologist, Psychiatry Research and
Teaching Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of NSW, Liverpool
1.6.2000 – 1/5/2002 Mental Health Information Development Project Manager, Health Service
Manager Level 2. South Western Sydney Area Health Service
12.1.1997 - 1.6.2000 Full time clinical psychologist, Advanced Training Position in Mental Health,
Campbelltown Mental Health Service & Psychiatry Research and Teaching
20.1.1995 - 30.2.1996 2/5 time research psychologist, Psychiatry Research and Teaching Unit,
Department of Psychiatry, University of NSW, Liverpool Hospital.
3/5 time research officer, Transcultural Mental Health Centre, Cumberland
Hospital, PO BOX 2008, North Parramatta, 2151.
1.1.1993 - 31.12.1994 Full time research psychologist, Psychiatry Research and Teaching Unit,
Department of Psychiatry, University of NSW, Liverpool Hospital.
23.7.1990 - 19.7.1991 Full time associate lecturer, Psychology, Macquarie University
Clinical Psychologist (Psychiatry Research & Teaching Unit Jan 1997 - present)
Description: Asylum Seeker Clinical Research Program
Clinical Duties Provision of clinical and forensic psychological services to asylum
seekers including: the preparation of psychological reports for
submission to DIMIA case determinations, Refuge Review Tribunal
Hearings, Federal Court of Australia and Ministerial appeals; the
provision of counselling services to asylum seekers identified as in
immediate need of assistance;
Clinical Psychologist (Advanced Training in Mental Health, Jan.1997 – Jun.2000)
Location (1) Behavioural Research & Therapy Unit, Campbelltown Mental
(2) Psychiatry Research and Teaching Unit, Liverpool Hospital
Date: 3 March, 1997 to Present
Description: A primary referral treatment centre for the treatment of Eating,
Anxiety and Mood Disorders.
Clinical The implementation and assessment of standardised individual
Duties behavioural interventions for:
Panic disorder with/without agoraphobia; Agoraphobia without panic;
Obsessive-compulsive disorder; Social phobia; Bulimia nervosa &
eating disorder NOS; Major affective disorders; Psychosis.
The implementation and assessment of a group treatment
programme for generalised anxiety disorder.
Mood Disorder Unit, Northside Clinic
Length: 3 Months p/t (1994).
Supervisor: Dr Nicholas Marlow, Clinical Psychologist
Description: A short term private inpatient unit for the chronically depressed.
Duties: Assessment of suitability for cognitive therapy, cognitive therapy for
depression, and neuropsychological assessment
Anxiety Impulse Control Disorders Unit, Psychiatry Teaching and Research Unit,
Length: Equivalent of 6 months p/t (1993/1994).
Supervisor: Assoc. Prof. Alex Blaszczynski
Description: A specialist treatment programme for the treatment of Impulse control
disorders and group interventions for anxiety conditions.
Duties: Assessment and treatment of clients with pathological gambling or
anger management problems. Implement as Co-therapist 7 week
panic disorder group programme and 8 week schizophrenia family
University of New South Wales Psychology Clinic
Length: Equivalent of 6 months f/t (1993/1994).
Supervisors: Dr Michael Nicholas & Dr Leanne Willis
Description: University based clinic servicing non-acute clients referred from the
University setting or the general community.
Duties: Child and adult educational assessments, cognitive-behavioural
interventions for clients presenting with bulimia nervosa, simple
phobia, generalised anxiety disorder, major depression, relationship
problems and substance dependence. Co-therapist seven week
tinnitus group management programme.
Behavioural Research & Therapy Unit, Campbelltown Mental Health Service
Length: 6 Months p/t (1994).
Supervisor: Sylvia Adcock, Senior Clinical Psychologist.
Description: A specialist treatment centre for the treatment of Eating and Anxiety
Duties: see entry above
1986-1990: Sydney City Mission: Adolescent Social Educator / Youth Worker. This
position involved direct crisis intervention, case management and long term
1997-Present: Senior Lecture/Lecturer, School of Psychiatry, University of New South
From 1997 I have been involved in the provision of clinical training and
supervision in psychiatric interview techniques to 5th year medical students
attending the psychiatry term at Liverpool Hospital through.
From 2000 –I was responsible for the development of a three hour lecture
series as part of the 5th year medial student lecture program focussing on
Transcultural Psychiatry & Refugee Mental Health.
1990-1992: Full time Associate Lecturer in Psychology, Macquarie University.
PSY 103: Introduction to Psychology:
PSY 222: Research, Design, and Statistics for the Social Sciences.
PSY 209: Foundations of Developmental Psychology: A general introduction
to life span development.
PSY 225: Person and Society: This unit examines contemporary Psychology
and its relationship with Sociology and the Philosophy of the Social Sciences.
PSY 323: Motivation; The major theoretical approaches within the areas of
motivation and the connection between motivation and emotion.
MANAGERIAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE:
Research Co-ordinator Vietnamese Survey of Mental Health and Well Being. This has
involved me in the daily management of all expenditure and administrative aspects of
this large project including the employment and supervision of 38 bilingual Vietnamese
Chief Investigator and Administrating officer NHMRC: Public Health Research &
Development Small Grant: This has involved me in authorising and employing two
casual research assistants and/or cultural advisers as well as four contract employees
who have been directly accountable to myself. In addition to this I have been involved
in the general financial management of this grant.
My duties as an Associate Lecturer at Macquarie University involved exposure to on-
going administrative responsibilities. These included the development of tutorial and
teaching material for use by other teaching staff, management and collation of student
records and determination of student grades, setting of assessment tasks, the
development of marking criteria and the organisation of student resources.
1. Ten years. Research Coordinator/Clinical Psychologist, Psychiatry Research and
Teaching Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of NSW, Liverpool Hospital.
With Professor Silove: The initiation, implementation, analysis, and joint
publication of major research projects in the area of migrant and refugee
research. Research has focussed on the mental health status on-shore asylum
seekers, the pathways to care and help seeking behaviours of immigrants
accessing specialist mental health care, and the epidemiology of mental illness
amongst the Vietnamese population in NSW.
With Professor Blaszczynski: The treatment and assessment of pathological
gamblers and the joint management of research projects examining the role of
impulsivity and behavioural treatment programmes.
2. One year. Research officer, Transcultural Mental Health Centre, Cumberland
Hospital, PO BOX 2008, North Parramatta, 2151. In this position I was responsible
for the completion of an epidemiological analysis of hospital and community mental
health utilisation for immigrants from non-English speaking countries and the
Australian-born within New South Wales.
3. Six months. Research Assistant: AIDS unit at Macquarie University and Professor
Ross Homel, Macquarie University. This position involved univariate and mulivariate
statistical analysis, data management of large survey output and questionnaire
2005 Faculty Research Grant Program, University NSW. Refugee
determination and the traumatised applicant: An in-depth analysis of
psychological and evidentiary factors in a representative sample of asylum
2005 Faculty Research Grant Program, University NSW. Anger Attacks:
Phenomenology, Aetiology, Coping Strategies, Personal and Interpersonal
Consequences (PS07194) $A.20 000
National Health and Medical Research Council, Competing Grants, 2000 –
2002, Impact of the refugee application process on the psychiatric status of
traumatized asylum seekers: a prospective study, Prof DM Silove, Ms E Harris,
Ms S Winton, Mr M Coello, Dr V Manicavasagar, Mr Z Steel, (136000) $A.144
National Health and Medical Research Council, Competing Grants: Special
Initiative Projects, 1998 – 1999, The mental health, risk factor profile, and
service utilization of the Viet Nam-born community in New South Wales, Dr T.
Phan, Prof DM Silove, Mr Z Steel, Prof. A Bauman
(98-0067) $A.180 335
Health Research Foundation, Sydney South West and Ingham Foundation,
1998, Pathways to Specialist Mental health Care within South Western Sydney
Area Health Service, Steel Z & Silove D $A.18 538
National Health and Medical Research Council, Public Health Research &
Development Small Grant, 1994, Mental Health Service Needs of On-Shore
Asylum Seekers, Mr Z Steel, Prof DM Silove, A/Prof PD McGorry (94-4855)
Health and Human Services Research and Development Advisory Council
(RADAC) National Mental Health Strategy Research Funding. Pathways to
Specialist Mental Health Care, 1997 – 1998. Dr R McDonald, Prof DM Silove,
A/Prof H Minas, A/Prof A Bauman, Z Steel $A.97 057
Health and Human Services Research and Development Advisory Council
(RADAC) National Mental Health Strategy Research Funding. Establishment of
an East Timorese Torture and Trauma Research Clinic. Prof DM Silove, M
Cunningham, MH Pires, Z Steel $A.49 158
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES:
1. Steel, Z. P., Farag, P.A. & Blaszczynski, A. (1995). Interrupting the binge-purge
cycle: The use of planned binges. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 18,
2. Sinnerbrink, I., Silove, D., Manicavasagar, V., Steel, Z. & Field, A. (1996). Asylum
seekers: general health status and problems with access to health care. Medical
Journal of Australia, 165, 634-637.
3. Steel, Z. P. & Blaszczynski, A. (1996). Factorial structure of pathological
gambling. Journal of Gambling Studies, 12, 3-20.
4. Blaszczynski, A., Steel, Z. P. & McConaghy, N. (1997). Impulsivity in pathological
gambling: the antisocial impulsivist. Addiction, 92(1), 75-87.
5. Silove, D., Sinnerbrink, I., Field, A., Manicavasagar, V. & Steel, Z.P., (1997).
Anxiety, depression and PTSD in asylum seekers: associations with pre-migration
trauma and post-migration stressors. British Journal of Psychiatry, 170, 351-357.
6. Meiser, B., Harding, C., Mitchell, P., Fitzgerald, M., Steel, Z., & Malak, A. (1997).
My Counsellor - a friend I trust. Psychotherapy in Australia, 3, 48-51.
7. Sinnerbrink, I., Silove, D., Field, A., Steel, Z. & Manicavasagar, V. (1997).
Compounding of pre-migration trauma and post migration stress in asylum
seekers. Journal of Psychology, 131, 463-470.
8. Silove, D., Steel, Z.P., McGorry, P. & Mohan, P. (1998). Psychiatric symptoms
and living difficulties in Tamil asylum seekers: comparisons with refugees and
immigrants. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 97, 175-181.
9. Steel, Z. P. & Blaszczynski, A. (1998). Impulsivity, personality disorders and
pathological gambling severity. Addiction, 93, 895-906.
10. Blaszczynski, A. & Steel, Z. P. (1998). Personality disorders in pathological
gambling. Journal of Gambling Studies, 14, 51-71.
11. Steel, Z., Silove, D., Bird, K., McGorry, P. & Mohan, P. (1999). Pathways from war
trauma to posttraumatic stress symptoms amongst Tamil asylum seekers,
refugees and immigrants. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 12, 421-435.
12. Silove, D., Steel, Z., McGorry, P. & Drobny, J. (1999). Problems Tamil asylum
seekers encounter in accessing health and welfare services in Australia, Social
Science & Medicine, 19, 951-956.
13. Steel Z & McDonald R (2000). Suicide in Immigrants Born in Non-English
Speaking Countries: The Latest Research. Synergy, Winter, 15,38-41.
14. Steel, Z., Jones, J. Adcock, S., Clancy, R., Bridgford-West, L., & Austin, J. (2000)
Why The High Rate of Dropout From Individualised Cognitive-Behavior Therapy
for Bulimia Nervosa ?, International Journal of Eating Disorders, 28, 209-214.
15. Silove, D., Steel, Z., & Watters, C. (2000) Policies of Deterrence and the Mental
Health of Asylum Seekers in Western Countries. JAMA, 284, 604-611.
16. Silove, D., Steel, Z., Mollica, R. (2001). Detention of Asylum seekers: assault on
health, human rights and social development, Lancet, 357, 1436-1437.
17. Meiser B, Eisenbruch M, Barlow-Stewart K, Tucker K, Steel Z, Goldstein D.
(2001). Cultural aspects of cancer genetics: Setting a research agenda. Journal
of Medical Genetics 38:425-429.
18. Steel, Z. & Silove, D.M. (2001). The mental health implications of detaining
asylum seekers. Medical Journal of Australia, 175, 596-599.
19. Silove, D., Steel, Z., McGorry, P. Miles, V., Drobny, J. (2002). The impact of
torture on post-traumatic stress symptoms in war-affected Tamil refugees and
immigrants. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 43, 49-55.
20. Murrell, E., Steel, Z., Gaston, J. Proudfoot, H. (2002). Training the Clinical
Psychologist: profile of a university-based clinic. Australian Psychologist, 37, 123-
21. Momartin S, Silove D, Manicavasagar V, Steel Z. (2002). Range and dimensions
of trauma experienced by Bosnian refugees resettled in Australia. Australian
Psychologist, 37, 149-155.
22. Steel Z, Silove DM, Phan T, Bauman A. (2002) The long-term impact of trauma
on the mental health of Vietnamese refugees resettled in Australia. Lancet, 360,
23. Silove D, Coello M,Tang K, Aroche J, Soares M, Lingam R, Chaussivert M,
Manicavagasgar V, Steel Z. (2002). Towards a researcher-advocacy model for
asylum seekers: A pilot study amongst East Timorese living in Australia.
Transcultural Psychiatry, 39, 452-68.
24. Momartin, S., Silove, D., Manicavasagar, V., Steel, Z. (2003). Dimensions of
trauma associated with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) caseness, severity
and functional impairment: a study of Bosnian refugees resettled in Australia.
Social Science and Medicine, 57(5), 775-781.
25. Kenny MA, Silove DM, Steel Z. Legal and ethical implications of medically
enforced feeding of detained asylum seekers on hunger strike. (2004). Medical
Journal of Australia 180(5):237-240.
26. Momartin, S., Silove, D., Manicavasagar, V. & Steel, Z. (2004). Comorbidity of
PTSD and depression: associations with trauma exposure, symptoms severity
and functional impairment in Bosnian refugees. Journal of Affective Disorders, 80,
27. Phan T, Steel Z, Silove D. (2004). An ethnographically derived measure of
anxiety, depression and somatization: The Phan Vietnamese Psychiatric Scale.
Transcultural Psychiatry, 41(2), 200-232.
28. Momartin, S., Silove, D., Manicavasagar, V. & Steel, Z. (2004). Complicated grief
in bosnian refugees: Associations with posttraumatic stress disorder and
depression. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 45(6), 475-482.
29. Steel Z, Momartin S, Bateman C, Hafshejani A, Silove D, Everson N, Roy K,
Dudley M, Newman L, Blick B, Mares S. (2004). Psychiatric status of asylum
seeker families held for a protracted period in a remote detention centre in
Australia. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 28(6), 23-32.
30. Davidson N, Skull S, Burgner D, Kelly P, Raman S, Silove D, Steel Z, Vora R,
Smith M. (2004) An issue of access: Delivering equitable health care for newly
arrived refugee children in Australia. Journal of Paediatric Child Health 40, 569-
31. Davidson N, Skull S, Chaney G, Frydenberg A, Isaacs D, Kelly P, Lampropoulos
B, Raman S, Silove D, Buttery J, Smith M, Steel Z, Burgner D. (2004)
Comprehensive health assessment for newly arrived refugee children in Australia.
Journal of Paediatric Child Health. 40, 562-568.
32. Steel Z, Silove D. (2004) Science and the common good: Indefinite, non-
reviewable mandatory detention of asylum seekers and the research imperative.
Monash Bioethics Review 23(4) 93-102.
33. Steel Z, Frommer N, Silove D. (2004) Part I The mental health impacts of
migration: the law and its effects. Failing to understand: refugee determination
and the traumatized applicant. International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 27:
34. Kamau M, Silove D, Steel Z, Catanzaro R, Bateman C. Ekblad S. (2004).
Psychiatric Disorders in an African Refugee Camp. International Journal of Mental
Health, Psychosocial Work and Counselling in Areas of Armed Conflict 2(2) 84-
35. Steel Z, Silove DM, Chey T, Bauman A, Phan T, Phan T. (2005) Mental disorders,
disability and health service use amongst Vietnamese refugees and the host
Australian population. Acta Psychiatric Scandanivica. 111:300-309.
36. Boufous S, Silove D, Bauman A, Steel Z. (2005). Disability and health service
utilisation associated with psychological distress: the influence of ethnicity. Mental
Health Services Research Journal. 7(3) 171-179.
37. Blaszczynski A, Drobny J, Steel Z. (2005) Home-Based Imaginal Desensitisation
in Pathological Gambling: Short-Term Outcomes. Behaviour Change. 22(1):13-
38. Schweitzer R, Melville F, Steel Z, Lacherez P. (2006) Trauma, Post-Migration
Living Difficulties, and Social Support as Predictors of Psychological Adjustment
in Resettled Sudanese Refugees. Australian and New Zealand Journal of
Psychiatry, 40: 1-9
39. Steel Z, Silove D, Brooks R, Momartin S, Alzuhairi B, Brooks R, Susljik I. (in
press). The impact of immigration detention and temporary protection on the
mental health of refugees. British Journal of Psychiatry.
40. Steel Z, McDonald R, Silove D, Bauman A, Sandford P, Herron J, Minas H. (in
press) Pathways to first contact with specialist mental health care. Australian and
New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry
41. Brooks R, Beard J, Steel Z. (In press) Factor Structure and Interpretation of the K-
10. Psychological Assessment
42. Silove D, Brooks R, Steel Z, Blaszczynski A, Hillman K, Tyndall K. (in press) Can
Structured interviews for PTSD assist clinical decision-making after motor vehicle
accidents? An exploratory analysis. Comprehensive Psychiatry
43. Silove D & Steel Z (in press). Understanding community psychosocial needs after
disasters: implications for mental health services. Journal of Postgraduate
44. Steel, Z. P. McDonald, R. & Hornsey, J. (1995). NSW hospitalisation and
community management of NESB migrants with mental disorders. In Kellehear,
K. Teesson, M., Farhall, J., Peters, J., Miller, V. & Miller, M. (eds.). Prevention,
partnership, integration: Meeting the challenges. Ian Liddell, Pty. Australia.
45. Steel, Z. & Silove D. (2000). The psychosocial cost of seeking asylum. In A.Y.
Shalev, R. Yehuda, A. C. McFarlane (Eds.). International Handbook of Human
Response to Trauma. (pp. 421-438). New York: Plenum Press.
46. Steel, Z. & Silove. D. (2001). Poisoned milk – applying for asylum in Australia. In
C. Moser, D. Nyfeler, M. Verwey. (Eds.). Traumatization of Refugees and Asylum
Seekers: The Relevance of the Political, Social and Medical Context. Zürich:
Seismo. (pp. 31-50).
47. Steel, Z. (2001). Beyond PTSD: Towards a more adequate understanding of the
multiple effects of complex trauma. In C. Moser, D. Nyfeler, M. Verwey. (Eds.).
Traumatization of Refugees and Asylum Seekers: The Relevance of the Political,
Social and Medical Context. Zürich: Seismo. (pp. 66-84).
48. Steel, Z. & Blaszczynski, A. (2002). Impulsivity, Personality Disorders and
Pathological Gambling. In J.J.Marotta, J.A.Cornelius, & W.R.Eadington. (Eds.).
The Downside: Problem and Pathological Gambling. Institute for the Study of
Gambling & Commercial Gaming: Reno, Nevada.
49. Steel Z, Mares S, Newman L, Blick B, Dudley M. (2004). The Politics of Asylum
and Immigration Detention: Advocacy, Ethics and the Professional Role of the
Therapist. In JP Wilson and B Drozdek. (Eds.). Broken Spirits: The Treatment of
Traumatised Asylum Seekers, Refugees, War and Torture Survivors. (pp. 659-
50. Silove D & Steel Z. (In press). The culture of deterrence: the mental health impact
of Australia’s asylum policies. In Bhui and Bhugra: Textbook of Culture and
Mental Health Disorder .
51. McDonald, R. & Steel, Z. (1997). Immigrants and Mental Health: An
Epidemiological Report. Sydney: Transcultural Mental Health Centre.
52. Silove, D.M. & Steel, Z, (1998). The Mental Health & Well Being of On-Shore
Asylum Seekers in Australia. Sydney: Psychiatry Research Teaching Unit.
Abstracts, Letters, and Non Peer-Reviewed Publications:
53. Stein, M., Menéndez, J., Steel, Z. (1999). Stepped care and the management of
postnatal depression. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry.
54. Silove D, Steel Z. (2002). Matters Arising: Asylum seekers and healthcare.
Medical Journal of Australia 176, 86.
55. Steel Z, McDonald R, Sandford P, Herron J, Silove D, Bauman A, Minas H.
(2000) Pathways to the first contact with specialist mental health care.
Transcultural Mental Health Centre: Sydney
56. Dudley M, Mares S, Newman L, Steel Z. Behind the razor wire - Experiences of
children and families in immigration detention, Australian And New Zealand
Journal of Psychiatry 37: A8-A8 Suppl. 1, OCT 2003
57. Steel Z. The politics of exclusion and denial the mental health costs of Australia’s
refugee policy, Australian And New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 37: A45-A46
Suppl. 1, OCT 2003
58. Dudley M. Jureidini J. Mares S. Newman L. Phillips N. Powrie R. Rosen A. Silove
D. Steel Z. Tennant C. (2004) In protest. Australian & New Zealand Journal of
Psychiatry. 38(11-12):978-9; discussion 979-80.
59. Silove D, Steel, Z. Down the Abyss into Torture: The Road from September 11 to
ABU GHRAIB Prison. Refugee Transitions. Winter. Issue 15, p4-9, 2004.
60. Steel, Z. When the Welfare of children no longer matters. Uniken, Issue 15, July
1. Momartin S, Steel Z, Coello M, Aroche J, Silove DM, Brooks R. The mental health
impact of past detention and ongoing temporary protection on refugees. Medical
Journal of Australia
2. Silove DM, Steel Z, Susljik I, Frommer N, Lonnergan C, Brooks R, le Touze D,
Manicavasagar V, Coello M, Smith M, Harris E. Torture, PTSD, and the outcomes
of refugee applications amongst recently arrived asylum seekers in Australia.
Journal of Refugee Studies
3. Brooks R, Silove DM, Steel Z, Blaszczynski A, Hillman K. Why is it difficult to
predict PTSD after accidental injury? An exploratory investigation.
1. Nicholas, M. & Steel, Z. P. (1993). Evaluation of a New Group Tinnitus Management
Programme. National Conference of the Australian Tinnitus Association.
2. Steel, Z. P. (1993). Carrying out research with asylum seekers: Importance and
difficulties. Health for Multicultural Australia National Conference. Sydney.
3. Steel, Z. P. (1993). Chinese student refugee applicants and the role of research.
Chinese Refugee Issues National Conference. Melbourne.
4. Blaszczynski, A. & Steel, Z. P. (1994). Personality disorders amongst pathological
gamblers. Ninth International Conference on Gambling and Risk Taking. Las Vegas,
5. Steel, Z. P. & Blaszczynski. (1994) Impulsivity, psychopathy and the structure of
athological gambling. Ninth International Conference on Gambling and Risk Taking.
Las Vegas, Nevada.
6. Steel, Z. P. & Blaszczynski, A. (1995). Impulsivity, personality disorders and
pathological gambling severity. First European Conference on Gambling and Policy
Issues. Cambridge University, Cambridge
7. Steel, Z. P. McDonald, R. & Hornsey, J. (1995) NSW hospitalisation and community
management of NESB migrants with mental disorders. Fifth Annual Mental Health
Conference of Australia and New Zealand (THEMES). Auckland, New Zealand.
8. Blaszczynski, A. & Steel, Z.P. (1996) Impulsivity, SOGS scores and impaired control.
National Conference on Problem Gambling, Crime and Gaming Enforcement.
Criminal Justices Sciences, Illinois State University.
9. Steel, Z.P., Sinnerbrink, I., Silove, D., Field, A. & Manicavasagar, V. (1996) The
social and psychological cost of seeking asylum. Second World Conference of the
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies. Jerusalem.
10. Steel, Z.P., Silove, D., McGorry, P. & Mohan, P. (1996) A causal model of
posttraumatic stress amongst Tamil asylum seekers, refugees and immigrants.
Second World Conference of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies.
11. Sandford, P., McDonald, R. & Steel, Z. (1997). Accommodation issues for people with
mental illness: A multicultural perspective. Seventh Annual Mental Health Conference
of Australia and New Zealand. (THEMES) Sydney.
12. Mitchell, P., Steel, Z. & McDonald, R. (1997). Rights to mental health care. Twenty
Ninth Annual Public Health Association Conference. Melbourne.
13. Trogrlic, T. & Steel, Z (1998). Providing mental health services to culturally diverse
rural communities, 1998 New South Wales Rural Mental Health Conference, Ballina.
14. Steel, Z., Jones, J., Adcock, S., Clancy, R., Bridgford-West, L., & Austin, J. (1998).
Why the high rate of dropout from individualised cognitive-behaviour therapy for
bulimia nervosa ? Twenty first National Conference of the Australian Association for
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Adelaide.
15. Bridgford-West, L., Adcock, S., Clancy, R., Jones, J., Austin, J. & Steel, Z. (1998).
From research trials to clinic: can research outcomes happen in the real world?
Twenty first National Conference of the Australian Association for Cognitive
Behaviour Therapy, Adelaide.
16. Clancy, R., Steel, Z., Bridgford-West, L., Jones, J., Austin, J., & Adcock, S. (1998).
From research trials to clinic: can ocd research outcomes happen in the real world?
Twenty first National Conference of the Australian Association for Cognitive
Behaviour Therapy, Adelaide.
17. Murrell, L., Steel, Z., Gaston, J. & Proudfoot, H. (1998). Training the cognitive
behavioural therapist: the role of the psychology clinic. Twenty first National
Conference of the Australian Association for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Adelaide.
18. Blaszczynski, A., Steel, Z. Drobny, J. & Farrell, E. (1998) Predictors of compliance
and moderators of change, an integrated pathways model for pathological gamblers
and observations on gambling related completed suicides. Invited paper presented at
the Twelth National Conference on Problem Gambling, Las Vagas.
19. Trogrlic, T. & Steel, Z (1998). Providing mental health services to culturally diverse
rural communities, Fourth Transcultural Mental Health Centre Conference, Sydney.
20. Herron, J., Lee, P., Taylor, J., Steel, Z., McDonald, R., Silove, D., Minas, H., Bauman,
A. (1998). Immigrant Pathways to Specialist Mental Health Care. Fourth Transcultural
Mental Health Centre Conference, Sydney.
21. Blaszczynski, A. Steel, Z. & Drobny, J. (1999) Predictors of Treatment Compliance in
Pathological Gamblers. Ninth National Conference of the National Association for
Gambling Studies, Gold Coast, Queensland, November.
22. Stein, M., Menéndez, J., Steel, Z. (1999). Stepped care and the management of
postnatal depression. Thirty fourth congress of the Royal Australian and New Zealand
College of Psychiatrists: Minding the Brain in the 21st Century. Perth, WA April.
23. Steel, Z & Silove D (2000). Asylum seekers in the west. Third World Conference of
the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies. Melbourne, Vic, April
24. Steel Z, (2000) Mental Health Advocacy for Asylum Seekers. The Integrity of our
Shores - Asylum Seekers and Refugees in Australia . United Theological College,
16 Masons Drive, North Parramatta, 20 October 2000.
25. Steel Z (2001) The uncontrolled tide: International protectionism and the rapid
rise in asylum seekers applying for refugee status. First National Forensic
psychology conference. Wentworth Hotel, Sydney, 7-11 February 2001
26. Steel Z, Phan T, Silove D & Bauman A (2001) The Mental Health & Well Being of
the Vietnamese Community Living in Sydney. Diversity in Health Conference,
Darling Harbor, Sydney, 28-30 May 2001.
27. Steel Z, McDonald R, Sandford P, Silove D, Bauman A, Herron J, Minas H.
Pathways to first contact. Diversity in Health Conference, Darling Harbor, Sydney,
28-30 May 2001.
28. Steel Z, Evidence of severe trauma, psychological distress and despair amongst
detained asylum seekers in Australia. Amnesty International Seminar Series.
NSW State Parliament. Tuesday, 23 October, 2001.
29. The mental health and well-being of asylum seekers: Trauma, psychological
distress and despondency. Asylum seeker Symposium. Companion House,
Canberra, Thursday, 1 November 2001
30. Steel, Z. Snapshots of depression, despair and hopelessness: The mental state
of detained asylum seekers. The Refugee Convention "Where to from Here?". 6 th
to 9th December 2001 University of New South Wales.
31. Steel, Z. The effects of detention. Refugees and Trauma Conference:
Implications for Clinical Practice, NSW Institute of Psychiatry, University of New
South Wales, 23 March 2002
32. Steel, Z. International protectionism, asylum seekers, and mental health research.
TheMHS 12th Annual Mental Health Services Conference, Sydney Convention
Centre, Australia, 20-22 August 2002
33. Steel, Z. How can mental health professionals assist asylum seekers?. TheMHS
12th Annual Mental Health Services Conference, Sydney Convention Centre,
Australia, 20-22 August 2002
34. Steel, Z. How does one work with people in detention?. The Tampa One
Conference, University of Technology, Sydney, 24 & 25 August 2002.
35. Steel, Z. Asylum seekers in the Community and in Detention: An Overview. The
Refugee Health Summit, Mater Health Services, Brisbane, 12 October 2002.
36. Steel, Z. Under threat: the mental health consequences of temporary protection.
2nd National Conference of the Australian Society of Islamic Psychology: Mental
Health & Trauma: beyond the veil, University of Western Sydney, Sydney 1-2
37. Kenny MA, Silove D, Steel Z. Forced medical treatment of asylum seekers on
hunger strike in detention. 28th International Congress on Law And Mental Health,
Sydney, Australia, Sept. 28 - Oct. 3, 2003.
38. Steel, Z & Sultan A. Who's going to protect us from the Border Protectors? The
human costs of the campaign against people seeking asylum. Law, power, and
change: A National Conference of the Progressive Law Students Network, 4th -
6th Oct 2003, University of Technology, Sydney
39. Steel, Z. Addressing the needs of children in detention. Social Justice in Early
Childhood Conference. Commission for Children and Young People, 20th March
40. Steel Z. Ethics, politics and the refugee debate: Health professionals caught in
the crossfire. The Australian College of Legal Medicine Conference. 8 th May
2004, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney.
41. Steel Z. The Politics of Asylum and Immigration Detention: Advocacy, Ethics and
the Professional Role of the Therapist. Australian College of Clinical
Psychologists. CRUfAD, Sydney 21st April 2004.
42. Steel Z. Culture and Mental Health Research. Diversity Health Institute Research
Network, Transcultural Mental Health Centre April 15th 2004.
43. Steel Z. Asylum Crisis and Trauma Symposium. Trauma: Responses Across the
Life Span. NSW Institute of Psychiatry, Parramatta Sydney 16-17 September
44. Steel Z & Brooks R. Undertaking Research in Clinical Settings. South Western
Sydney Area Health Services Psychologists Forum, Bankstown, 14 th June 2004
45. Steel Z. The Ethics of Refugee Research: Dilemmas and Solutions Forum.
MGSM Conference Centre, Macquarie University. 22nd-23rd June 2004
46. Steel, Z & Frommer, N. Refugee Men, Injustice and Anger. National Refugee
Men's Health Forum in Sydney, NSW Department of Health. 6 September, 2004.
47. Steel Z. Refugee Health Information. United Medical Protection/UNSW Medsoc
Symposium. Sydney Children’s Hospital. Sydney. 20th September 2004.
48. Steel Z. Protection on the Line: Trauma, Refugees, and the Forensic Intersection.
APS College of Clinical Psychologists: National Clinical Psychology Conference
4-5th October 2004. Sydney.
49. Steel Z. Research in Detention. International Association of Bioethics the 7th
World Congress of Bioethics, Sydney Forum, 12th November 2004, Sydney
50. Steel, Z. Silove DM. Abuse, anger, and injustice: pathological anger reactions
amongst refugee and post-conflict populations .7th International Conference for
Health and human Rights, Vadodara, Gujarat, INDIA. 2-5th February, 2005
51. Steel Z, Silove D, Giao NM, Bateman C. Psychiatric Epidemiology in Post-Conflict
Societies - Some Australian Initiatives 40th Congress of the Royal Australian and
New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, Darling Harbor, Sydney 22nd May – 26th
52. Steel Z. The application of psychiatric research to advance and promote human
rights. 40th Congress of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of
Psychiatrists, Darling Harbor, Sydney 22nd May – 26th May, 2005
53. Steel, Z. Researching Detention. Researching Refugee Health in Australia
Conference. La Trobe University, Melbourne, 16th – 17th June 2005
54. Bateman C, Soosay I, Rogers J, Steel Z, Silove DM. Mental Health Research in Post
Conflict Countries: Experiences from East Timor. Royal College of Psychiatrist
Annual Conference, Edinburgh, 2005
Invited keynote addresses:
55. Steel Z & Silove D (2000). Poisoned Milk: Applying for asylum in Australia. IKME-
Symposium 2000: Traumatizations of Refugees and Asylum Seekers: The Impact of
the Political, Social and Health Care Context. Kuppelsaal, Universität Bern ,19 - 20
May 2000 Bern, Switzerland.
56. Steel Z. (2000) Beyong PTSD: Towards a more Adequate Understanding of the
Multiple Effects of Complex Trauma. IKME-Symposium 2000: Traumatizations of
Refugees and Asylum Seekers: The Impact of the Political, Social and Health Care
Context. Kuppelsaal, Universität Bern, 19 - 20 May 2000 Bern, Switzerland.
57. Steel, Z. Asylum Seekers and their Helpers. Second International Conference on
Stress, Trauma and Coping in Emergency Services and Allied Professions CSID.
Hilton on the Park, Melbourne, 14-18 August, 2002
58. Steel, Z. The anxious wait: Asylum seekers in Australia. Anxiety in Wild South West.
Liverpool Hospital 12th August 2002.
59. Steel, Z. The mental health of asylum seekers in Australia, Darwin Refugee Health
Network Symposium, July 12, 2002, Mal Mairn auditorium, Northern Territory
60. Steel, Z. Applying for Asylum in Australia. Without prejudice: Access and Equity a
Service Guarantee, Local Government Community Services Association NSW State
Conference, Macquarie Graduate School of Management, 13–15 November 2002.
61. Steel, Z. The politics of exclusion and denial the mental health costs of Australia’s
refugee policy. Key note address. 38th Congress Royal Australian and New Zealand
College of Psychiatrists, Hobart, 12 –15 May, 2003.
62. Steel, Z. Human Writes. The Law Institute of Victoria Administrative Law and Human
Rights Section. 20th April 2005. Law Institute of Victoria, Melbourne.
63. Steel, Z. Researching Detention. Researching Refugee Health in Australia
Conference, 16-17 June 2005, La Trobe University. Victoria.