LUIS FELIPE POLO
- Michigan University. Michigan Business School. Course: “Management of Managers”. Ann Arbor,
Michigan, United States. 2004.
- Harvard University. Harvard Business School, Executive Education. Course: “Strategic Human
Resource Management”. Boston, MS. United Sates. 2004
- INCAE. International course: “Project Evaluation and Financial Structuring”. Nicaragua. 2004.
- INCAE. International course: “Finance and Accounting for the No Financial Executive”. Honduras.
- Graduate Institute of International Studies. Post degree course on "International Humanitarian Law."
Geneva, Switzerland. 2000
- Columbia University of New York. Specialization in Human Rights, International Law of the Human
Rights, and Prisoners Rights. Visiting Scholar. 1993
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú. Bachelor of Arts and Law Faculty. 1990.
Professional/Academic Honors and Awards:
- Degree of “Chevalier of the Academics Palms”. Government of France. 2004.
- International Recognition as the Defender of Human Rights. Congress of the Republic of Ecuador.
Congress Agreement 2001
- Advisor of the Vice President of the Republic of Guatemala Dr. Eduardo Stein. From February 2005.
Responsible of Human Rights and Indigenous Rights policies. Liaison between the Executive and
Legislative powers. General Coordinator of the National Counsel for the Criminal Prevention of the
Young people (CONAPREPI). General Coordinator of the special team of the creation of the Secretary
of the Family. Executive Director of the “National Commission of the Social Reconciliation with Social
Participation of the Young people in prisons”, the president of this commission is Ms. Wendy de
Berger, President Wife’s. Member, Cabinet of the President of the Republic.
- Project Director. Rafael Landívar University. August - December 2004. Project supervisor of
infrastructure. Searching of funds for projects. Project elaboration and negotiation.
- General Director (President). Universidad Rafael Landívar. Campus de Quetzaltenango. Schools 8,
Careers 26, Masterships 3, students 5,000, faculty and personnel staff 350. 2001-2004. Guatemala.
Development of new careers such as the career of Education and news masters programs.
Systemized all of the administrative processes. Signed agreements with other Universities of America
and Europe. Built new buildings with offices and classes. Curricular renovation. Introduced the course
of Human Rights to most of the Schools. Home of the Interuniversity Diploma in Human Rights for
Central America and the Caribbean.
- Instituto de Investigaciones Jurídicas (IIJ) (Juridical Researcher Institute) of the Rafael Landívar
University. Executive Director. Guatemala. 1999-2000. Published monthly “legal notebooks” related to
CV Luis Felipe Polo
Página de 5 1
social and legal topics. Developed several consultancies on the topics of justice, corruption and human
- United Nations Organization. Misión de Verificación de las Naciones Unidas en Guatemala (Mission
Verification of the United Nations in Guatemala) MINUGUA. Political Affairs Officer. Regional
Coordinator in Escuintla and Quetzaltenango offices. National and international staff 300. Guatemala.
1995 - 1998. Disclosed the Peace Agreements and the verification of their fulfillment. Created several
work groups, Rights of the indigenous towns, Working Children, Rights of Women.
-Oficina Latinoamericana de Derechos Humanos del Periodista (OFIP) [Human Rights Latin American
Office for the Journalists]. Executive Director. Defender in charge of human rights for the journalists
accused of political crimes in Latin America. Peru. 1994. Presented resources to demonstrate the
innocence of journalist accused of terrorists. Liberated several journalists that were in prison. Was
candidate of the Reebok price of Human Rights.
- Human Rights Watch, Project for Prisons. Visiting Investigator. Co-author of the World Report on
Prisons. New York. United States. 1993.
- Lawyers Committee for Human Rights. Latin America and the Caribbean. Visiting-Researcher on
Human Rights. Pursuit in human rights cases. New York. United States 1993.
- Human Rights Watch, Americas. Visiting Researcher of Human Rights. Co-author of the special
informs in countries whit human rights problems. Washington D.C. United States. 1992.
- Andean Commission of Jurists. Researcher. Protection Area of Human Rights and Narcotraffic Area.
Analysis and publishing of special informs. Peru. 1990-1991.
- Peruvian Government. Peruvian Representative before the United States Government in placing
affects the Bilateral Treaty on the Completion of Sentences. Peru. 1989-1990.
- Penitentiary National Institute. Chair, Cabinet of the Advisors of the President. Peru. 1989 - 1990
- Ministry of Justice. Advisor on Labor Rights and Human Rights. Peru. 1989.
- Labor Ministry and Social Promotion. Sistema Nacional de Propiedad Social (SINADEPS) [National
System of Social Property]. Advisor of High Leadership of the President, in charge of the relationships
of the rural communities, for support in the foundation of self-management enterprises. 1986-1987.
- Peruvian National Congress. Executive Attendant of Senator César Delgado Barreto, in charge of
the institution relationships of the office to the rural community is representatives. Peru. 1985 - 1986:
- Executive Director of the Project "Latin American Human Rights Education and Research Network.
York University and AUSJAL. 2004. Elaboration of the project for 6 years with funding by CIDA.
Creation of working networks in Latin America.
- Regional Coordinator of the Interuniversity Diploma of Human Rights. AUSJAL – IIDH. Specialist in
the course of “The access of Justice of the Indigenous People”. 2003-2004. Responsible of the
development like specialist the curse: “The Indigenous Population and the Access of the Justice”.
- External Advisor of Instituto Interamericano de Derechos Humanos (IIDH) [Interamerican Institute of
- Organization of American States OAS. External advisor for Central America. Specialty: "Protection
Mechanisms for People that Inform Will Good Corruption Acts." 2001. Author of the model law “People
that denounce, out of good faith, corruption acts”.
- Commission of Justice Strengthener created by the Peace Agreements. Advisor Sub Commission
Habeas Corpus. Development of the Habeas Corpus Law framed in the international law of human
rights. Guatemala. 2000. Law reforms obtained.
CV Luis Felipe Polo
Página de 5 2
- IDEA (Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance), International consultant 2000. Program
evaluator for Guatemala and Central America, the lines of work were changed.
- Instituto Interamericano de Derechos Humanos (IIDH) [Interamerican Institute of the Human Rights].
International Electoral Observer.
- Dialogue Commissioner between the Government and the National Coordination of Human Rights.
Jails Counselor. Peru, to oversee the fulfillment of national and international standards in the manners
for prisoners. Peru. 1994
Principal Media Issues Experience
Host and Director of the Television Program Landivar Democratic Forum (July 2003 to July 2004) aired
weekly in Quetzaltenango, it features interviews with personalities to treat enonomical, social, political
and cultural topics. Articles in the newspaper “El Quetzalteco” (since May 2003) every 15 days in the
section “A look at the world”. Analitical focus international and national. Member of the National
Association of Peru since 1993. Published his first article of opinion at the age of 18 in the newspaper
“La Republica“ of Lima Peru.
Principal Teaching Experience:
- Workshops Professor of the 19th Interdisciplinary Course on Human Rights. San Jose, Costa Rica.
- Rafael Landivar University Professor: "Introduction on the Study of Human Rights", "Constitutional
Law I and II", "State Theory", and "Penal Law I and II" in the Faculty of Law. Professor of:
"Globalization and Human Rights", Master's Degree on Territorial Conditioning, Local Development
and Tourism; "Philosophical Foundation on Human Rights", and "Economical, Social and Cultural
Rights in the National and International Field" Master's Degree on Human Rights.
Books and Studies:
- "Problema Carcelario: Responsabilidad de Todos" Prison Problem: Everybody's Responsibility, Study
Notebooks of the Juridical Investigation Institute, 6-7 issues, 2000.
- "Los Derechos Humanos: Patrimonio de la Humanidad." Human Rights: Mankind Patrimony." Study
Notebooks of the Juridical Investigation Institute, 4 issues, 2000.
- "Propuestas para un cambio de la Política Penal Penitenciaría en Guatemala." Proposal for a change
on the Political Penal Prison in Guatemala." Juridical Magazine. Juridical Investigation Institute.
- "Una Aproximación a la "barbarie" de los Linchamientos en Guatemala." An Approach to the
"barbarism" of the Lynching in Guatemala". Study Notebooks of the Juridical Investigation Institute, 1
- "Fundamentos Filosóficos de los Derechos Humanos." Philosophical Fundamentals of Human
Rights. Book. Guatemala 2000.
- "Análisis Comparativo del Código de Menores con la Convención sobre los Derechos del Niño y la
Constitución de la República de Guatemala." A Comparative Analysis of the Youth Code with the
Convention on the Children Rights and the Guatemalan Constitution Co-author. Guatemala, 1999.
Articles in books and specialized publishes:
CV Luis Felipe Polo
Página de 5 3
- "Los Derechos Humanos en el Mundo Globalizado” Human Rights in the Globalize World. "Perú
Económico" magazine. 2003.
- "Las Constituciones Latinoamericanas y la Ratificación del Estatuto de Roma" Latin American
Constitutions and the Approval of Rome Statute. Latin American Constitutional Rights Yearbook, 2002.
- "Fundamentos Filosóficos de los Derechos Humanos” Philosophical Fundamentals on Human Rights.
On Line articles. Unit of Investigation and Publishing Rafael Landivar University, Quetzaltenango.
- "Los Derechos Culturales y los Derechos Humanos” Cultural Rights and Human Rights. "Person and
Society" Alberto Hurtado University journal, Chile 2001.
- "El Derecho Constitucional y la Protección de los Derechos Humanos de las Personas Privadas de la
Libertad en Latinoamerica” Constitutional Rights and the Protection of Prisoners Human Rights in Latin
America. An essay for the Latin American Constitutional Rights Yearbook, 2000.
- "Los Derechos Humanos en el Orden Constitucional Guatemalteco." Human Rights in the
Guatemalan Constitutional Order. Reading Material Compiler for the Human Rights Masters degree
program. Rafael Landívar University. 2000.
- "Los Derechos Humanos y los Acuerdos de Paz” Human Rights and the Peace Agreements. Article
published in the COPREDEH magazine on the 50th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights in Guatemala. 1998.
- "Human Rights Watch Global Report on Prisons." Peru and Spain chapters. Published for the
Human Rights Watch. New York. United States. 1993.
- "Perú: Civil Society and Democracy under Fire", as Investigator. Report published for Americas'
Watch. Washington, D.C., United States. 1992.
- "The Role of Private Parties and the Media in Creating Accountability." Boston College Third World
Law Journal. Boston, Massachusetts. United States. 1992.
Articles in Newspapers:"La República” y "HOY”. Lima, Perú. "El Quetzalteco" and "El Periódico”
The Newspaper, in Guatemala.
Principal Conferences given:
- “The New Vision of the Human Rights”. United Nations Cathedra of Human Right. UCA. Nicaragua.
- “Human Rights International Law and the conflict between United States and Iraq”. San Cristóbal de
las Casas, Chiapas, México. 2003.
- “The new vision of the human rights of the 21st Century”. San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas,
- “Human Rights and the International Humanitarian Law”. Guadalajara, México. 2002.
- “Prison Problem: Responsibility of all”. Penitentiary Rights Forum. Quetzaltenango, Guatemala 2002.
- “Practice Field of International Humanitarian Law”, and “1980 Convention on Weapons”. International
Humanitarian Law Course organized by the CICR, Guadalajara, México 2002.
- “Human Rights Educational Strategies”. Seminar on Human Rights Teaching. York University,
Toronto, Canada. 2002.
- “Philosophical Fundamentals on Human Rights”. International Seminar. “Los Derechos Humanos:
Siglo XXI, su Universalidad y la Paz." Human Rights: 21st Century, it is Universality and the Peace.
Top Committee on Human Rights. United Nations Program for the development and defense of the
Guayas People, Guayaquil, Ecuador. 2001.
CV Luis Felipe Polo
Página de 5 4
- “Protection Mechanisms for People that Inform Good Will Corruption Acts”. Guatemala, Honduras,
El Salvador y Nicaragua, as OAS consulter. 2001.
- “Convergences and Divergences between the Human Rights and the International Humanitarian
Law”, and “Upper Education and the International Right of the Human Rights and the International
Humanitarian Law. Basic Guide Proposal”. Managua, Nicaragua. Red Cross International Committee.
- “Trends and challenges of the university role and the human rights at the end of the millennium.
Problems in its involvement, analysis and praxis”. Teacher’s seminar on human rights. Central America
and Mexico. Mexico D.F. 2001.
- “Constitutional Rights and the Protection of Human Rights on Prisoners in Central America”. IIDH.
San José, Costa Rica. 2000.
- “The Death Penalty and the Guatemalan Prison Situation”. URL - IIDH. Guatemala 2000.
Others: in Guatemala; Columbia University of New York; Widener University School of Law.
Harrisburg Pennsylvania; Boston College Law School. Boston Massachusetts. United States.
CV Luis Felipe Polo
Página de 5 5