McDowall State School P&C Association
Action List as at 21st May 2007
Item When Created Details By Whom By when Complete
1. Grants – March Meeting “…Maree to discuss tuckshop needs with subcommittee (tuckshop) and Maree Ongoing
Tuckshop perhaps apply for a grant for completion of interior fit-out…” Cath
Update: Di has donated shelving and quotes have been received for flooring.
Update: Flooring is finished. Phil to start shelving this weekend.
Update: The action is closed- However, Chris Smith and Cath Haskins to
be made ware that they can raise with Maree in relation to anything that the
tuckshop requires which may be able to be purchased through a grant
2. Grants – Early March Meeting “…perhaps the early years play areas could be a focus of the McDonald’s Maree Ongoing
years play areas grant…” Maree to further investigate.
Update: Soil has been delivered and used to raise and level play areas.
Further planting needed.
Update: Notice has been places in TT re free plants from BCC – families
encouraged to have rates notices stamped and return vouchers to office.
Update: McDonalds currently has a grant available for up to $10,000 per
year. Needs three quotes to apply for grant. Maree to meet with Bruce and
the SAC committee to decide which playgrounds need updating. Bruce made
mention that he would prefer the new platforms at the back of the year 2
classrooms not have a playground installed as he would like to have large
play areas available when the grass gets growing.
3. Grants – Water March Meeting “…Peter Waterson is keen to do something about water issues…” identify Grants TBA
possible grants and liaise with grants sub-committee Committee
Update: Grants Committee to meet with Bruce and Peter re a ‘Master Plan’
for the school and grants.
Joy getting information together for grant application which closes on 31/3 – Joy Ongoing
application based on water audit. Maree
Update: No feedback as yet. Ian McVicar happy to help out with grant
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\c3c40449-8eb7-482f-b5a7-4e9d9c789e7d.doc Page 1 of 7
Update: Ian McVicar, Bruce and Joy have looked into water grants. Decision
needs to be made regarding placement of tanks, how to get water out of
tanks, etc. Suggestion of having a water tank near the OSH building which
could be used to water the grass platforms. Ian McVicar to have an active
role in the water grants.
5. P&C Budget March Meeting “…budget is being finalised and will be distributed once completed…” Maree Next
Update: Budget is in draft from – details just need to be finalised.
Update: Hold over to next meeting in Maree’s absence.
Update: As quorum was not met at the Executive Meeting, budget will be
discussed at next meeting.
8. Tuckshop - March Meeting “…Phil Barnes would like the committee to do some form of de-briefing and Phil Barnes
Postmortem document the process…” Phil Barnes to organise meeting of subcommittee to Tuckshop Future
prepare document. Completed document to go in P&C “HOW TO… Book”. subcommittee Meeting
Update: Phil to draft ‘Guidelines for Construction’ document. Erica to
establish ‘HOW TO… Book’
Update: ‘HOW TO… Book’ established – includes templates (on CD) of all
Update: No comment at this stage. As it is not a high priority at the moment it
will be looked at a later date.
11. Executives’ March Meeting We need to provide the Department of Communities with certified copies of
Blue Cards the Executives’ blue cards (or certified copy of current applications) and Erica asap
details of committee members.
Update: Erica received a copy of Maree’s. Just awaiting Phil getting his card.
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\c3c40449-8eb7-482f-b5a7-4e9d9c789e7d.doc Page 2 of 7
15. Sub-Committee March Meeting All reports to be forwarded to Executive on the Tuesday prior to the meeting.
Reports Once approved by the Executive, they are to be forwarded to all committee Erica Ongoing Y
Update: Phil is very pleased with the great effort that all the sub-committee
chairs are putting into their reports and how well the change has been
16. OSH March Meeting Phil to investigate relationship between OSH and the P&C re
Expenditure expenditure/budget, etc. Phil to report back to next meeting. Phil Next
Update: Phil reported to meeting that OSH is not for profit. Surplus funds Kevin
must be spent on OSH or facilities in the school that OSH uses (eg- oval).
OSH budget to be approved by Executive. Fair degree of delegation to OSH
sub-committee within the guidelines of a clear budget. Phil to notify
committee members of this. Copy to go into SOB.
Update: This has been completed. Agreement to be finalised with Bruce,
Philip and Kevin.
17. You Can Do It March Meeting Desley Petersen needs to be contacted re running this again this year. David
Program is overseeing the program. Erica to contact David re this. David Next
Update: David to email Erica re Desley’s answer
18. Financial March Meeting Maree to forward a full copy of the financial report each month to Erica. Erica Maree Ongoing
Reports to forward report to members on request. Erica Y
19. ACTIONED Y
20. Passive Income March Meeting Anthony to investigate possible options to support. Anthony and Next Y
Earners Phil meeting
Update: Guest Speaker from QBE. Meeting agreed to go ahead with this.
Notice to go in TT with application forms and cover letter.
Update: Anthony advised that the forms are being finalised and printed.
21. Community March Meeting Proposal to investigate the possibility of creating a standalone newsletter Karen Later in the
Newsletter (funded by local businesses) in an attempt to build a partnership between the Veronica Year Y
school and the wider community. Report progress so far.
Update: Feasability (cost) needs to be done. Need to approach businesses in
person. Karen to report progress to next meeting.
Update: Meeting held with Philip and agreed that this project should be
moved to 2008. In addition to a community newsletter a donation program
could possibly be established as an alternative for those not wanting to take
out business sponsorship.
22. Communication March Meeting Formulate and create procedures for communication – to be included in Karen Next
Procedures Standing Order Book. Veronica Meeting
Update: Committee to meet with Phil and finalise procedures.
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\c3c40449-8eb7-482f-b5a7-4e9d9c789e7d.doc Page 3 of 7
Update: Committee met with Phil and objectives finalised for 2007. A
procedures document will be ready for June meeting.
24. Thanks re April Meeting Need to acknowledge Dean Roland and North Build. Article in TT and letter of Phil asap
Playground thanks and Certificate of Appreciation to be organised.
25. Insurance April Meeting P&C need a copy of all insurance schedules. Phil Next
Schedules Erica to email Alyson and forward copies to Phil. meeting
Update: All paid up to date with QCPCA. Philip to review insurance policies
to make sure everything is all okay.
26. P&C Brochure April Meeting Karen to utilise QCPCA example of P&C flyer and adapt to suit our needs. Karen To be raised
Also investigate cost of printing/supply. again at
Update: It has been decided to hold off on the printing of the P&C flyer until August
towards the end of the year. It will cost about $400. meeting
27. ACSEA AGM April Meeting Karen to liase with Kevin as to who should go. Karen Next
Update: Either Karen or Kevin to attend meeting and advise at the next P&C
meeting of outcome.
28. OSH MOU April Meeting Review of the Memorandum of Understanding. Acceptance of the updated Kevin Next
terms of the MOU will involve the purchase and installation of a kilowatt hour Phil meeting
meter (to measure the actual volume of electricity used by OSH) at $715. Bruce
Phil, Bruce and Kevin to meet and have details finalised for next meeting.
Update: Still being worked on.
Update: Agreed that the installation of the already purchased meter be done
at the OSH building. An electrician to be called out to install the meter and
install the projector on the ceiling. Ratified to call out the electrician. Moved:
Philip Barnes, Seconded: Maree Griffin. Carried.
29. Risk April Meeting Risk Management course. Roxanne and Julie recently completed a Risk Kevin Next
Management Management Course and recommend all staff (OSH and P&C) attend the Meeting
Course course. Proposal is to hold the course at the McDowall School for a flat fee of
$330. Attendees will be better prepared to identify risks in the workplace, and
understand the importance of informing management of those risks. Kevin to
circulate more information re this.
Update: To be presented to OSH Staff at a total cost of $330 for any number
of people to attend. Recommended by Philip that the Risk Management
Course be attended by all interested sub committee volunteers of the P&C
also. OSH employees are not to be paid to attend this course as it is part of
their employment. Meeting to take place at a reasonable time for most
people to be able to attend. Moved: Philip Barnes, Seconded: Ian McVicar,
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\c3c40449-8eb7-482f-b5a7-4e9d9c789e7d.doc Page 4 of 7
30. OSH Air April Meeting Adoption of recommendations following Air Conditioner system review. Kevin Kevin TBA
Conditioning to report to next meeting
Update: To be discussed at a later date.
31. Teacher Thanks April Meeting The P&C agree to fund a coffee van at the end of each term for a Teachers Janine Next
and Praise Day Thanks and Praise Day. Details and costs to be finalised. Phil Meeting
Update: Phil and Janine to meet and discuss details.
32. Donate a Ream April Meeting The P&C agree to run a donate a ream of paper program. Phil Next
of Paper Phil to write a letter to parents re this. meeting
Update: Philip to do an article in the TT regarding the donation of the ream of
33. Skilling April Meeting Karen would like to provide the P&C Executive with an information session Karen Next
Workshop about the QCPCA skilling workshop and if necessary follow up with meeting
information session for all the chairpersons of our sub-committees.
Karen to organise date and invitations
34. Prep Survey April Meeting Suggested that the Prep survey be copied and forwarded to all Prep Families Karen Next
with a covering note encouraging them to complete the form and return it to meeting
the teacher. Karen would then correlate the information and forward it to
Update: Memo and survey distributed to Prep parents in early May with
surveys to be returned by May 10. A summary of results will then be
forwarded to QCPCA by the end of May.
35. Plants for the April Meeting School is entitled to 50 shrubs per year. Each ratepayer is entitled to 2. Ian Ian Next
Playground keen to liase with Grants Committee re what might be available in regard to meeting
grants for plants. Ian keen to establish a school nursery. Ian to investigate
Update: Notice has been placed in TT.
Update: Ian McVicar to talk to Communication Committee re vouchers being
donated to the school for the plants that the council give away with the rates
36. Guest Speaker April Meeting Phil asked for suggestions to be brought to the next meeting re a guest Ian Next
speaker for the June meeting. meeting
Update: Hold off on the guest speakers at meetings at the moment.
Suggestion that the ‘Work for the Dole Program’ come out to school to speak
with the P&C – project manager supervises groups of people who come to
the school and work on any project. Ian McVicar to get contact details of a
contact for this program and give to Philip.
37. Traffic April Meeting More support needed for this committee. Veronica to advertise in TT. David Next
Committee Bruce meeting
Update: Volunteer has come forward so article not issued in TT at this stage.
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\c3c40449-8eb7-482f-b5a7-4e9d9c789e7d.doc Page 5 of 7
David, Philip and Bruce to meet to determine key issues in this area and then
numbers required to help will be made.
Update: Meeting Convened. Series of ‘Black Spot’, ‘Road Rule Campaign’
articles including maps, suggestions for alternative routes etc. to be produced
for TT in liaison with Police and BCC. (Contact to be made with Norm and
Warren Carpenter asap). 3 significant black spots identified at the meeting.
Update: Meeting to be organised with Bruce to discuss the outcomes of his
correspondence with BCC dated 14/2/07 (Safe Streets) re expansion options
for parent parking/drop off. Role of the P&C in traffic planning to be discussed
generally to ensure that everyone is ‘on the same page’.
38. Nursery May Meeting Ian Next
Ian McVicar is going to look into the costs associated with developing a
nursery at the school. Approx cost of large green house is $2,700. Ian to
verify costs, funding, how to keep plants alive, water tanks? Ideas to be
presented at next meeting.
39. Water Tanks May meeting Ian July Meeting
Suggestion by Ian McVicar to install three 30,000 litre water tanks on the
school oval at base of hill. Water could be used to water oval. Advisory
Council to be included in discussion on tank installations/ideas. Bruce has
spoken to council re availability of recycled water in the area. Currently there
is not enough water pressure running to the water system on the oval.
People have inspected the current watering system in place on the oval and
due to the age of it, it is no longer viable to repair. Questions raised: Does
the P&C want to attempt the large project of installing big tanks? How does
the water get used around the school? Storage of tanks? Water capturing
available at school?
Questions to be resolved with Ian, Peter Waterson and Bruce at a meeting to
take place in the near future. There are grants available for $50,000 for
water. Recommendations to be made at the July meeting.
40. Lapathon May Meeting Anthony Next
Letter to be sent home this week regarding the Lap-a-Thon. Letter is
currently with Bruce for signing off. Veronica Piercy to finalise the flyer to go
home with the letter which details the prizes which can be won depending on
how much money each student raises. Siblings can pool money in order to
win the bigger prizes. Notice to go up on the notice board at the front of the
school advertising the Lap-a-Thon is taking place. Bruce approved.
41. Movie Night May Meeting Anthony Next
Anthony looking into organising a movie night at the school. Norm to get back
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\c3c40449-8eb7-482f-b5a7-4e9d9c789e7d.doc Page 6 of 7
to Anthony with more details.
42. Theatre Night May Meeting Anthony Next
Anthony to look into the possibility of holding theatre nights at the Twelfth
Night Theatre. They will sell the tickets for their shows at a discount to the
school who will then sell the tickets at full price. Bruce has seen this
operating at other schools where it works well as a money making enterprise.
43. Westfield Shop May Meeting Veronica advised that Westfield’s have four competitions coming up where Veronica Next
for your School the school can earn bonus points: Mary meeting
Competition Recycled Art Competition - No
Kids get Active Challenge - Yes
Save the Tasmanian Devil - Yes
Planet Ark Skill Tree Day - Veronica to find out more
details. Veronica to contact Mary in relation to what is happening at
Chermside and what McDowall is going to enter into.
44. Projects Around May Meeting List of projects to be completed around the school, eg – path needs work Phil 1 June 2007
the School near the old OSH building. Any suggestions to be emailed to Phil so that a list Everyone
can be compiled of what needs to be done.
45. Building Fund May Meeting Philip/Veronica to draft a letter to be sent to parents regarding the tax benefits Veronica By 30 June
of donating to the building fund. This is to be done before the end of the Phil
financial year which is 30 June.
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\c3c40449-8eb7-482f-b5a7-4e9d9c789e7d.doc Page 7 of 7