1100 Aztecs left homeland in search of new home.
1195 Aztecs arrived in Valley of Mexico.
1250 Aztecs settled near Lake Texcoco.
1325 Tenochtitlan was founded. First temple built by Aztecs.
1350 Causeways built with canals.
1370 Tenoch, Aztec Priest-Ruler, died.
Aztecs ruled by Tepanecs.
1375 Acamapichtli becomes first ruler of Aztecs.
1428 Aztecs joined forces with Texcoco & Tlacopan formed Triple
Alliance. Atzcapotzalco conquered.
1440 Moctezuma started rule.
1452 Tenochtitlan destroyed by flood. 1452-4 Famine.
1458 Moctezuma sent armies to conquer lands.
1469 Moctezuma I died.
1486 Ahuizotu became ruler.
1487 Great Temple at Tenochtitlan dedicated.
Aztecs expanded southward into Mayan territories.
1502 Moctezuma II became ruler. Aztec Empire at height.
1519 Cortez comes to Mexico. Moctezuma II killed.
1520 Cuitlahuac elected ruler.
1521 Tenochtitlan destroyed.
1522 Tenochtitlan rebuilt, named Mexico City. Declared capital of
Spanish colony of New Spain.
1. When did the Aztecs arrive in the Valley of Mexico?
2. In what year did Tenoch die?
3. What did he do?
4. Who was the first ruler of the Aztecs and in what year did he rule?
5. What happened in 1452 and what problems do you think this
caused for the Aztec people?
6. What happened in 1458 and why do you think Montezuma did
7. How many years were there between the rule of Acamapichtli and
8. In what year was the Aztec Empire at its greatest?
10. What was the name of the Spanish man who led the conquest?
11. In what year did they arrive?
12. How many years later was Tenochtitlan destroyed?
13. How many years had passed between the time Cortez arrived to
the rebuilding of Mexico City and declaring it the capital of New