Urbana & Champaign Sanitary District
Job Title: Wastewater Operations Supervisor FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Wastewater Operations Job Group: Supervisory
Division: Operations & Maintenance Job Code: 340-501011
General Summary of Position:
Supervises and coordinates the daily activities of the wastewater operations staff in their performance of
activities necessary to process an effluent that is in compliance with state and federal EPA regulations.
Coordinates and oversees the program to ensure compliance with the policies of Operations &
Maintenance. Coordinates and oversees specified contractual relationships and assists with a variety of
special projects. Position requires initiative, judgment, strong communication, and organizational skills.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordinates and oversees the wastewater operations department activities to ensure compliance with
the policies and procedures of Operations & Maintenance and the state and federal EPA. This
includes, but is not limited to:
a. Monitoring daily treatment processes and adjusting procedures to adapt to changing conditions
within either or both plants.
b. Compiling and interpreting data daily and reviewing and investigating variances.
c. Ensuring safety procedures such as confined space entries, fall protection, large equipment
operation, etc. are followed by staff.
d. Developing and maintaining positive relationships with vendors and contractors for goods and
services related to wastewater operations.
e. Estimating time and resources to accomplish tasks and projects in both planned and unplanned
2. Supervises and directs the daily activities of the wastewater operations staff in their performance of
activities including, but not limited to, operating the solids and flow sides of both plants, monitoring
processes involving activated sludge, anaerobic digestion, nitrification, clarification, filtration and
3. Coordinates the development, review, and maintenance of standard operating procedures for
wastewater operations in conjunction with the Director of Operations.
4. Develops, implements and coordinates cross-training and education programs for staff in conjunction
with Directors of Operations and Maintenance to improve and diversify staff skills and knowledge.
5. Approves leave time of staff to ensure adequate level of service within the department. Reviews,
edits, and approves time records and documentation for processing according to established
procedures. Administers collective bargaining agreement provisions.
6. Provides performance feedback and coaching on an ongoing basis to staff. Prepares and conducts
annual evaluations for staff with input from Director of Operations. Addresses performance and/or
disciplinary problems, if needed, in accordance with District policies and procedures.
7. Serves as a member of the management on-call team to respond to after-hour situations and
Wastewater Operations Supervisor Updated September 2011 Page 1 of 3
8. Provides annual budget data for specified categories as requested. May monitor expenses throughout
year and recommend budget adjustments if needed.
9. Demonstrates strong organizational and time management skills in order to meet routine assignments
or project deadlines. Demonstrates initiative and judgment to complete tasks in efficient and effective
10. Demonstrates flexibility to respond to changing situations in order to meet current needs, deadlines or
11. Organizes job functions and work area to effectively complete varied assignments within established
12. Assists with special projects upon request of management.
13. Participates in required training and educational programs and integrates learning into job role.
14. Completes specific job competencies for continued employment.
15. Performs additional duties as requested.
16. Meets and maintains scheduled attendance requirements.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
1. Work requires a thorough knowledge of the English language, business arithmetic, and a
comprehensive knowledge of wastewater treatment plant operations. College level course work in
wastewater /water treatment, chemistry, or other related fields is preferred, but not required. Position
requires a Class I Illinois Wastewater Operations license or out-of-state equivalent and the ability to
obtain an Illinois license within 6 months.
2. Work requires a minimum of 5 years previous experience in the wastewater operations at a plant of
comparable size and complexity. Previous supervisory experience of support staff is preferred.
3. Work requires proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel. Work requires ability to efficiently utilize
specialized software programs related to areas of responsibility.
4. Work requires ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions. Work requires ability
to maintain confidentiality related to work performed for District management.
5. Work requires strong interpersonal skills to supervise and delegate assignments to operations staff.
Work requires strong interpersonal skills to courteously, effectively, and tactfully communicate
and/or work with employees, vendors, and contractors.
6. Work requires strong analytical and organizational skills and attention to detail. Work requires
strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with relation to wastewater treatment. Work
requires knowledge of regulatory requirements associated with wastewater operations.
7. Work requires ability to work from blueprints, schematic drawings, and operational manuals.
8. Work requires current Class D driver’s license, a safe driving record, and the ability to be covered by
District vehicle insurance
1. Work requires ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 10 pounds on a daily basis and up to 50
pounds on an occasional basis. Work requires ability to reach and grab with arms and hands from
ankle level to overhead heights for up to 2 minutes at a time on an occasional basis. Work requires
manual dexterity in order to check equipment operation and repairs.
Document1 updated September 2011 Page 2 of 3
2. Work requires the ability to walk around plant on a daily basis. Work requires the ability to walk
over rough terrain and/or uneven surface in all types of weather conditions on an occasional basis.
3. Work requires ability to climb ladders and stairs on a daily basis.
4. Work requires the ability to bend, kneel, stoop, and maneuver in small spaces for up to 5 minutes at a
time on a weekly basis while observing staff or equipment operation.
5. Work requires ability to proofread and check documents for accuracy on an ongoing basis.
6. Work requires the ability to use a keyboard and video display terminal to enter, transform, receive,
retrieve, and/or audit information and data on an ongoing basis.
7. Work requires ability to communicate verbally with internal and external contacts on an ongoing
8. Work requires sufficient visual and auditory acuity to interact with and communicate with others.
1. Reports to the Director of Operations.
2. Responsibility for leading or supervising the work of wastewater operations staff.
1. Approximately 30% of time is spent in a normal office environment where there are relatively few
discomforts due to temperature, dirt, noise, or odors. Approximately 70% of time is spent in various
locations at both plants that will result in exposure to extremes in temperatures, inclement weather
conditions, loud noises, odors, and other situations associated with wastewater treatment operations.
Document1 updated September 2011 Page 3 of 3