JOB TITLE: Office Manager
REPORTS TO: Physician Owners
SUPERVISES: Clinic Staff & Reception
The Office Manager is responsible for the financial, facilities and general business
operations of Dermatology and Laser Center. Some responsibilities listed below may
be accomplished through the delegation of duties to other individuals and through
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Human Resources & Supervision
1. Supervises assigned personnel which includes hiring, training, directing,
coaching, disciplining (including providing recommendations for termination), and
conducting performance appraisals to ensure efficient and effective office work
2. Manages Human Resources function such as compensation system oversight,
benefits coordination, legal compliance, payroll coordination, worker’s
compensation, employee paperwork, personnel files, etc.
3. Facilitates effective organizational communication, including coordinating regular
all staff meetings.
4. Coordinates time off schedules to ensure proper coverage.
5. Coordinates medical staff credentialing process.
6. Coordinates in-service and other trainings to ensure properly trained staff.
7. Coordinates payroll process.
1. Maintains clinic budget including monitoring expenditures, preparing and
analyzing monthly financial statements and reports. Updates Owner Physicians
on DLC financial status
2. Oversees accounts payable and accounts receivable systems for accurate and
timely payment of bills and collections receipt.
3. Maintains office accounts and ensures that money is properly handled to
optimize revenue (investments, money market account, checking account, etc.).
4. Maintains and negotiates current service fee schedule.
5. Acts as liaison between physician and advisors (accountants, attorneys and
consultants) overseeing implementation of recommendations.
November 2011 1
1. Negotiates or oversees negotiations of contracts with third party insurances
(Regence, Premeria, Group Health , etc.) Trains staff on necessary contract
2. Negotiates and approves contracts or agreements with suppliers, distributors,
federal and state agencies, and other organizational entities.
3. Analyzes operations to evaluate performance of the center and determine areas
of potential cost reduction, program improvement, or policy change.
4. Coordinates strategic business plan design and implementation.
5. Identifies risk management strategies and manages implementation.
6. Remains up-to-date on laws and regulations that affect the facility’s business
systems and ensures compliance, including OSHA and WISHA programs and
1. Ensures that the facilities are well maintained, including selecting and ordering
appropriate equipment, supplies and services in a timely manner.
2. Ensures proper insurance is maintained.
Public/Customer Relations & Marketing
1. Handles and resolves patient service complaints.
2. Oversees development of marketing and public relations programs (such as web-
3. Presents organizational services at various forums, meetings, and community
4. Provides tours, information and builds relationships with medical community,
medical society, potential future service providers, community stakeholders, etc.
5. Cultivates relationships and recruits for potential future service providers.
Information Technology & Electronic Records
1. Manages electronic medical record system to ensure accurate, secure medical
2. Maintains and administers computer networks and systems including computer
hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
3. Assists in the selection and procurement of other medical systems and
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Attends staff meetings, conferences, trainings or other company events as
2. Performs other duties as assigned by the Physician Owners.
Education, License, and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Healthcare Administration, Finance/ Accounting or
Three or more year’s management experience (including financial management and
November 2011 2
Management experience in a health care setting preferred.
Valid Washington driver’s license and proof of insurance for necessary travel.
An equivalent combination of education and experience listed above to successfully
perform the duties of this position may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of financial management and budgetary processes, including a thorough
working knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles.
Knowledge of federal and state laws applicable to managing in the health care
Basic knowledge of human resources management principles, practices and
Strong supervisory skills, including problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to represent
the clinic in a public setting.
Proficiency with computers and software, including Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
Ability to develop center goals and motivate others toward action.
Ability to work with diverse groups.
GENERAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Most of work is performed in medical clinic setting which requires the ability to freely
move about the facility. May require standing or sitting for long periods of time.
Position requires hand manipulative skills for word processing and writing. Must be able
to hear verbal conversations over the phone and in-person with background noise.
Must be able to consistently identify objects and persons at a distance and read fine
print on various forms.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of
this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not
be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as
assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work
periods or otherwise to balance the workload. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for
employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
November 2011 3