Guide student visa extension by shazaim


									        Student Visa Extension – Applying IN the UK
                                                                                     September 2011
1. This guide is intended to be used with the ISAS website, please make sure you have read all the information on the
‘Applying for a Student visa’ page on the ISAS website:

2. Register with the Interlink mailing list. ISAS will use Interlink to inform students of changes to the immigration rules that
may affect their applications. For details on how to join see:

3. For information on how to extend your student visa please read the information on the webpage below:


4. From the webpage below you will need the following four PDF documents


       Tier 4 Application Form
       Help Text
       Guidance Notes – please note new guidance applies for applications made from 21st April 2011.
       Photo Guidance

5. Gather the evidence required for your application, it must meet the UKBA requirements in full. ISAS advise there where
possible you make your visa application 3 months before your visa is due to expire.

You need a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) to apply for a visa extension. This is issued by the University
and how you get this will depend on if you are a ‘new student’ or a ‘continuing student’. The CAS statement will be sent
to you via email and will confirm your course details and payments made to the University. The CAS will take time to
produce so apply as soon as possible.

New Students (in or about to commence first year of course): You should be issued with a CAS from Admissions
(Aston Webb) for details see:

Continuing students (not in first year of course): You need to request a CAS from the Enquiry Services counter in the
Aston Webb Building. Details of what you need:

5. Complete the Tier 4 form using the Help Text, Guidance Notes and information from the CAS.

6. If you would like parts of your form to be checked by an adviser or for ISAS to submit your application through the
Batch Scheme please see our website ‘Making a student visa application’, for upcoming workshops, information on the
Batch Scheme and how to book an appointment.

For any dependants applying with you, you will need to read the information on our website under ‘Your Family’s

                                   Appointments with International Student Advisers

       During busy times of the year ISAS can only offer each student one appointment with an adviser per visa
        extension, so you need to be well prepared for your appointment to make the best use of the time allocated. Book
        an extra appointment if you also have an application for your dependant.

       Before your appointment you need to complete the Tier 4 application form and document checklist overleaf. You
        must bring your completed application form and all evidence to the appointment.

       Please note that due to the length of the Tier 4 form the adviser will not check your whole form, you must bring a
        list of questions with you to your appointment.

       Where students have not completed the above steps before coming to their appointment the adviser reserves the
        right to terminate the appointment.

        You, the student, will retain responsibility for ensuring that (a) all sections of your form have been
         completed and (b) that you post or submit your application for the Batch scheme.

                                                               Student Checklist

Documents you need to enclose                                                                                            Tick
Note: this list is not exhaustive and must be read with the UKBA Guidance Notes.
Postal Orders payable to the ‘Home Office’
2 passport sized photographs (check using the UKBA photo guidance)
Passport(s), (all passports or travel documents used to enter or remain in the UK including UK ID card)
Valid CAS number - the CAS statement does not need to be sent. Do not use a CAS number which has been used
for a refused application.
Academic qualifications if listed in the CAS – see translation information at bottom of table
UK Police registration certificate if applicable
Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate – check on ISAS webpage to see if required. ATAS
certificates usually take at least 4 weeks to be issued.
Driving licence – if you have had any driving offences in the UK
Evidence showing change of name - if applicable (e.g. through marriage)
Students under the age of 18 years –letter from parents/guardians as per UKBA guidance notes
If you do not have an official financial sponsor:

Personal bank or building society statements provided by the bank*:

         covering a 28 day period in which the money has never dropped below the minimum amount required by
          the UKBA
         ending no more than 1 month before the date of your application
         including your name
         the account number
         the date of the statement
         the financial institution’s name and logo
         the amount of money available

*You can use electronic bank statements from an online account if they include all the information above. Each
electronic bank statement should also be stamped by the official stamp of the bank on every page of the statement.
For details of alternative evidence please refer to the UKBA Guidance Notes.
If you have an official financial sponsor:

An original letter from your official financial sponsor:

         on official letter-headed paper or stationery of the organisation
         with the official stamp of that organisation
         including your name
         the name and contact details of your official financial sponsor
         the date of the letter
         the length of your sponsorship
         the amount of money the sponsor is giving to you or a statement that the official financial sponsor will
          cover all of your fees and living costs.
         the sponsor should write that they give ‘unconditional consent to you continuing your studies in the United
          Kingdom and extending your visa for this purpose’ (consent only needed if the sponsor pays both your
          fees and living costs and is not the University of Birmingham or University abroad).

If your official financial sponsorship has ended within the last 12 months:

         An original letter from your former official financial sponsor providing their unconditional consent to you
          continuing your studies in the United Kingdom and extending your visa for this purpose
If documents are not in English you must provide a translation from a professional translator/translation company,
that includes:

        details of the translator/translation company credentials
        confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
        the translator/translation company’s contact details
        the date
        the translators original signature or authorised official of the translation company (and if your translation
         was not made in the UK the full name of the translator/translation company authorised official)
        it should be on the company’s official letter headed paper or stationery
All the above documents must be originals. The originals are sent with your application.
If you are self submitting, you must have photocopies of all the above documents to keep for your records

Low-risk countries and documents to submit
If you are from a low-risk country and are applying after 4 July 2011, you should still collect all the evidence listed above.
However, if you are applying by post you won't need to submit academic qualifications or financial evidence with your
application. Instead, the UKBA can ask for it when it is processing your visa application. If you are asked for this
evidence while your application is being processed, you will be given a deadline by which to provide it. If you fail to
provide the documents when they are asked for, your visa application will be refused. If you are applying in person you
must take all your evidence with you.

Which countries are low-risk?
The low risk countries are Argentina, Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand,
Singapore, South Korea, Trinidad and Tobago, and the United States of America. The same rules will apply to you if you
are a British national overseas.

Translating Documents

Please use our Interpreters and Translators Guide for information on how to get documents translated in the UK:

Paying for Your Application - Postal Orders

The best way to pay for your application is using postal orders. If your application will be made through the Batch
Scheme then you must buy postal orders and bring these to your appointment. Postal Orders are paid for in advance
which means that your payment is processed easily and quickly by UKBA.

Postal Orders are available from UK Post Offices, and you pay the amount directly to the Post Office. A Postal Order can
be issued for any amount up to £250. This means that for a single Student visa extension application you will get 2 postal
orders. For each Postal Order the Post Office will charge a commission, this will be approximately £20 for the student
visa extension fee.

When you buy the Postal Orders ask the Post Office to make them payable to the ‘Home Office’. This will mean that only
the Home Office can use the Postal Order. On the back of the Postal Order you need to write the name, nationality and
date of birth of the person whose visa application it is being used for. Do not put this information in the part of the Postal
Order concerning donations to Charity or below the line near the bottom of the Postal Order.

You will be given a receipt for each Postal Order you buy, please make sure you keep this safe.

The nearest Post Offices to the University are:

City Centre: 131 Corporation Street, Birmingham. B4 6PH
Selly Oak: 8 Oak Tree Lane, Birmingham, West Midlands. B29 6HX

You can find directions for these by using Google Maps:

Further Action: students submitting through the Batch scheme:

    1. The UKBA will write to you asking you to book a biometrics appointment. Follow the instructions on the letter.
    2. After attending the biometrics appointment the UKBA will start to process your application.
    3. Do not make any travel arrangements until you have received your passport and ID card. During busy periods
       such as September to April, it takes 7-14 weeks for the UKBA to make a decision on an application (but it can
       take longer). ISAS will inform you when your documents have arrived.

Further Action: students not using the Batch scheme and submitting by post:

    1. Do a final check of your application form and all evidence
    2. Take copies of your form and all evidence
    3. You must post your application by Special Delivery –see the instructions on page 4.

    4. The UKBA will then write to you, asking you to book a biometrics appointment. Follow the instructions on the
    5. After attending your biometrics appointment the UKBA will start to process your application.
    6. Do not make any travel arrangements until you have received your passport and ID card. During busy periods
       such as September to April, it takes 12-14 weeks for the UKBA to make a decision on an application (but it can
       take longer).

Students self submitting - posting your application.

If you are posting your application, use Special Delivery as this service is specifically designed for posting important
documents such as passports.

When you pay for Special Delivery you are given a receipt with a reference number, you must keep the receipt as proof
that you sent your application. You can use this reference number to check that your documents have been received, to
do this use the ‘Track and Trace’ facility at

Special Delivery is available at any Post Office, and the Greeting Card shop in University Centre.

The very latest that you can post your application to the UKBA by Special Delivery is on the date your visa expires-if
the Post Office is open on that date. You MUST keep your special delivery receipt as proof of posting. ISAS strongly
advise that you do not send your application this late, as if the UKBA reject or refuse your application, when you are
notified of this your visa will have expired and this will have serious immigration consequences.

You do not need to include return postage in your application; the UKBA will automatically return your documents by
Special Delivery.

Sources of help

The International Student Advisory Service (ISAS):
Immigration advice can only be given by the advisers in appointments or via email.
Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 9 am – 5.00 pm, Friday: 9 am - 4.00 pm
Tel: 0121 414 8464 Email: Website:

UK Border Agency (UKBA) website:
UKBA telephone number to book in person applications: 0870 606 7766
Online booking for appointments for in person applications and providing biometrics:

UKCISA Website and Advice Line:
The Council for International Education provides advice and information to international students studying in the UK. The
UKCISA Students' Advice Line is open from Monday to Friday, 1- 4pm and can be contacted by telephone on 020 7107

                                   International Student Advisory Service (ISAS)
                      Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 9 am – 5.00 pm, Friday: 9 am - 4.00 pm
           Tel: 0121 414 8464 Email: Website:
               Address: International Student Reception, Aston Webb Building, University of Birmingham,
                                          Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT.

  The information in this Information Sheet is given in good faith and has been carefully checked.
  The University of Birmingham through ISAS, however, accepts no legal responsibility for its
  This guide has been produced by the International Student Advisory Service (ISAS), Student Life
  Division, University of Birmingham. It should be used for guidance purposes only and is not a complete
  or authoritative statement of the UK Immigration rules. The University of Birmingham does not accept
  any liability for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused to you as a result of any act or omission by
  you following your use of this guide. It remains your sole responsibility to make proper enquiry and to
  take such advice as you deem appropriate in relation to the application to you of the UK Immigration
  legislation, rules and policy.
  For full details of the UK Immigration Rules and Policy please refer to the UK Border Agency website:
  This guide may not be copied or reproduced in any form without the permission of ISAS, Student Life                       4
  Division, Aston Webb Building, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham Created on 14/12/09

To top