STANDARD GRADE DRAMA EVALUATION OF OTHERS
1. Please state what performance/production you saw, where, when and who performed
it/theatre company etc.
2. Give a BRIEF outline of the story/plot.
3. State your overall feelings/thoughts about the play.
4. Discuss IN DETAIL each of the headings below. Comment on what you liked
EXPLAINING WHY. Comment on what you dislike. EXPLAIN-WHY. Give examples of
moments you enjoyed/'hated.
EVERY TIME YOU MAKE A STATEMENT, YOU MUST JUSTIFY IT, 'BACK IT UP'
WITH AN EXAMPLE. IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO SAY YOU LIKED THE COSTUME,
YOU MUST SAY WHY YOU LIKED IT. Were the character relationships believable?
ACTING - include items like believability (CHARACTERISATION), realism, VOICE
(PACE, PITCH, TONE, VOLUME/PROJECTION, ACCENT,, EMPHASIS, INTONATION,
MOVEMENT (WALK, POSTURE. GESTURES, FACIAL EXPRESSION,
CHOREOGRAPHY). Eye contact, focus, concentration.
THEATRE ARTS LIGHTING - STROBE/UV/PROFILE SPOTLIGIITS/FRESNELS/
GELS/GOBOS. SOUND - LIVE MUSIC/SOUND EFFECTS/VOICE OVERS.
PROPS - WHAT WAS USED? EFFECTIVE? WHY?
COSTUME - WHAT? WAS IT EFFECTIVE? DESCRIBE? WHY?
SET - WHAT WAS USED, DESCRIBE, WAS IT EFFECTIVE? WHY? MAKE UP - IF
USED, SPECIAL EFFECT? NATURALISTIC? EFFECTIVE? WHY? SPECIAL EFFECTS
E.G. PYROTECHNICS. FILM PROJECTION.
5. STATE WHAT CONVENTIONS WERE USED. THEY EFFECTIVE? WHY/ STATE
WHAT FORM THE PRODUCTION WAS E.G. play form, mime, dance drama, chat show
etc. WAS IT EFFECTIVE? WHY?
6. OTHER THINGS YOU MAY WISH TO MENTION:
• MOOD & ATMOSPHERE WITHIN SCENES. DRAMATIC MOMENTS ETC_
• TENSION USED IN THE PLAY (EFFECTIVE? WHY)
• THE VENUE/AUDITORIUM (NICE PLACE? SUITABLE FOR THE PLAY?
WHY? WHY NOT?)
7. CONCLUSION: A summary of your main points. Round up your overall comments about
SG DRAMA EVALUATION OF OTHERS CHECKLIST
1. Basic introduction: type of presentation, drama form, number-in cast.-target-_ audience,
location of theatre etc. Always justify your choices.
2. Storyline: Clear, concise summary of storyline including the main key characters involved.
3. You may discuss any conventions which were used and whether they were effective or not.
Similarly, there may have been pieces of direction/movement/images created on stage which
you think were particularly effective. Describe these and explain why you liked them/disliked
4. Select an actress/actor who you think performed very well or very badly. Explain in detail
the performance e.g. use of voice, movement, and believability. Did they engage the
audience, hold their attention, were they entertaining? WHY??
5. Theatre arts: Mention briefly the theatre arts used but select 2 main categories or effects
which you think worked particularly well or particularly badly. Theatre Arts include: PROPS,
MAKE-UP, SOUND, COSTUME, SET, and LIGHTING. You may also talk about special
effects such as pyrotechnics, smoke machines etc.
6. Make sure you use the correct terminology e.g. gels, gobos, blocking, masking, tone,
7. Conclusion: give overall summary of the points, whether generally you liked it or not and
what the general audience reaction was. You may give suggestions for improvements
REMEMBER, THIS IS AN EVALUATION NOT AN OPPORTUNITY TO RETELL THE
STORY CLEARLY STATE WHAT YOU LIKED/DISLIKED AND EXPLAIN WHY.
GIVE EXAMPLES. EXPLAIN YOURSELF CLEARLY!!!