BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
September 20, 2011
Committee members and parents of Boy Scout Troop 61 met on
Tuesday, Sept 20th, at Peace Community Church.
The following were in attendance:
Chuck Devier, Tom Flynt, Gerri Flynt, Soraya Lalmansingh, Ed Van
Reet, Shailender Reddy, James Pavlovsky, Khwaja Tanzeem, Mike
Viator, Tom Shaughnessy, Jean Edwards, Ron Embry.
Tom Flynt started the meeting at approximately 7:17 pm.
Gerri : Meeting Minutes from 05/11 were approved.
Soraya Lalmansingh-reported Troop Account balance is $3,030.38. The
change of banks has not happened at this time and will get together with
Chuck to choose a bank that does not charge fees for a non-profit group. The
committee had discussed three other banks last spring.
Scout Master Report:
Chuck Devier reported the scouts had a successful summer and all but one
scout attended a summer camp.
Chuck reported 8 scouts attended the Jr. Leadership Training class and plan
to pursue other opportunities. Chuck also wants to make Ahmer Tanzeem
and Peter Flynt Jr. Asst. Scoutmasters. He also said T61 will be sending
Alex Embry, Evan Pavlovsky, and Josue Vasquez to Camp Brosig at
Christmas vacation for Leadership Training.
Upcoming event for October 7th-9th will be the Lion’s Club Bike Ride and
camping trip. Chuck D., Mike and James P. will be in charge. Ten scouts
have signed up for this event at this time.
Due to the Wild Fire Alert Chuck has reserved slots at County Parks as
most of the Boy Scout Campgrounds are closed. At this time no propane or
fire of any kind will be allowed.
Also in October a Work day will be planned for Peace Community Church.
The grounds will need to be cleaned up, the benches around the Fire pit need
attention and the fire pit itself needs to be cleaned. Pine needles on the roof
of the trailer needs to be removed etc.
A Court of Honor will be scheduled for October.
Also PCC needs to do some painting inside the facility but it has not been
decided to what extent involvement of the church members, youth groups or
scout program will be included.
November schedule is not final at this time but PCC will have their annual
Fall Meal Deal and need T61 to help. (Great service hours)
Chuck is also thrilled to report three new boy scouts and one adult have
joined our troop. He also said Webelo’s will be attending the Scout Meeting
December’s camping trip will be to the Lexington. Reservation and initial
deposit has been placed.
Summer Camp plans will include an in-council summer camp and a private
trip to Colorado for some high adventure fun for the scouts. Plans to be
developed. These plans are new, last year we talked about attending a Sea
Many thanks to the Scouts who helped with the Cub Scout Rallys!
Chuck announced the Asst. Scoutmaster’s have written job descriptions and
will be taking on most of the responsibilities as needed.
Chuck and committee would like to have a Parents Meeting in October.
Chuck also plans to start an Alumni Eagle Scout Facebook Page for T61.
This will be a great mentoring program for the scouts and possibly financial
support in the way of donations from the alumni.
Chuck would like everyone to be aware he has a new e-mail address for
Chuck has requested that all parents meet in the room to the left of the
entrance. He wants the Scouts to meet with Mentors without parental
participation. Please allow the Scouts to follow the opening and closing
Chuck may be reached by phone Direct-713-818-2258 or e-mail
Advancement Chair Report:
Shailender Reddy reported the software program is ready and is still
working on a host. He is to discuss with Khwaja the domain registration and
host. Scouts and parents will be sent passwords so they can view their scout
records. His program also will allow general information in a website type to
be easily accessed.
Fundraising Chair Report:
Raquel Vasquez and Alia Khan unable to attend as they are at a Popcorn
Training program for the Popcorn Fundraiser.
Tom Flynt inquired about the Flag Fundraiser suggested by Mike Viator
and Mike gave a report to the committee. His research proves it would be
very profitable and easy for our troop to participate. He will finalize
research with his subdivision and report next month.
Tom Shaughnessy reported all tents and equipment are good. Tom reported
that each patrol will have a quartermaster for better accountability of tents
Gerri reported she needs to be informed of new scouts and adults to the
troop and need contact information for them as they need to receive the T61
handbook and policies and be told what the membership fee is and what is
included for their payment. Chuck is delaying collecting from the three new
scouts and adult at this time and is waiting for December recharter but has
issued items to them. This is a different procedure from the past.
Health and Safety Chair:
Jean Edwards reports she did not receive the health forms for the scouts
that attended Philmont this summer. It was determined that Becky Speller
still has possession of them. Perhaps Chuck or Tom S. could get them at a
rounttable meeting. She said it is difficult to get everything from parents
and does not want to have to ask all the parents for new paperwork.
Merit Badge Counselor Chair:
Ed Van Reet reported he has sent out Fall Merit Badge opportunites for the
Natural History Musem to the troop and will send another update soon. He
reports the Copperhead District will be offering Merit Badge Training to
Merit Badge Counselors. It is a 30 minute course and will explain how to
interpret requests Merit Badge Requirements make of scouts. They will
explain what it means to demonstrate, discuss etc. This is geared to
MBCounselors so they do not over or under teach the subject.
Camping Co-Ordinator Chair:
Ron Embry does not have any news to report at this time other than the
Wild Fire Alert has many Boy Scout Campgrounds closed. Also noted that
all campgrounds Scout or Public will not allow any propane or live fires so
meals will be cold unless electricity is available.
Committee Chair Report:
Tom Flynt inquired about the trailer that was for sale and was told it is
still available and price may be negotialable.
Tom also inquired about the T61 Scout Handbook that the committee
approved this past July. Doug Jordan was not present and is in charge of
this endeavor. Maybe we will have a report next month as to the status of the
new T61 Scout hand book. We would like to have them available for the
Parent Meeting in October.
Tom reminded the members of the Committee that elections for the
Committee will be held next month, October 4th. All positions are
The meeting ended at 8:40.
Committee Members are reminded of the upcoming events:
September 28th Scout Meeting
October 4th COMMITTEE ELECTIONS
Troop Calendar: http://www.my troop61.org