GUAM MEMORIAL HOSPITAL AUTHORITY
SAFETY DEPARTMENT SPECIFICS
APPROVED RESPONSIBILITY ORIGINATION POLICY PAGE
Safety 3/26/94 6150-34 1 of 1
TITLE: CHEMO (ANTINEOPLASTIC) DRUGS
It is the policy of the Safety Department to conduct surveillance activities on the enforcement of
the handling of Chemo (Antineoplastic) Drugs.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires that no person shall handle,
prepare, reconstitute, or administer CD’s including CD waste, or CD soiled linens/beddings
without receiving proper CD orientation or training as follows:
1. Procedures and precautions for shipping and receiving CD’s and Antineoplastic agents.
2. Known hazards (risks) and health effects.
3. Safety handling, preparation and administration techniques and procedures.
4. Proper use of PPE’s and Respirators.
5. Medical Policy against handling, preparing, and administering CD’s by pregnant staff
members and those members trying to conceive children.
6. Non-routine task staff employee, non-CD patients and visitors must be informed of CD
Policies and required to comply.
1. The Safety Department is responsible for advising Department Heads who use CD that
training of such is a standard requirement.
2. The Safety Department is responsible to coordinate CD training through the Guam
OSHA Office who advises on schedules.
3. All department managers that needs employees to be trained must submit their names to
the Safety Office for proper scheduling with GOSHA.
Reviewed: 11/94, 9/05
Approved: 12/14/94, 9/05