Pushing the Envelope
What is an Observation?
Gathering information using your five senses.
What is an Inference?
• A logical conclusion made from a chain
of reasoning or answers derived
through reasoning from observable
• Example: No human beings ever saw dinosaurs
walking on the Earth. But scientist use fossil
evidence to reconstruct the appearance and
behavior of dinosaurs. (They have been extinct
for more than 60 million years.
What kind of work does
a detective do?
What kind of detective work
do you think a geologist
Trevor saw a puddle of water on the
sidewalk on his way to school today.
He thought that the Lee family must
have watered their lawn earlier this
1. What did he observe?
2. What did he infer from his
3. Why do you think Trevor made that
Making Envelope Inferences
1. The construction of the envelope
2. Where was its point of origin?
3. Who sent it?
4. How did it travel from one place to
5. What was its destination?
6. How many people handled the envelope?
7. Who received it?
8. Do you know anything about the person
who sent it or received it?