Public Safety Partnership Project (PSPP) / Mobility SSG#02_015
for Emergency and Safety Applications (MESA)
Service Specification Group (SSG)
Mesa, Arizona, USA; 31st January – 1st February 2001
Source: SSG Secretary
Title: Summary Report from 2nd PSPP/MESA SSG Meeting, Mesa,
Arizona, USA 31st January – 1st February 2001
Agenda item: All
Document for: Decision
APCO International Glen Nash +1 916 657 9454 email@example.com
APCO/Suffolk Co. PD Vincent Stile +1 631 852 6431 firstname.lastname@example.org
B.A.P.C.O. Graham Curry +44 1772 862666 email@example.com
Copenhagen Fire Brigade Jens Behrens +45 3366 4933 firstname.lastname@example.org
Copenhagen Fire Brigade Kurt Christensen +45 3366 4966 email@example.com
E.F. Johnson John Oblak +1 507 835 6276 firstname.lastname@example.org
FBI Delwyn Hunkley +1 703 632 6722 email@example.com
FBI Harrison Reves +1 703 632 6712 firstname.lastname@example.org
FLEWUG/U.S. Treasury Julio "Rick" Murphy +1 703 279 2013 email@example.com
IFR Bill Steffy +1 316 529 5233 firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Mesa Don Pfohl +1 480 644 3166 email@example.com
Motorola Alan Dearlove +33 4 9366 3706 firstname.lastname@example.org
Motorola Wayne Leland +1 218 838 8425 email@example.com
Motorola Larry Nyberg +1 847 576 7827 firstname.lastname@example.org
Motorola A/S Steffen Ring +45 43 48 83 62 email@example.com
NIJ/U.S. Dept. of Justice Celeste Descoteaux +1 202 305 1871 firstname.lastname@example.org
NPSTC Tom Tolman +1 303 871 4190 email@example.com
NPSTC Marilyn Ward +1 407 836 9118 firstname.lastname@example.org
NTIA/ITS Eldon Haakinson +1 303 497 5304 email@example.com
NTIA Don Speights +1 202 482 1726 firstname.lastname@example.org
Orbacom Systems Richard Frye +1 856 829 4455 email@example.com
Phoenix Fire Department Andy MacFarlane +1 602 262 7814 firstname.lastname@example.org
PITO, UK Ian Thompson +44 7718 805 804 email@example.com
Project 25/34 Craig Jorgensen +1 801 583 1099 firstname.lastname@example.org
P25 SC/Univ. of Calif. John Powell +1 510 643 8988 email@example.com
SPAWAR-SD Joe Loughlin +1 619 553 4907 firstname.lastname@example.org
SPAWAR-SD Mike Reaves +1 619 553 6839 email@example.com
TTA Bong Kuk Lee +82 2 723 7075 firstname.lastname@example.org
UK Home Office Ray Ginman +44 207 217 8106 email@example.com
ETSI Claire d'Esclercs +33 492 94 43 83 firstname.lastname@example.org
TIA Yvonne Rosado +1 703 907 7555 email@example.com
TIA John Derr +1 202 383 1497 firstname.lastname@example.org
SA02_015 report Page 1 of 6
1 Opening; Introduction of the SSG Chair and Vice Chairs
The SSG Meeting was called to order by Chair Craig Jorgensen, who began the scheduled
meeting at 13h25 on Wednesday, 31 January 2001. No members had volunteered to record
summary notes so John Derr was designated as SSG Secretary for the second meeting.
The Chair expressed appreciation on behalf of all SSG members to the City of Mesa, the Mesa
City Manager, and Don Pfohl and his staff and the Phoenix Fire Department (Andy MacFarlane
and colleagues) for their kind invitation and hospitality in hosting the second meeting of
PSPP/Project MESA. Mr. Jorgensen also extended a warm welcome to Bong Kuk Lee from the
Telecommunications Technology Association (TTA) of Korea, who had joined the second
meeting as an observer.
The Chair asked both SSG Vice-Chairs to provide opening remarks. Mr. Andy MacFarlane
(Phoenix Fire Department) noted that users in this valley were very excited to be participating in
PSPP with efforts presently continuing to recruit local police officers and EMS (emergency
medical services) operations. Ray Ginman, British Home Office, noted from the user point of
view the importance of thinking about organizational structures and how they might appear in
5-10 years. Delegates were encouraged to consider how many operations in the future would
require remote control video and asked “what’s really missing, how can we make our operations
more efficient?” It was noted there is a unique opportunity to look forward a few years and see
how the constraints may be lifted.
2 Introduction of SSG Members
Following the comments from the SSG Vice Chairs, a round of self-introductions followed.
3 Adoption of the Agenda and List of Input Documents
It was noted there might be some changes in agenda, to allow for breakouts meeting with
representatives of fire services and law enforcement services. These task groups were being
created to discuss and begin documenting Project MESA applications and service requirements.
Those breakout sessions were not pre-scheduled but did occur during the SSG discussions. A
motion was made, seconded and passed unanimously to accept the agenda as amended for
4 Review of Summary Report of SSG#01
A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to accept the summary report of
SSG#01, SSG#01_08 from the inaugural meeting at ETSI on 25 October 2000.
5 Introduction and Review of New PSPP Statement of Requirements (SoR)
Mr. Ian Thompson provided a brief overview from the U.K. Police Information Technology
Organisation (PITO), distributed as SSG#02_005. The following question was considered:
Should public safety and ‘natural resource management’ apply to the utility companies
i.e., electricity and gas suppliers, whether public or private enterprises?
During consideration of this question, the concept of what national and international regulatory
philosophy should be used in light of our need to reconcile the difference between publicly vs.
SA02_015 report Page 2 of 6
privately owned utilities, given the respective services/applications are similar. ACTION
REQUIRED: (Dearlove/Ginman/Murphy/Nash/Stile/Thompson)--After further discussion, at
the suggestion of the Chair, there was agreement for an Ad Hoc group to be formed consisting
of Messrs. Dearlove, Ginman, Murphy, Nash, Stile and Thompson to consider this matter and
present a SSG recommendation the following day. [Secretary’s note: On February 1, prior to the
closing of the SSG meeting, John Powell presented the recommended language for utility
involvement in PSPP, which may be found in SSG#02_014].
5.1 Prepare Draft Recommendations to SC Chair on Distribution of SoR Requirements to
Specific Technical Specification Groups (TSGs)—Documents SSG#02_003, 005/009, 006,
007, 008 and 010 were reviewed under this agenda item, with extensive discussions following.
Selected highlights of some of these discussions are referenced below.
The Chair noted that SSG#02_003 is a zip file relevant to the second draft version of the SoR,
with SSG#02_007 being a letter of transmittal from the Chair to Ms. d’Esclercs in the ETSI
Secretariat containing additional comments from Mr. Thompson (PITO) found in SSG#02_009
(minor update with formatting changes to PITO comments in 005). Also included as
SSG#02_006 is a letter from Eldon Haakinson (NTIA/ITS Boulder) regarding a joint submission
made by Mr. Haakinson and Ms. Celeste Descoteaux [U.S. National Institute of Justice (NIJ)]
pertaining to replacing the existing SoR with a new, more simplified version. This submission is
The Chair reported that SSG#02_008 is a Revision #3 of the SoR that now includes all the
comments received on the second draft from SSG#02_009 (PITO) and 010 (NTIA/ITS and NIJ).
Upon review of the PITO comments found in –009, it was noted that paragraph 1 of Section 2
was changed to reflect concern, as was the case for the proposed Section III, Paragraph C
changes. There were no objections noted to the proposed changes in Section III, Paragraphs
P,Q and S. ACTION REQUIRED: (MacFarlane, Powell, Thompson)--On the suggestion of Mr.
MacFarlane, it was agreed Messrs. Powell, Thompson and MacFarlane would confer to work out
a reasonable set of statements to be included with the next SoR revision. The Chair reported
that the requested European Union changes had been accomplished but required additional
guidance on how to incorporate the PITO comments referenced in the Conclusion section of
009, with regard to TETRA radio/GSM mobile telephone. Ray Ginman noted that a European
safety committee was involved with this much as an expert subcommittee within TIA TR-8 is
reviewing similar matters in the U.S. with regard to interference. ACTION REQUIRED: (All)—
This item to be further addressed in the next SoR revision after additional collaboration.
SC Chair Steffen Ring noted that both SoR document provided valuable input to the process with
the suggestion that future versions of the baseline information could be accessed in a more
condensed manner. One suggestion along these lines would be to convert the narrative parts
of the document to a more condensed format and use the document as a first step in the
process to move forward and create specific work items for the TSGs.
Alan Dearlove highlighted that the evolving version of the SoR would reflect both US and
European perspectives initially; moving further afield to other global regions as the membership
expands. The suggestion was made that a comparison of applications and services are
needed in the SoR that would help determine the parameters and ranges of erlangs needed for
wideband data, thereby providing the data necessary to create reasonable accurate spectrum
After further discussion, the SSG Chair noted there were 2 options, to create a new SoR, or to
revise one of the current versions of the SoR. Mr. Ginman suggested that options needed to be
considered in light of how best to move the process forward. Mr. MacFarlane noted that one
challenge was trying to construct a PSPP/MESA SoR document based on another foundational
SA02_015 report Page 3 of 6
document (Project 25/34 SoR) with an earlier purpose in mind. There was agreement the NIJ
document was useful, that there were common areas that may be identified. One consideration
noted going forward was to decide on practice or on jurisdiction? How do we use input
documents and how or who approves them in the MESA format.
One approach identified from the fire service perspective was to consider firefighting structural
and remove from EMS (on street) or wildlands. The narratives seemed quite reasonable, but
clearly needs to become less U.S. centric. Within this discussion, Mr. Powell noted the SoR by
design needs to be a technical document within a generalized structure. It is not a detailed
technology specification but rather a detailed list or user requirements, each of which would be
supplanted by a detailed standard or technology specification. The Chair stressed the SSG
needs to provide the TSGs a detailed and descriptive list of requirements to ensure the TSGs
have the specific information they require to build upon. He further noted there appeared to be
room to improve the document based on what NTIA/NIJ was proposing. Mr. Dearlove described
situations in the South of France where small villages carry out essentially all emergency
responsibilities within their domain with no differentiation between police/fire applications. Ms.
Descoteaux noted the same type of scenario existed in the rural United States. Mr. Haakinson
mentioned the description of agencies and tasks they perform are fine in an appendix, with the
first draft trying logically to go through individual agencies and identify their requirements.
ACTION REQUIRED: (All Members)--Mr. MacFarlane summarized this discussion, that the
intent is to remove as much repetitive information as possible, with the goal of having by the
next meeting a revision that will reflect the good work of NTIA/NIJ, and result in a good
consolidated document. There was agreement to move ahead in this direction. The Chair
agreed to do a re-write and work with NTIA in developing additional narrative descriptions. (Note
5.2 Presentation from Copenhagen Fire Brigade--Jens Behrens and Kurt Christenssen
provided an illustrative PowerPoint presentation from the Copenhagen Fire Brigade, The IP
Firefighter, SSG#02_004. It was noted that remote monitoring capabilities are of high
importance, with a significant amount of sensors, small devices on the network. The SSG Chair
noted the presentation with appreciation and stressed that real life requirements such as those
highlighted by the Copenhagen Fire Brigade were of great assistance in helping to create a
pertinent, viable SoR that comes alive.
6 Discuss the Need and Potential Work Assignments Necessary to Fast Track a
Wideband PSPP Specification to Satisfy the Needs of TETRA II and the USA 700 MHz
Band Data Requirement
It was noted this item was previously addressed in part under item 5.1 and would be further
addressed in the future.
7 Consider any Further Issues as May be Required to Resolve the Request to
Recommend Additional Modifications to the PSPP Organizational Partners (OPs)
Partnership Project Agreement (PPA) to Better Reflect the Needs and Limitations of the
Public Safety Membership (PSM) Category
The Chair reported this item had been resolved at the OP meeting earlier in the week and had
been previously reported on at the Steering Committee meeting preceding the SSG meeting.
SA02_015 report Page 4 of 6
8 Discussion of Eventual SSG Working Groups
There was agreement that there was no need at this point to specifically differentiate between
the sub-areas of law enforcement, fire & disaster relief, ambulance & telemedicine, and
peacekeeping/civil defense. To assist with the development of the SoR, Mr. Dearlove presented
a matrix, SSG#02_011. This is a first attempt to identify the services in relation to
applications defined in the Project 25/34 SoRs. This document includes two tables, Table 1 on
Public Safety and Security Service Agency and Table 2 on Criminal Justice Services.
Using this document as a guide, there was agreement to divide SSG into two breakouts, one on
fire/EMS and the second on law enforcement. The SSG meeting was suspended at 14h50,
with the general session to reconvene at 16h45.
The SSG reconvened at 16h55 on Wednesday, 31 January. Mr. Behrens provided an update on
the fire situation, and noted that the original criteria were reformulated along the lines of thinking
in terms of creating situations that could be considered as worst case scenarios. Marilyn Ward
provided an update on the law enforcement situation and noted the group used the matrix as a
base, and then asked what items should reside underneath, with a second level added. Both
updates were noted with satisfaction. The Chair reported the SSG would re-convene at 08h30
on Thursday, 1 February (casual dress), with breakout sessions to continue. Given the
progression of work, Mr. Ring noted he envisioned that the SC closing plenary would be on
Thursday afternoon, 1 February. The SSG Chair suggested that the deadline for a new SoR
would tentatively be 1 May. There was no objection to suspending the SSG meeting at 17h15
on 31 January, with the Ad Hoc Group on Utilities meeting immediately after adjournment.
The SSG meeting was reconvened at 08h30 on Thursday, 1 February 2001.
At the invitation of the SSG Chair, Wayne Leland (Motorola USA, Chair TIA Private Radio
Section) highlighted the excellent, albeit limited, window-of-opportunity over the next 2-3 years
for the public safety user community to input their requirements for mobile broadband prior to
larger commercial interests dictating future growth.
Mr. Murphy inquired as to reports that Nortel Networks was no longer participating in PSPP. The
Secretary reported that Mr. McClellan had recently advised TIA staff that Nortel had suspended
their participation for the near-term as a result of adverse economic conditions in the
telecommunications industry. Nortel Networks was one of the entities that had invested
significant time and resources into the genesis of PSPP in 2000 and made many valuable
contributions to the project.
The output of the fire breakout and the output of the law enforcement breakout from the
previous day were reviewed as SSG#02_012 and SSG#02_013, respectively. Headings in both
categories were reviewed in detail and revised as appropriate. It was noted that there was a
difference between telemetry and data from the user’s perspective. The comment was made
that telemetry is more real-time whereas data is often needed as quickly as possible but not
necessarily in real-time. An example of this difference pertains to the continuous monitoring of
specific things vs. spontaneous transmission of “bursty” information. Another example given was
telemetry being auto dating and reporting vs. data being response to operator request. SC Chair
Steffen Ring suggested the completed output should be the first PSPP Technical Report.
The comment was made that the next layer beyond definitions is video. The SSG session was
suspended at 09h30 for resumption of the breakout sessions, with reconvening circa 13h05.
SA02_015 report Page 5 of 6
The SSG session reconvened at 13h15 on Thursday, 1 February. The Fire SoR Level 1 was
reviewed with a revised version subsequently distributed as SSG#02_012R1. The Law
Enforcement 2nd layer SoR was reviewed with a revised version subsequently distributed as
SSG#02_013R1. There was agreement to use these versions as a basis for further work on the
next version of the SoR. The Chair agreed to take the output documents from the SSG Task
Groups and combine them into a single expanded SoR requirements matrix for submission,
review and consideration at the next Project MESA meeting.
9 Discussion of New Work Items
Supplemental Names for Work of PSPP/Project MESA—Following up on the SC discussion of
31 January, a request was made for supplementary names, with GLOW, PROTECT, FAST, and
GREEN MESA added today.
Outreach for New Public Safety Entities Participating in PSPP/Project MESA—The Chair
noted the OPs did identify a Monday, 28 January, request from Red Cross to participate. It was
noted this was a legitimate request, but contact needed to follow to determine on what basis.
Likewise, there was a search and rescue organization, NASAR (National Association of Search
and Rescue), that was interested, which may be a member of NPSTC.
10 Creation of New Work Items
There were no items covered here that were not otherwise addressed elsewhere.
11 Use of Electronic Working Methods
As previously noted in past meetings, PSPP/Project MESA, including the work of the SSG, would
be conducted between meetings via e-mail and teleconference, wherever possible.
12 Any Other Business
There was no other business discussed that was not covered elsewhere.
13 Next Meetings, Adjournment
It was noted the next meeting of PSPP/Project MESA (#03) would likely be held in Copenhagen,
Denmark, in the September timeframe. [Secretary’s note: It was subsequently agreed at the
closing SC plenary, following the adjournment of the SSG meeting, to hold the third meeting of
PSPP/Project MESA at ETSI Headquarters in Sophia Antipolis, France, from 18-20 September
2001]. There being no further business to discuss, a motion by Mr. Stile to adjourn was
seconded by Mr. Nyberg and passed unanimously at 13h50 on Thursday, 1 February 2001.
SA02_015 report Page 6 of 6