Fingerprint Exam Focus Questions
Read Textbook Chapter 14, class notes, and handouts.
1. Who created the first identification system?
2. What was the Will West case and what was its significance?
3. Do any groups or individuals like identical twins have the same prints?
4. How many points of identification are found on a single finger tip?
5. How many points of identification does an examiner need to find in order to make a
positive match or identification?
6. When do fingerprints develop?
7. Which layer of skin are the pores of our sweat glands located?
8. In order to permanently damage our fingerprints, what layer of skin must be damaged?
9. Name one historical figure who attempted to alter their fingerprints?
10. What is SAFIS?
11. What is the difference between a latent, patent, and plastic print?
12. What are the steps of chemical developers used to find fingerprints on paper?
13. What chemical process creates a white vapor that adheres to latent prints?
14. What is the next necessary step after a print is found and made visible?
15. What are the three patterns of fingerprints? Which one is the most common? Least
common? How many deltas does each have?
16. What are the major ridge endings / points of identification?