CLIENT RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Association for Advancement of Mental Health
Every client that receives the services of AAMH is made aware of their rights. AAMH
will promote your rights as a consumer of service throughout the course of your treatment. If
you have any questions regarding your rights, use this information as a guide or speak with any
clinical associate of AAMH.
1. You will be informed of your rights and responsibilities during the admission process and
throughout your involvement at AAMH through the direct service provided, education and
this written statement of client rights.
2. You will receive a copy of the “client’s rights” and will have the opportunity to obtain
clarification on any of the information regarding client's rights at any time during your
participation at AAMH.
3. You have the right to reasonable access to care regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, ethnicity, age or disability.
4. You have the right to service that promotes personal dignity, and respects your individual
value and belief systems. You have the right to be treated in a safe, and sanitary environment,
which provides for privacy and confidentiality of information
5. You will be informed of your rights in a language that you can understand. AAMH will
make every reasonable effort possible to ensure this is achieved.
6. You will be informed of AAMH rules and regulations concerning the conduct of individuals
7. You have the right to individualized treatment that is provided in the least restrictive
environment possible in order to achieve the goals of treatment/services, and facilitated by an
adequate number of competent clinicians.
8. You have the right to be informed of the individualized recovery plan schedule and
encouraged to participate in all aspects of the plans development.
9. You will not be subjected to non-standard treatment or procedures, experimental procedures
or research or provider demonstration projects, without written informed consent, after
consultation with counsel or interested party of client’s choosing.
10. You have the right to be free from corporal punishment.
11. You have the right to treatment in the least restrictive setting, free from physical restraints
12. You have the right to reasonable access to and use of a telephone.
13. You have the right to have all clinical information kept confidential, unless you give written
consent to disclose specific information to another designated party.
14. You have the right to have access to your clinical record. Information will be released upon
written request and after discussion with their primary clinician.
15. You have the right to refuse recommended treatment.
16. You have the right to refuse medication. You have the right to be free from unnecessary or
17. You will have the right to obtain a personal advocate when appropriate. You will have
access to the identified agency ombudsperson.
18. You will have the opportunity to participate in program planning and agency evaluation.
AAMH provides periodic service and program evaluations. Clients will complete satisfaction
surveys, provide written comments on service and have the opportunity to be represented by
or attend the Client Advisory Council.
19. You have the right to file a complaint/grievance.
20. You will be informed of your financial responsibility and receive information regarding all
fees as they apply to your own financial means. It is your responsibility to ensure that all
agreed upon fees for services rendered are received by AAMH. AAMH does not restrict care
as a result of any individual's inability to pay for service.
I, ___________________________ have reviewed, understand and received a copy of the
Client’s printed name Client's Rights and Responsibilities.
Client’s Signature Date
AAMH Clinician Signature/Title/Degree Date