Bihar: Midday Meal Survey Report for January’ 05
A random survey was conducted across 13 districts in Bihar from February 7-15, 2005.
The objective was to determine the number of days on which meal was provided to the
children in January’ 05. The survey was purposively conducted for the month of January,
to ascertain the implementation status after the notification of the state government was
passed on December 18, 2004, to implement MDM in the entire sate. Enquiries about
the execution of MDM were conducted in minimum three schools in each district. A total
of 52 schools were surveyed.
The information was collected from the teacher or the headmaster of the school,
whoever was available. Data on the number of days on which MDM was provided in
January (2005) was gathered. In addition, the school authorities were asked about the
reasons behind the non-implementation of the scheme in their school.
Out of the total number of 52 schools MDM was being provided only in three schools of
the Sitamarhi district namely – (i) Prathmik Vidalaya, Runnisaidpur (Block), Runnisaidpur
Madhya (panchayat),), (ii) Prathimik Vidyalaya, Runnisaidpur (Block), Ramnagar Bagahi
(village), and (iii) Prathimik Vidyalaya, Parihar (Block), Baburran (village). The schools
provided the meal for 15 days in the month of January.
Out of the remaining 49 schools, 11 have received money for utensils, while four
have made the purchases. Falling in the districts of Nalanda, Patna, Vaishali and
Muzaffarpur, the schools are yet to begin cooking. Variations were noted in the
funds received for purchasing utensils. For instance, two schools falling under
the same block and village of Muzaffarpur district have received different amounts
for utensils (one has received Rs. 2000, while the other Rs. 3000).
Three schools located in the Kalwahi and Mureth blocks of Madhubani districts,
have been informed by the DSE that MDM will begin after the elections, although,
they have not received any money or foodgrain for the same. Authorities in the
surveyed schools of Supual and Khagaria districts were found to be unaware of
the scheme, and said that they have not received any state guidelines for the
same. Three schools in Patna district have received grain from the block office,
but cooking has not yet started.
Midday Meal Survey, January, 2005
S. District Block Village Name of school MDM Remarks
1. Nalanda Harnaut Harnaut Government Middle N Money received for
2. Nalanda Harnaut Niyamatpur Govt. Primary School N Money received for
3. Nalanda Harnaut Harnaut Kanya Maha Vidalaya N Money received for
4. Nalanda Harnaut Sabnahuadih Primary School N Money not received
Grain not allocated.
5. Saharsa Kahra Badiyahi Mohan Sa Adarsh N On Jan 1, 2005, DSE came
Vidyalaya and got the meal cooked
and distributed. MDM, not
served ever since.
6. Saharsa Kahra Bangoan Maujay Madhya N MDM never implemented.
7. Samastipur Pusa Kubauliram Madhya Vidyalaya N Not started
8. Samastipur Pusa Kubauliram Prathmik Vidyalaya N Not started
9. Samastipur Pusa Khayya Prathmik Vidyalaya N Not started
10. Samastipur Pusa Khayya Prathmik Vidyalaya N Not started
11. Madhubani Bisfi Charrapatti Raj. Pr. Vidyalaya N Amount received for
utensils on Jan 31, 2005
12. Madhubani Bisfi Noorchak Vill Raj. Pr. Vidyalaya N No knowledge about MDM.
13. Mabhubani Andhrathari Rudrapur Raj. Pr. Vidyalaya N
14. Madhubani Andhrathari Namagar Raj. Pr. Vidyalaya N
15. Madhubani Andhrathari Bhagwatipur Raj. Pr. Vidyalaya N
16. Madhubani Bannipatti Nagda Nagda Madhya Vidy. N Recd. money for utensils.
DSE said that it will begin
17. Madhubani Bannipatti Mureth Madhya Vidy. N Recd. Rs. 2000 for utensils.
DSE has asked school auth
to lift rice from the Block
18. Madhubani Kalwahi Subhankarpur Govt. Primary School N Will begin after elections.
19. Madhubani Kalwahi Loha-Rajaswa Govt. Primary School N Will begin after elections.
20. Purbi Champaran Mehsi Chakalu Govt. Urdu Middle N MDM not started.
Purbi Champaran Mehsi Mirzapur Govt. Primary School N MDM not started.
Purbi Champaran Mehsi Sulsabad Govt. Primary School N MDM not started.
Paschimi Naut Maruaha Raj. Madhya Vidy. N Money for utensils not
Champaran provided by the state.
Paschimi Naut Hari Nagar
Paschimi Naut Sota
Buxar Kesar Kesar Prath. Vid N Not started
Buxar Kesar Kesar Kanya Prathmik Vid N Not started
Patna Paliganj Paalilakar Prath Vidy., Jhuggi- N Grain received. Utensils
Jhopri have been purchased.
Patna Paliganj Gulli-Kand Prath. Vid. N Grain received. Utensils
have been purchased.
Patna Paliganj Sehra Prath. Vid. N Utensils have been
Patna Paliganj Khapura Prath. Vid. N MDM never given
Patna Viham Andhrachauki Madh. Vid. N Utensils have been
Patna Viham Masuda Telya Prath. Vid. N Amount for utensils
Patna Viham Maner telya Raj. Prath. Vid. N Amount for utensils
Patna Viham Mehsara Kanya Mad. Vid. N Amount for utensils
36. Vaishali Guraual Bishnupur Bejha Prath. Vid. N Cheque received. Don’t
know who will cook. Grain
37. Vaishali Guraual Dhanraj Prath. Vid. N Not provided
38. Vaishali Guraual Saitpur Prath. Vid. N Amount for utensils
39. Vaishali Guraual Khatari Chak Prath. Vid. N Not provided
40. Vaishali Mahua Gorigama Prath. Vid. N Grain received. MDM not
41. Vaishali Mahua Tajpur Prath. Vid. N No MDM.
42. Sitamarhi Runnisaidpur Runnisaidpur Prathmik Vidyalaya Y Given for 15 days in the
Madhya month of January, 2005.
43. Sitamarhi Runnisaidpur Ramnagar Prathmik Vidyalaya Y Given for 15 days in the
month of January, 2005.
44. Sitamarhi Parihar Baburrah Prathmik Vidyalaya Y Given for 15 days in the
month of January, 2005.
45. Muzaffarpur Gayaghat Ramnagar Raj. Prath Vid, N Advance recd. for utensils-
Musahari Tola Rs. 3000
46. Muzaffarpur Gayaghat Ramnagar Raj. Prath Vid, N Advance recd. for utensils-
Kanyainaar Tola Rs. 2000
47. Supaul Triveniganj Daparkha Madhya Vid. N Has not started.
48. Supaul Triveniganj Latauna Madhya Vid. N Don’t know about it.
49. Khagaria Aloli Aloli (north) Pathmik Vidalaya N The scheme has not
50. Khagaria Khagaria Sansarpur Harijan Prathmik N The scheme has not
51. Khagaria Khagaria Vidyarthi Tola Prathmik Vidyalaya N The scheme has not